Should I invest? Gold or silver?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by CoinKeeper, May 29, 2009.

1. 1970 Silver Art

1970 Silver Art Silver Art Bar Collector

I would normally say check at APMEX.com but you are in Canada and I do not know if APMEX ships to Canada. I live in the U.S. and I am used to recommending APMEX to people online.

You might want to do a google search on 1/2 oz gold to see which online dealers have 1/2 oz gold coins and can ship to Canada.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinKeeper

CoinKeeper Keeper of Coins

APMEX doesn't ship to Canada, which is really unfortunate...lot's of good stuff on the site.

I'm also looking at francs or sovereigns.

4. 1970 Silver Art

1970 Silver Art Silver Art Bar Collector

I am sorry that APMEX does not ship to Canada. I would see if you can google online coin dealers and see which ones ship to Canada. Once you find which online coin dealers can ship to Canada, I would check those online coin dealers to see if they have francs or sovereigns.

5. Danr

Danr Numismatist

I find it hard to give specific advice to an individual on investing. Though I do have pretty good success guessing up/down momentum (which is not that hard to do really). To me it seems like gold has temporary upward momentum but long term it is overvalued (just my opinion).

6. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Sometimes the premium is high, sometimes lower. When you go to sell, you'll net the premium too, and if gold and silver rise, the premium might be over 20% as it has been in past bull markets. Some people whould rather hold the silver, and others would feel safer with the metal in a bank vault that is audited twice a year. It is also much easier to resell without shopping around for someone who won't hit you with a large discount. CEF and GTU aren't for everyone, but meet the needs of most true metal investors. I just wanted to throw that out for consideration by those who separate their collecting from investing habits.

7. CoinKeeper

I got a 1932 Dutch 10 Gulden coin with 0.1947oz of gold (0.900 fineness) for $190, and the gold value of it is $191. Just below spot! Yes!

8. sunsetcliff

sunsetcliff Junior Member

Silver- 1 ounce rounds. Or Silver eagles. No higher then 10 oz bars!!!

Junk silver is good too.

Touch nothing from China.

9. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

Scientific fact, that Gold is rare in the Universe. For every atom of gold there are 1 million atoms of Iron and 1000 quadrillion dollars.

Which do you think is harder to come by and has more value, gold, iron or the dollar?

10. Morgan1878

Morgan1878 For A Few Dollars More..

It's likely that the Canadian dollar will rise in the future and the U.S. dollar will fall. There's very little gamble in holding on to your Canadian dollars.

Canada has a commodity (oil, gas, minerals, grains, etc) based economy and should do well globally.

As for the price of gold, it will probably rise over the next 2-3 years as inflationary pressures increase.

If however, you are trying to make a quick profit (day trade)..you will need luck.

Predicting the day to day price of anything stocks, bonds or gold has many pitfalls. Your trade can go sour just based on the type of news the market happens to see on any one day.

A long term view tends to neutralize the daily ups & downs..

11. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Interesting! For every atom of gold there are 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 dollars? Where did you come across this fact?

12. CoinKeeper

I ended up getting 0.5oz of gold in a 2.5 peso mexican coin, 10 gulden dutch coin, and a 1959 full sovereign (check my avatar). I got them for just 3% over spot if you include shipping, a great deal indeed.

I'm also getting 40oz of silver for $16/oz!!

13. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

This morning I noticed gold has dropped down to the $975. level and is still dropping it might be a buy time soon!

14. JoeSmith

JoeSmith Member

Yankee is understating the number of dollars. Most money isn't paper currency, its numbers written in a ledger. Actually, its not even written in a ledger, its on a computer. There is no limit to the number of dollars.

What happens when the cumputer gets destroyed, by a nuke perhaps? Your dollars will be vaporized.

15. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

I got more gold today on the dip I hope this turns out to be wise

16. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I hope you are correct. Sometimes it takes a little time for the market to validate a purchase, so be patient. Almost nobody buys at the exact low.

Draft saved Draft deleted