Should I be concerned

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by MMiller750, Apr 23, 2016.

1. MMiller750

MMiller750 Active Member

Good evening everyone,

I don't usually buy silver bars but I was searching the new listings on Ebay and this listing popped up. I was a little weary at first just due to the price and it doesn't look like anything I have seen before. Due to the price and always worried about missing out on a deal I took a chance and bought it. It looks like silver and the guy has great feedback and 5 star for all categories, but I just can't fathom anyone selling silver $2 below spot per ounce, and on top of that Ebay fees. He does have a 14 day return policy which was kinda my deciding factor. Any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182104120369?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. OxJaw

OxJaw Senior Member

I would be leery. Make sure you weigh them and do a specific gravity test. There are plenty of videos online showing how to do a specific gravity test.

4. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

It looks like those bars were poured in a backyard. Kind of cool. Silver has been fluctuating up and down a lot lately so the lower price per ounce is not necessarily something to be concerned about when you're dealing with a larger quantity like this. With that said, I'd have one of those bars assayed somewhere to check for purity after you get them.

5. MMiller750

MMiller750 Active Member

6. Nycmacman

Nycmacman Active Member

7. MMiller750

MMiller750 Active Member

I kinda like the look of it, I like that rugged look. It doesn't fit with the rest of my collection though. I was looking through his other auctions and completed listings and it looks as though he is liquidating someones collection or antiques, although not much for coins. I guess I will keep everyone updated, I have high hopes to say the least though :shame:

8. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

silver bars YES - BUT what% - it will cost you to verify!!

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Could be coin silver and a mix of many denominations. seller may not be sure of purity. they look good.

10. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

You already bought it therefor you decision has been partially made. A scale, calipers, an acid testing kit and a loupe are basics you must have to become a collector. That and especially books about the subject are a necessity. I would suggest getting these tools as a precaution for any further concerns. If you are a serious YN, start a conversation with me and we can talk more about it.

Paul M. likes this.
  11. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

@saltysam-1 is right. For these silver bars, you really want to have a scale and a way to measure the volume of the bars. From the weight and volume, you can calculate density/specific gravity and compare to known reference values for .999 fine silver. You should also get yourself a small neodymium magnet. Silver is not magnetic, but is paramagnetic. A magnet will not stick to the silver, but, if you angle the bar at a 45 degree angle and slide the magnet down it, it will slide rather slowly due to its paramanetism. Also, google the "ice test" for silver. These tests are all non-destructive.

For testing the outer surface to determine if it's silver or not, a quick and dirty way is the bleach test. For this, you put a tiny drop of bleach on the bar and observe the reaction. Pure silver will turn black almost instantaneously. Don't do this on fine art bars, obviously, because it will put a nice, big, black spot on it.

An acid test kit works on a similar principle to the bleach test. By observing a chemical reaction, you can determine if something is silver, gold, or copper. It uses nitric acid, which is a very strong acid and should be handled with extreme care.

Both the bleach test and the acid test are somewhat destructive tests, and should not be done on coins with numismatic value or collectible art bars or rounds. The other tools @saltysam-1 referred to (calipers, loupe, books) are far more useful for coins and art rounds/bars than they are for generic bars.

Hope that helps!

PS I'd get a scale with at least .01g resolution. There are several 500 x .01g scales available on Amazon for around $10 that will do the trick.

NOS likes this.
  12. MMiller750

MMiller750 Active Member

I don't plan on getting into the bullion market, I think I am going to stick to the coin market but couldn't pass up a good buy. I just wanted to get some expert opinions before buying and selling fake bars if they weren't silver. I did end up buying a $10 scale just to have.

Thanks everyone!

Pickin and Grinin and Paul M. like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted