Sent for conservation to NCS and gets "Improperly Cleaned" by NGC?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Taxidermist, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

A heavily toned coin was sent to NCS for professional cleaning. It then goes to NGC for grading and receives UNC DETAILS/IMPROPERLY CLEANED.

Is this scenario possible and has known precedents? I saw some slabbed coin description on eBay, and I just don't know enough about NCS, which made me curious about the possibility of "details" grade after NCS preservation.

Could it be that NGC means the cleaning occurred before the coin got toned? The coin inside the slab is blast white, no toning.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Coin was cleaned, then retoned, then NCS removed the toning leaving just the clean coin. Most likely that is the scenario. Now you just have to unclean the coin, and get it graded.

swamp yankee likes this.
  4. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

And what if it was NCS who messed up the cleaning? Would NGC grader receive the coin from NCS with some kind of ticket that says "treated by NCS"? Or the grader never knows the coin went through NCS?

swamp yankee likes this.
  5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I don't think that the graders know that it went through NCS, and yes many coins have gone through NCS and received a details grade later. I was furious when I sent in an PCGS PR-65 1877 IHC with one tiny carbon spot to NCS and got a details grade back. The coin was still in the mint tissue from my grandfathers collection before I sent it to PCGS originally.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Wow!!!!! That would p--s me off . Did they ever make it right ?

swamp yankee likes this.
  7. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Pics please!

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Dark toning is risky to mess with. You never know what's under it. It can hide a lot of stuff.

swamp yankee likes this.
  9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Not really, they agreed to take another look at it, but it came back PR details again. I cracked it out about a year later and got back a PR-64 so I left well enough alone.

Sorry, long gone. The spot was pretty well removed though the underlying surface showed that it was there. Still looked much better than it did.

I would add that I have sent probably over fifty coins through NCS (both proofs and business strikes) and have been relatively successful in upgrading the coins. Sometimes they come back the same grade and sometimes they gain a point. My 1885 3CN actually gained three points. It went from a PCGS MS-61 to an NGC MS-64.

I still like the service, but would suggest that you are careful about what you send. If there may be surface damage under what you are trying to remove, or cleaning may bring out an old cleaning, keep it as it is. Not all conservers and evaluators are created equal.

swamp yankee, rzage and green18 like this.
  10. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Aw, shucks. Probably for the best.

11. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

NCS doesn't scrub a coin to remove toning, therefore it is a near certainty that the heavy toning was hiding the previous cleaning. It is a dangerous game to remove heavy toning as one isn't ever completely certain what is under it. This time, it revealed something hiding.

brg5658, cpm9ball and Morgandude11 like this.
  12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I don't know if this would answer any of your questions but I have a friend who knows a person over at NGC and he was told that one process used to see if a coin was Improperly Cleaned is using a special lamp and light to see if any type and which type of chemical was used during cleaning. Sounds like forensic science to me. My very first error coin I ever found (A Cent with Lamination) that I sent to NGC came back Improperly Cleaned.

13. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

That is why I don't send coins for conservation--it is a huge risk if it is a slabbed coin. If it is a raw coin, assume that it is a details coin. So, unless you're in love with a specific coin, conservation is very risky.

swamp yankee likes this.
  14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I think part, a large part, of the reason that people don't understand how something like this could happen is because they don't realize what NCS, or any other "conservation service", actually does. To put into simple terms, all they do is to either rinse the coin in a harmless chemical, (like acetone as an example), or dip the coin. That's it, plain and simple. They don't do anything else. And if done correctly, and yes they know how to do it correctly, then no harm can be done to the coin.

That said, any harm that was done to the coin before they ever even laid eyes on it, may be revealed by what they do.

Any time anyone rinses a coin, dips a coin, or otherwise properly cleans a coin - it is a crap shoot, every single time. That is because you never know what lies underneath what you are trying to remove. It may turn out well, or it may turn out very bad.

swamp yankee likes this.
  15. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Absolutely--why risk turning an acceptable looking coin into a disaster area? Toning can hide a multitude of sins underneath, and unless the coin was really ugly, why take the risk? The first question I'd ask would be, why have a coin that one did not like the eye appeal in the first place?

swamp yankee likes this.
  16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

My friend sent in a black capped bust half to NCS and it came back AU details whizzed.

swamp yankee likes this.
  17. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

So what are your thoughts here?

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ng...possible-candidate.260813/page-2#post-2106217

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

My thoughts are similar to some of those expressed in that thread, that being that it's not really a question that can be answered based on pictures. There could be any number of reasons why that '67 Kennedy was graded 65, and the stain may or may not be one of them. So would I send it in ? No, I'd leave it alone. And if you want a higher grade one, then sell that one, save your money up, and buy one that you like.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  19. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Fair enough..thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted