Selling Back 40% Halves: What Percent of Melt is Typical?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by SilverMike, Sep 28, 2016.

1. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I was in a local bullion shop today and asked them how they would go about buying some 40% halves (I've never sold coins for bullion value before, so I'm still trying to figure out the formulas and how this all works).
    They said that they pay 70% of melt, which today when spot was around $19 would have been about $2 a coin.
    Is this a typical percentage to expect buyback? Is 90% junk silver the same?

I guess intuitively I was expecting an offer closer to melt since I thought margins were really tight on bullion.

Appreciate any insight or what your own experiences have been.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

That is probably reasonable as they will pay refiner fees if they can't resell as coin silver, and depending on the quantity they send in. A person that I sometimes authenticate for on the coin side said that 70% is breakeven, which he doesn't like, so he offers under 70% always, and won't take 40% except for counter bins. I am sure shipping, insurance, etc. will vary also in their calculations.

SilverMike likes this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

SilverMike likes this.
  5. ddddd

ddddd Member

Also, you should expect closet to melt for 90%...that is more popular among stackers and refiners compared to 40% or 35% and thus it sells much quicker and more often.

SilverMike and Paul M. like this.
  6. Firenze

Firenze Member

I had a discussion with a coin dealer in Brunswick last summer about his problems when buying silver from collectors.

He showed me a huge bucket that he has to fill before he can give that stuff to a company that melts it. Otherweise, shipping costs and fees would be too high. Now the problem he told me about is that filling up this bucket normally takes a couple of months and that within very short time the silver price can of course go up and down.

So I guess that everyone selling silver to dealers should keep in mind that coin shops often take quite a risk when they offer a price too close to the melt value.

SilverMike likes this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

That is true, but junk silver is one of the items that sell very well at coin stores. Many people stack junk silver, so there often is plenty of demand for it. If a coin store offers a better deal on it compared to online companies, they should have no problem selling to customers. While they may not make much money off the junk silver, it could be a good strategy to appeal to customers who will potentially come back and buy some other items where the dealer can make money. For example, someone can be inspired by the designs, let's say Walking Liberty Halfs, and then decide to start buying graded pieces from the dealer. Suddenly there is a new relationship built and a new coin collector is added to the hobby.

SilverMike likes this.
  8. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Here is the top price I can find.

Spot -.80 X .295

SilverMike likes this.
  9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I would agree with others. The buyback price of 40% and silver war nickels has always been much further from melt than 90%. It just costs too much extra from the refiner to get closer. 40% is not a good vehicle to invest in if planning to sell when silver goes up.

SilverMike likes this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yep, always buy 40% or 35% at a discount to melt, because you'll have to take a discount from melt when you sell it.

That said, the big dealers do buy back at closer to melt (like Provident, mentioned above), and I know there's one guy at our local shows who buys at a smaller discount than most stores (even at the same show). He gets most of my sell-back business. I could get more by going to Provident, but I rarely want to sell that much ($1000 minimum actual value) at a time.

SilverMike likes this.
  11. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

Thanks so much, everyone. Your answers have helped me understand this much better.

12. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

Dealers will pay more for them because right now, they are worth more as a coin than they are as scrap silver. Refining 35% and 40% is a bit more of a pain with other materials inside, but if you are only buying and selling then as coins, then the extra effort of refining doesn't matter. A dealers need only worry about where to store them and not how to pull the silver out.

13. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

I think they pay less because its harder to sell them and when they do sell they wont get as close to spot for 40% as they do for 90%. Really I never wanted a 40% half unless I found it in circulation as could thus get it for 50 cents.

I doubt that there is really much refining/melting down of these coins. There is plenty of silver. No pressing need to melt these down.

14. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Ok, I sold 3 tubes of 40% Kennedy's at 5.5xFace when spot was $19.15. Not a math guy, what percent of melt was that?

15. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

If my calculations are correct I got paid 97% melt when spot was $19.15. Does that sound correct?

16. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

5.5xface is good at that spot price. I think your math is close enough if not correct.

Bman33 likes this.
  17. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think I got the formula down.

Draft saved Draft deleted