Billon denarii of Aurelian and Severina

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

The denarius was one of the longest-lived denominations in Roman history. It circulated continuously for a period of more than 450 years -- from its introduction in c. 212 BC through the last large issue of Gordian III in AD 240. Thereafter, it was struck only rarely, primarily as a ceremonial piece.

Aurelian, however, revived the denomination as part of his monetary reform of AD 274, and it was -- like the new antoninianus (sometimes called the "Aurelianus") -- a silvered but heavily debased coin.

Denarii for Aurelian were struck in Rome, Mediolanum, Serdica, Siscia, and Cyzicus and come in a variety of reverse types, although the VICTORIA AVG is by far the most common of these.

In contrast, those for Severina were struck in Rome only and only with the VENVS FELIX reverse type. There are only five varieties of this type, distinguished only by the markings in the exergue.

Here are one of each, struck during the same issue by the same officina in the Rome mint (numbered sequentially in MER/RIC and in the La Venera and CNB catalogs). Let's see your denarii of Aurelian's reign! As always, you are welcome to contribute anything you feel is relevant.

Aurelian VICTORIA AVG denarius.jpg
    Aurelian, AD 270-275.
    Roman billon denarius, 1.66 g, 15.7 mm, 11 h.
    Rome mint, officina 5, issue 11, early – September AD 275.
    Obv: IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: VICTORIA AVG, Victory walking left, holding wreath and palm; at feet to left, a bound and seated captive; –/–//∈.
    Refs: RIC 73 var.; MER/RIC temp 1680; Cohen 255 var.; RCV 11643; CBN 283-84; La Venera 1508-9.

Severina VENVS FELIX  E denarius.jpg
    Severina, AD 270-275.
    Roman billon denarius, 2.52 g, 18.8 mm, 6 h.
    Rome mint, officina 5, issue 11, early – September AD 275.
    Obv: SEVERINA AVG, diademed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: VENVS FELIX, Venus standing left, holding unidentified object (perfume box, apple?)and long scepter; –/–//∈.
    Refs: RIC 6; MER/RIC 1861; Cohen 14; RCV 11710; CBN 285-86; La Venera 1510-11.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice male-ish portrait of Severina !

I only have an example of hers to show, and a large bronze featuring both.

[​IMG]
    Severina, AE Denarius - Rome mint, 5 th officina, AD 274-275.
    SEVERINA AVG, draped and diademed bust right.
    VENVS FELIX, Venus standing left, holding seated figure and sceptre. Є at exergue.
    2.46 gr, 19-20 mm
    RIC V 1 # 6, RCV # 11710, C # 14
    Ex Auctiones.ch

[​IMG]
    Aurelian and Severina, Double sestertius - Rome mint AD 274-275
    IMP AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust of Aurelian right
    SEVERINA AVG, diademed and draped bust of Severina right, on crescent
    11.18 gr
    Ref : Cohen # 1, RIC # 2, RCV # 11696

Q

4. Roman Collector

Nice coins, Q!

I know. It's unfortunate that the deeper patina tends to be black and when the lighter-colored surface patina is removed from the high points during cleaning, it always looks like she has a Van Dyke beard:

Severina Rome CONCORDIA AVG.jpg

Or even a full beard!

Severina Rome CONCORDIAE MILITVM.jpg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@Roman Collector - Cool that you captured the Denarii in such a later period in Roman History.

Personally, I consider approx 310 BCE when Rome minted their first Denarius... pushing the Denarius lifetime out almost another 100 years. Although, it is today popularly called a DiDrachm, it was tarriffed at 10 Asses, which would had been called, by a Roman - a Denarius. Harl calls this first Silver coins of Rome Heavy Denarius until the 211 BCE Denarius currency Reforms.

First Silver Denarius of Rome
    RR Anon AR Heavy Denarius - Didrachm 310-300 BCE 20mm 7.28g Mars-Horse Romano FIRST minted.JPG
    RR Anon AR Heavy Denarius - Didrachm 310-300 BCE 20mm 7.28g Mars-Horse Romano FIRST minted

But, then, I have the Mr and Mrs Aurelian "Twins" in the Antoninianus denomination! LOL, we have all talked about Empresses on Roman coins looking like the Emperor! :)

RI Aurelian 270-275 CE AE Ant Concordia-Milit.jpg
    RI Aurelian 270-275 CE AE Ant Concordia-Milit

upload_2018-7-25_15-45-1.png
    RI Severina Wife of Aurelian 274-275 CE BI22 Antoninianus 3-14g Rome mint Crescent Concordia RIC 317

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I am opposite of Q having a denarius only for him but none for her. The coin is greener than this old photo.
    rs2360bb1886.jpg

7. Roman Collector

That didrachm/heavy denarius is really nice, @Alegandron ! It's cool how we have half a millennium of denarii represented here in one thread!

Your example is much nicer than mine, @dougsmit . Same issue, same officina and everything, too.

Alegandron and Curtisimo like this.
  8. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

I did not know that. We have had several interesting and informative threads on Severina before, but I did not know this. Thank you.

I'm surprised that these coins of Severina, although not easy to find, are relatively inexpensive. (My visitor, but not my pictures):

ServinaAO.jpg

ServinaAr.jpg

ARSERVINAso.jpg

ARSERVINAsr.jpg

9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

10. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Here's my Severina, 6th officina:
    Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 10.43.57 PM.jpg
    You note in your description that the object Venus is holding is obscure. To me it looks like a sphere on top of a tripod, cone, or pyramid. Apparently there may be some connection to the sun (and of course Sol features prominently on Aurelian's coinage).

Let me try to extend that a bit more... Grierson argues (cogently) that the term "denarius" was used for the first Frankish (Merovingian) silver coinage from the late seventh and early 8th century, valued at 12 to the "solidus." This morphed into the later French term "denier," and English term "penny." Here's my example, from the early 8th century, Catullacum/St. Denis mint:
    Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 10.56.27 PM.jpg

11. Roman Collector

I'm going with the miniature poodle theory:

size-teacup.jpg

12. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Of course! I don't know how I missed this.

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 12.12.36 PM.jpg

13. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

This denarius has an unusual set of letters in the exergue- VSV. There are three theories about the meaning of VSV

1) Treat it like XXI (the radiate aurelianus X+X=1), meaning something like V+V = S(emis), so half of the larger radiate coin; but the mark is VSV not VVS

2) Aurelian's fifth anniversary- The abbreviation stands for V(ota) S(oluta) V and the mark was indeed used around Aurelian’s quinquennalia

3) The letters are abbreviated form of VSV(alis) meaning the coin was the usual type of money.

Though there are problems with all three theories; the third explanation is most commonly accepted.

There is another theory that VSV is a political slogan and stands for V(eniens) S(ol) V(icit) “Sol came and conquered."

For more see the article by David Woods “Aurelian and the Mark VSV: Some Neglected Possibilities” in Numismatic Chronicle 2013

Aurelian Rome 71.JPG

Aurelian
    A.D. 270- 275
    Ӕ denarius
    18x19mm 1.9gm
    IMP AVRELIANVS AVG; laureate, draped & cuirassed bust right.
    VICTORIA AVG; Victory walking left, holding wreath and palm; B in left field.
    In ex. VSV
    RIC Vi Rome 71

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  14. Roman Collector

@Severus Alexander -- HILARIOUS!! SEE? I told you it was a poodle!!

Thanks for the info regarding the various theories behind the VSV mark in the exergue. The VSV was also used on one of Severina's VENVS FELIX denarii, so any theory proposed needs to take this into account. Given this, the VSV as half a radiate makes sense, as does the VSV being an abbreviation for "usualis." The Vota Soluta 5 explanation as well as the victorious sun explanations don't fit as well with the presence of VSV on Severina's coins.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  15. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

you have to read the Woods article...I don't want to spoil the whole thing.

Roman Collector likes this.
  16. Roman Collector

Here is the link to download the Woods article.

Draft saved Draft deleted