Send to PCGS or NGC?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BlackberryPie, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Sell !

wxcoin and Two Dogs like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

+1

Unless that coin comes back MS67* and is registry quality, I don't see it selling for $300 even in a slab.

There are a lot of people in this thread who think the coin is AT. While the color scheme is unusual for a Lincoln, I see other elements of the toning that indicate that it is natural. I would be interested to hear what exactly about this coin makes people think the coin is AT.

wxcoin likes this.
  4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I don’t care for purple spot on Lincoln’s neck and the color mix of green and purple on the reverse. The colors are rarely seen on original copper coins in those patterns.

5. Lehigh96

I agree, those are the two problem areas that I see related to color scheme, but the yellow-green color is common enough and the elevation chromatics are good on most areas of the coin except for on LIBERTY. Still, this is one of those coins that I would like to see in hand before I condemn it as AT.

6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

PCGS is much more prone to calling things AT. Send to NGC

7. Lehigh96

I've found the opposite to be true.

furham likes this.
  8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Maybe I am recalling a couple months when PCGS went hyper-paranoid on anything monster-toned. Your observations are probably more accurate

9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Your first offer is usually your best. No risk. Sell it.

wxcoin and CircCam like this.
  10. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

I was just offered $700 by someone else...

:nailbiting:

wxcoin likes this.
  11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Pcgs. But with those offers take the money and run and let tgemworry about getting it in a slab

CircCam likes this.
  12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I’d make an offer but it’d be half of the first cause I could see it getting detailed for qc easily. It’s a gamble

13. BlackberryPie

BlackberryPie I like pie

Here it is in indirect light.
    IMG_20201205_214421646.jpg IMG_20201205_214405086.jpg

Penny Luster likes this.
  14. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

in a heart beat

wxcoin likes this.
  15. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The sound pictures seal the deal. Take the $300 and run.

Mainebill and dwhiz like this.
  16. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

If someone offered you $700...take it and run.

Mainebill likes this.
  17. Scuba4fun777

Scuba4fun777 Well-Known Member

If you really want to shoot for the moon, call the $300 guy & tell him/her someone just offered you $700.

John Burgess and CamaroDMD like this.
  18. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The only reason you received such a high offer is toned coins are all the rage. The value is in the toning, not the scarcity of the date or condition. If you like toned coins and think they will continue to increase in value, keep it. Or you could play the game, get it slabbed and try to squeeze as much out if it as possible and hope you hit the top of the market. Or, you could take the cash and buy something that matches your collecting interest. A key date like a 1909SVDB, or 16D Dime or better date Morgan (you get the idea).

IMO (and I emphasize opinion) there are some people out there who understand chemistry and a can accelerate natural toning. When there's a lot of money being thrown at coins with ridiculous toning, somebody is going to figure it out. Seeing artificially toned coins showing up tells you that people are trying. Will somebody get greedy and flood the market? Will accelerated toning remain stable or will the surfaces continue to react? I can't predict what will happen and have been wrong before, but personally, I don't want to be the last one holding a monster toner, if something happens to disrupt the market

Edit to add: somebody once said there is nothing wrong with making an honest profit. Choice is yours, but I think you know what I would do

johnyb and Dynoking like this.
  19. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

This my experience with PCGS and NT vs. AT.
    nt-or-at-or-qt.354301

20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Don't get greedy.

21. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

What did you end up doing?

Draft saved Draft deleted