Septimius Severus - Seven Stars and Crescent

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Daniel_R6, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Daniel_R6

Daniel_R6 Well-Known Member

I've seen this reverse type shared on CT several times before, and had been hoping to acquire one for myself. So, whilst this particular example has a soft strike and some small edge cracks, it fell within my budget range and I was pleased to add it to my collection:

Septimius Severus RIC IV 417 (S).jpg

Septimius Severus
    AR Denarius, 2.268g
    Emesa mint, 194-95 AD
    Obv: IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS II, Laureate head right
    Rev: SAECVL FELICIT, Seven stars above and within a crescent with horns up
    RIC IV 417 (S)

The reverse shows seven stars above and within a crescent with horns up. Versions of this motif appear on coinage during the reign of Hadrian in the 2nd Century AD and continue under various Emperors until and including the reign of Caracalla.

There is some conjecture as to the meaning of the reverse image. It could be a design that Hadrian saw during his travels, a link to astrology, or perhaps a representation of an actual celestial event. Of course, it could also be something else entirely. I won't write too much more myself, as there is an excellent article here: http://www.trajancoins.info/astro.html

If you have any thoughts on the meaning of this reverse type I'd be keen to hear them. Please share anything you feel is relevant: Stars, Septimius, and so on.

TJC, Theodosius, dlhill132 and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I like it; the reverse has a complete legend, is well-centered, and all the devices are there.

I have a similar coin, but it may have been issued for a completely different reason in that it is a consecration issue after Faustina II's death, whereas yours bears the legend SAECVL FELICIT, meaning "happy times." We had a thread about it, with various participants weighing in on the possible meaning of the image. I think you'll find it interesting.

Anyway, here's my coin:

Faustina Jr CONSECRATIO moon and stars denarius.jpg
    Faustina Jr, AD 161-175
    Roman AR denarius; 3.12 g, 16.5 mm, 11 h
    Rome, AD 176 or later
    Obv: DIVA FAVSTINA PIA, bare-headed and draped bust right
    Rev: CONSECRATIO, crescent moon around large star, surrounded by six stars
    Refs: RIC 750; BMCRE 718; Cohen 83; RCV 5219; MIR 63; CRE 172.

Theodosius, dlhill132, Ajax and 12 others like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

The reverse on these coins are interesting to say the least.
    Septimius Severus 18.jpg
    SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG COS I-I laureate head right
    REVERSE: SAECVL FELICIT dot,
    seven stars & crescent
    Struck at Emesa, 194-195 AD
    2.95g, 17.5mm
    RIC 417
    Septimius Severus 11.jpg
    SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS
    AE 18
    OBVERSE: AY K L C CEVHROC, laureate head right
    REVERSE: NIKOPOLITWN PROC ICTR, Crescent and three stars
    Struck at Nikopolis, 193-211 AD
    3.4g, 17mm
    Varbanov 2554
    Septimius Severus 10.jpg
    SEPTIMIUS SEVERUS
    AE 16
    OBVERSE: AV K Λ CEVHPO, laureate head right
    REVERSE: NIKOPOLITWN PROC ICTRO, crescent and one star
    Struck at Nikopolis, 193-211 AD
    3.1g, 16mm
    Varbanov 2472, Legend D

Theodosius, dlhill132, Ajax and 12 others like this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Slightly earlier than the SAECVLI FELICIT coins is the AETERNITAS AVS issue which copies a similar coin of Pescennius Niger. There exists a very nice example of this coin which I should have bought when I saw it but was too cheap to pay the price being asked then. There are not many of these. I see it had previously sold in 2001 but do not know who has it now.
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=78184
    rg0660bb1653.jpg

I do have the OP style:
    rg2420bb1332.jpg
    The type also comes for Julia Domna.
    rk5410bb0868.jpg

TJC, Theodosius, dlhill132 and 13 others like this.
  6. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

Lovey coin! Part of the charm of these early Eastern issues of Severus is their irregularity. I think the crescent-and-stars type and all the variations are some of the most interesting and intriguing Severan era coins. I have one example, which I acquired from HJB last year:
    sev_mk_2017_0831_01.jpg
    Septimius Severus. AR denarius, Emesa mint, struck 194 CE; 17mm, 3.26g, 7h. cf. BMCRE 390 note (their obv. COS II not II C and rev. SAECVLI FELICIT), cf. RIC 419, cf. RSC 628d. Obv: IMP CAE L • SEP SE - V PERT • AVG II C; head laureate right. Rx: SAECVLI FELICITAS; Crescent and seven stars. From Harlan J. Berk: “Apparently unpublished with this combination of the rare early obverse legend ending II C and the reverse legend SAECVLI FELICITAS fully written out, not abbreviated. A denarius in Budapest, described by BMC-390 note, also has the unabbreviated reverse legend, but combined with an anomalous obverse legend ending CO III. C. Clay has a plaster cast of that Budapest coin and considers it to be an ancient imitation, so of little relevance to our piece.” VF

TJC, dlhill132, Ajax and 9 others like this.
  7. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

I'm aware that there may be other threads relating to this question, but does anyone here know off-hand what the accepted speculation is about the meaning of this? I know that it is not a Severan invention, and that the motif of the seven stars and crescent was used on denarii at least as far back as Hadrian. Any thoughts you have to share are appreciated.

galba68 likes this.
  8. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

Here is a fake
    I bought on ebay. A CT member IDd it quickly since it is on Ilya's Forum fake lists. The RR version of the same motif?

coinfakesol1.jpg

TJC, dlhill132, randygeki and 4 others like this.
  9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i would say it's the stars of the seven sisters constellation.

benhur767 likes this.
  10. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

Interesting. What's the significance of the constellation for the emperors? Coins were used for propaganda? What message were they trying to convey to the people?

ominus1 likes this.
  11. ominus1

idk..food for thought tho.

Alegandron and benhur767 like this.
  12. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

Something to do with the Seven Hills of Rome? I know there's someone on this forum who knows all about this... :)

ominus1 likes this.
  13. ominus1

i wouldn't think it would be the hills represented as stars.

14. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

What do they represent?

15. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in that previous thread the moon as the goddess Diana was the wayshower to discarnate souls into the seven heavenly realms that surround the Earth and are tied to the seven visible celestial spheres. My take is that it represents an intrinsic part of the religious tradition and avenue of thought for these folks. my two prutah however. This idea is inclusive of the fact that the Pleiades hold the same idea of the seven starry heavens in the sky and that Rome herself and her seven hills were a microcosmic reflection of the sky world/as above so beloww. These themes are found throughout the ancient world and cutures. Here is the coin posthumous issue "The stars coinfaustinaboughtdiana.jpg receive" Sideritus Receptus with Diana and crescent. Faustina jr:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    TIF, zumbly, randygeki and 6 others like this.
  16. ominus1

..these would be hills on a coin ^ ^ ^ ...these are stars * * *... :p

benhur767 and Alegandron like this.
  17. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

Yes, but things can symbolize other things. Not everything is literal. For example, a goddess symbolizes the moon, a god symbolizes the sun. Comets symbolize omens. A constellation represents Castor and Pollux. So if the stars represent the Seven Sisters, they must hold some symbolic meaning to the Romans other than, "hey, those are some neat stars in the sky, let's stick them on some coins." So my question is, what is the symbolic significance of placing the Seven Sisters on coins?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Daniel_R6 and TIF like this.
  18. ominus1

i would guess fertility on those of women, but that's just my guess. there are coins showing various numbers of stars, some with a crescent, other without. Sept.Severus's family coinage, along with others have this trait but knowing how come is pure speculation. that would be a good thread to start, if there isn't one already, coins with stars and what you think it means :)

Daniel_R6 and Alegandron like this.
  19. Daniel_R6

Thanks to all for the comments, and for sharing some great coin variations of this type.

@Roman Collector that’s a good point. Your example of the Faustina II Consecratio type and @dougsmit's imitative of Pescennius Niger show that the meaning of the ‘crescent and star(s)’ reverse-type, or at least the intention in issuing it, could have changed from reign to reign, or within the reign of a single ruler. As you say, it is important to look at the reverse image in context of the reverse legend.

Thanks. Reading now.

Indeed. You have some great examples. I can only imagine what people thought when they looked up at a night sky with no electric lights, no pollution...

20. Daniel_R6

I agree with you there @benhur767! And that is a terrific example you have.

A fake, but interesting. Is it an imitation of an actual RR coin? Or a design made by a modern forger?

An interesting theory/insight @Mike Margolis.

Agreed @ominus1. There must be quite a variety of types and almost as many meanings behind them.

benhur767, Mike Margolis and ominus1 like this.
  21. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

I have a few of this type for Sept. Sev.

I am extremely jealous of the AVG II C example above as I don't have one in my AVG II C collection (yes. I am sad enough to have a sub-collection of these odd legend variants)

I have a COS I example, some COS II but also a more unusual IMP II example.

Septimius Severus denarius

Obv:- L SEPT SEV PE-RE AVG IMP II, laureate head right
    Rev:- SAECVL FELIC, Crescent and seven stars..
    Minted in Laodicea-ad-Mare. A.D. 194
    Reference:- BMCRE -. RIC IV -. RSC -.

The PERE is the first time that I have seen this variety of the obverse legend, which is normally seen as PERT, PERTE or PERET.
    This reverse type not previously noted from this mint in any of the published references.

[​IMG]

benhur767, TJC, Daniel_R6 and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted