Meaning of crescent and seven stars (or six stars and the sun)?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Diva Faustina Junior consecration issue. It has a crescent (probably to represent the moon) and a large star within the crescent (possibly to represent the sun), all surrounded by six stars.

Does anyone know what this symbolism represents? There were only 5 planets known in classical antiquity: Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn, so they couldn't be represented by the six stars surrounding the moon and the sun. Perhaps the Pleiades?

I know there are coins of the Severan dynasty with similar reverses bearing a crescent with one, five, or seven stars.

Post anything you feel is relevant!

Faustina Jr CONSECRATIO moon and stars denarius.jpg
    Faustina Jr, AD 161-175
    Roman AR denarius; 3.14 g, 17 mm
    Rome, AD 176 or later
    Obv: DIVA FAVSTINA PIA, bare-headed and draped bust right
    Rev: CONSECRATIO, crescent moon around large star, surrounded by six stars
    Refs: RIC 750; BMCRE 718; Cohen 83; RCV 5219; MIR 63; CRE 172.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

Nice Faustina Minor.. wasn't there a story of the 6 sisters that were supposed to be stars in the sky...?!?...i seemed to remember something on them, but it's sketchy..idk...

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

5. Roman Collector

Those are the Pleiades, also known as the seven sisters, though only 6 stars are easily visible to the naked eye.

6. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Very nice OP!!!

Off the top of my head, I seem to recall a reference to the moon being associated with the Goddess Venus....and the stars associated with the Pleiades as suggested above.

Here's a budget example of Diadumenian:
    diadumenian.JPG

galba68, gogili1977, Jwt708 and 11 others like this.
  7. ancientone

ancientone Well-Known Member

galba68, gogili1977, Jwt708 and 11 others like this.
  8. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

This article also mentions that the star/crescent may have also signified a total solar eclipse when the crescent shape appears and also planets appear around the disc in the darkened sky.http://tjbuggey.ancients.info/astro.html

Mikey Zee likes this.
  9. Mike Margolis

10. Mike Margolis

For the ancients the soul realm/being dimension(ether for Plato) was divided into seven firmaments that were hooked up to the five visible [​IMG] planets and the orb of the sun and moon. These firmaments or heavens surrounded the terrestrial sphere like layers of an onion. Of course for most of these folks the Earth was an embodiment of deity herself(as we see on lots of great coins). They were more concerned with the apparent motion of the celestial orbs than the spatial relationships. It was a way of understanding a 5-D worldview where being or soul is as important as space/time and as original as the physical cosmos.

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

12. Mike Margolis

If you have five large this amazing star/crescent coin is available on vcoins. coinmithrastarcres.jpg

13. Mike Margolis

This one fit into my budget and it was minted close to 44 bce I believe coinboughtcappadocicrescentstar.jpg to acknowledge the deification of the Caesar line with the comet of 44.

galba68, ancientone, Publius and 6 others like this.
  14. Mike Margolis

The moon(diana) being the nearest firmament to Earth she is the wayshower/lighter-torchbearer for the discarnate coinfaustinaboughtdiana.jpg souls as seen on this Faustina Jr. "the stars receive"" Sideritus Receptus(sp?)

15. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Active Member

Thanks. I just bought it!...
    ...and then I woke up. Sigh...

16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I vote for the Pleiades...plus the crescent moon. I asked the forum members on an astronomy forum I am a member of what they thought and most of the folks think it's the Pleiades...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Roman Collector and ominus1 like this.
  17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Especially in these days of light pollution. I stayed out all night one night under a dark sky for a meteor shower in the late 1970s; my youthful eyes, fully dark-adapted, let me see eleven of the Pleiades.

There are cross-cultural stories of a "lost" Pleiad, and astrophysics says it's plausible -- the seventh-brightest star in the cluster is surrounded by gas shells, indicating that it may have been brighter in early historic times.

18. Roman Collector

ancientone likes this.
  19. Roman Collector

Reviving this zombie thread to post an update -- an as of Faustina I with a similar reverse type. This coin comes in both bare-headed and veiled bust types, as is typical for the coins of Faustina I issued during the period immediately after her death.

Faustina Sr S C crescent and stars as.jpg
    Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman Æ as, 12.20 g.
    Rome, AD 140.
    Obv: DIVA AVGVSTA FAVSTINA •, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: S C beneath crescent and seven stars.
    Refs: RIC 1199a; BMCRE 1476-77; Cohen 275; Strack 1249; RCV 4658; Dinsdale 018920.

20. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Very nice as Roman Collector. I also recently buy this Fastina II AE as with same reverse, but not so nice as your:
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-zkfvDRvWcgXcI.jpg
    With crescent also I have this Hadrian denarius:
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-WiqxpdLMlsYvXYl.jpg and this Geta from Thrace, Pautalia, small bronze coin:
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-xFfXo0ds9V8M5k.jpg

21. Roman Collector

Interesting coins, all of them. I like the Geta provincial.

thejewk likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted