Should I get out of the Stock Market?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Adam34falcon, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Well-Known Member

I still have and play the sax. Wish I still had the JNJ stock though.
    the silver, meh ...

jwitten likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

Absolutely not.

4. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Excellent question, Adam, but not an easy one to answer. There are quite a few variables to consider. I guess my first questions to you are...

Why are you asking this question? What are your goals (college, first home, etc.)? Why aren't your investments in a tax advantaged account?

Is risk management your concern? Are you worried that the stock market is overpriced...or a currency crisis is imminent?

What advice do you get from your Mother/Father?

Btw, you've received a lot of good advice on this thread already.

"Park your money in a low cost S&P 500 Index fund and forget about it."

However, I suspect you're looking for a more nuanced response.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  5. ilmcoins

ilmcoins Knows a little bit, not much.

So it sounds like nice saxophones are better investments than silver! Haha

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Whether or not one should sell stocks is really just a question of what stock it is. The market is up as a whole but that means nothing with individual companies. Are we talking shares of aAmazon/Apple/Google type company or shares of a RadioShack type. Being in stocks over pms is the right place to be. At your age I’d probably buy something like google or Amazon and you’ll probably be very happy in a few decades

7. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I say stick to the market. You got a great thing going there. Maybe look at the companies you are in and switch around if you have to. When you get a little extra cash buy some coins every once in awhile, numis or bullion. Either one is cool.

8. Old Texas Reb

Old Texas Reb Member

Stay in stocks by all means! I'm pretty impressed that you have a nice start in building a stock portfolio at your age.

If I were you I would do some research and select 3-4 large cap stocks that pay dividends and have a good history of increasing them over time. You can buy company stock direct with a minimal transaction fee through Computershare (www.computershare.com). Stocks are listed both by name and stock trading symbol. Downloadable sign-up forms to start an account are also available. Since you are a minor, one or both of your parents will have to be on the account with you.

I'll give you an example of the power of reinvested dividends. In 1990 and 1991 my wife & I bought $18,000 in Exxon stock through Computershare and reinvested the dividends until 2006 when we switched to getting quarterly dividend checks. At current market value our Exxon shares are now worth about $125,000 and generate about $400 per month income for us.

Good luck!

Draft saved Draft deleted