Should I purchase a smaller semi-numismatic gold coin?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by ColonialCoin4, Sep 9, 2017.

1. ColonialCoin4

ColonialCoin4 Active Member

I've been thinking about buying a Edward the Seventh or Queen Victoria half sovereign, a Nicholas the Second five rubles, or perhaps a German Wilhelm the Second 10 mark. Which do you think is the better option?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of sovereigns myself. I have 12 sovereigns. They have a great design, good history and you can get them pretty close to melt. I'm not sure about the others though.

spirityoda likes this.
  4. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

All good choices. Depends on grade. In better grades I would go for the 10 mark or 5 ruble as they are likely to hold their value more. Sovereigns tend to track spot more. Of course, they will probably cost more in the first place. In lower grades go with the sovereign.

5. ColonialCoin4

In terms of design, which monarch would you recommend?

6. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I don't see it as relevant if you are buying it for the bullion.

ColonialCoin4 likes this.
  7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

8. ColonialCoin4

Well, if the two coins are similar in price, size, and gold content that might be the deal breaker

9. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Well, the 5 rouble is 0.1245 oz, the half sovereign is 0.1177 oz and the 10 mark is 0.1152 oz. So the rouble is quite a bit bigger, about 8% bigger than the mark. So they are not really similar in size or gold content. As I said, it all depends on grade.

10. ColonialCoin4

All right thank you for giving me advice. I'll let you guys know when I make my decision.

11. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

If you like the coin and want it for your collection sure. But as someone that has bought and sold a lot of 'semi numismatic' gold coins my advice would be to expect that you'll be getting around spot when selling it and any premium paid will likely be a loss so make sure you find the right deal if that is a concern.

Johndoe2000$ and Jason.A like this.
  12. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Bingo

13. rte

rte Well-Known Member

The older the rarer the closest to spot is the best, not necessary in that order.
    Buy what you like.

ColonialCoin4 likes this.
  14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I bought this 1918-S Australia Sovereign for $460.00 I am sure it is mint state, but I can't remember what grade number it is (63-64) ? I never regretted it either. it is nice to have numismatic gold. as sakata said before it's all about grade/rarity. some will cost more some will cost less. be happy with the coins you choose because you will looking at them and maybe showing them off to us.

DSC_8290 copy.jpg
    DSC_8292 copy.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted