Selling to online dealers, question

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Sep 1, 2019.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

This is a question for those of you who have sold unlisted items to online dealers. These dealers list the buyback price for most common gold and silver. They also often have a page on their site of buyback prices for other items.

However, there are all sorts of bullion out there that these sites do not list a "sell to us price" or a "buy back price."

What has your experience been selling slightly less common gold and silver to online dealers?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Apmex: for collectable bullion pieces, I talked to a rep about this very thing. The buy back prices listed are for the coins they are low on, or selling well and don't want to run out of.
    The ones w/o price buyback varies depending on demand, and quantity on hand. But If you are talking pure bullion, such as ASE, or Maples I don't know for sure.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  4. Johndoe2000$

I tried to sell a 100oz. silver bar to a couple coin shops, and they didn't want to take the risk of it possibly being filled in the middle with some other metals. I finally found one to take it though. It was a well known brand that I got from one of the big bullion dealers. Sorry I don't remember the brand, but just be aware that some bars may not be easy to sell at all. The bullion dealers have ways to check them, but not all bars are trusted. Especially now.

5. myownprivy

As an aside, that is a good personal example of why buying anything bigger than a 10oz silver bar is dumb. They are very difficult to resell.

Heavymetal likes this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I think the word you're looking for is "ill-advised".

7. Johndoe2000$

I was actually hoping that you wouldn't feel the need to insult people in this thread. The deal with large bars, (100oz.,kilo, etc...) is they sell for better prices compared to smaller bars. The lesson I learned is if you want to buy large bars, find a buyer that will accept them back first. Probably the best place to sell is where you purchased it. JMO
    Privy, you may get more participation in your threads if you would stop being a pompous jack....

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  8. myownprivy

Well, when you're a guy like me with stacks and stacks of gold kilo bars and 100 oz silver bars, you tend to become a little arrogant. It's very hard to contain your ego with as many large bars as I have.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  9. ...5 hours later

Brilliant!

gold standard db and -jeffB like this.
  10. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

on an episode of pawn stars they used a drill press....

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I've never had a problem but then, I use reputable dealers.

12. Johndoe2000$

I wouldn't allow that. It was a name brand bar, and purchased from a big bullion dealer. I can't remember which one. Apmex, JM, MCM, Scottsdale etc...
    I was buying when they have Their bullion sales, usually from eBay. The sales on eBay are/were better than buying through their sites. The coin shop's owner was paranoid about authenticity, and didn't have the gun/equip. to test it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  13. Johndoe2000$

You don't buy from that guy's trunk in the alley ??? o_O
    The only smart way to buy is from reputable dealers.

14. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

they bought it though, so it didn't matter

15. myownprivy

Just remember, in the long run we suffer even more from idiot dealers if they allow counterfeits to enter the market place. It means they were fooled, stopped caring, or never deserved their reputation in the first place. Now we as the next buyers at risk if a knockoff is sitting in a legitimate shop.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  16. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

the drill press is just a reminder that this is just metal and not a "my precious". It's going to be melted

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I buy from reputable dealers and I sell to reputable dealers. It's the only way to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted