Severina..possibly the 1st and only woman to rule classical Rome in her own name

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gregarious, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Restitutor

Restitutor Well-Known Member

Been looking forward to reviving this thread for some time since desiring a Severina coin! I must say before learning anything about this coin I really thought the crescent behind her was just a super impressive and dramatic piece of her outfit! If only!

Severina, Rome, Antoninianus, 3.84g, RIC-3. Obv: SEVERINA AVG Bust draped r. on crescent, wearing stephane. Rx: CONCO - RDIA AVGG Aurelian and Severina clasping hands, officina 3

59A102D8-0EF3-4B17-87AB-BED8349468BF.jpeg A1F4712D-CA58-4A81-8278-AA4CE3E55AF4.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

At least the empresses were not forced to wear a false beard as in ancient Egypt when Hatshepsut was sole ruler.

Restitutor and DonnaML like this.
  4. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

I have only one coin of Severina. I originally had an antoninianus, but decided I would rather have another denomination (as or denarius).

Severina
    AE As

[​IMG]

Date: January-September AD 275.
    Obv: SEVERINA AVG, draped bust right, wearing stephane.
    Rev: IVNO REGINA, Juno standing left, holding patera and scepter; to left, peacock standing left; Z.
    Diameter: 24mm
    Weight: 7.79 grams
    Mint: Rome
    RIC V 7
    Ex: CNG, Jack A. Frazer Collection, Triton IV (2000)

5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

My Severina has no mustache!

Severina VENVS FELIX jpg version.jpg

Unless she was just bleaching the hairs on her upper lip.

Actually, @Roman Collector explained a couple of years ago that the appearance of a mustache and beard on Severina's coins is something of an optical illusion:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/billon-denarii-of-aurelian-and-severina.320526/#post-3142872

"It's unfortunate that the deeper patina tends to be black and when the lighter-colored surface patina is removed from the high points during cleaning, it always looks like she has a Van Dyke beard . . . . Or even a full beard!"

Draft saved Draft deleted