Selling ASE's

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Dougmeister, May 27, 2015.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

I know it is not the best time to sell, but short of calling them or asking in person, how does one find out what the going price is when selling ASE's to dealers, etc.?

Are there websites that will give a ballpark number?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There are too many expense variables that need to be considered. An online dealer doesn't have the same expenses as a dealer in a B&M. Some dealers have to factor in debt reduction. About the only thing you can do is determine market values for such coins, and try to make the best deal you can.

Chris

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

For better or for worse, I usually check here:

http://www.providentmetals.com/sell-to-us.html

At local shows where there are several dealers buying, the best offers are usually lower than Provident's, but not necessarily by too much. And I only found out about Provident once PMs started tanking, so I don't know how local offers would compare to Provident's in a rising market.

5. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

If you look at Provident's or Apmex's websites, you will see they publish a buy price.

On the right under the add to cart tab

http://www.apmex.com/product/23331/1-oz-silver-american-eagle-bu-random-year

6. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Yes, that's a good starting point. I would skip MCM, as they have been sold to some marketing company. And there's nothing wrong with calling a coin shop and asking them what they pay. The big guys have toll-free numbers readily available in Google.

7. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

If your looking for the best return on your money, then selling to a private party is your best bet. Most dealers will pay around spot and sell at spot + $3.00 - $3.50. So, selling to a private party you could probably easily sell them at spot + $2.00 - $2.50 per coin. There are plenty of forums similar to this one that have a classified section. I personally would not do the craigslist route.

8. hcmusicguy

hcmusicguy Member

A couple of the larger dealers around here have their PM pricing sheet available on their websites, constantly updated with current spot prices.

9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

10. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

A little off subject, but what about the 10, 20, 50 dollar pieces Canada has been putting out? A $50 Beaver would be $42 +/- USD for 1 oz of silver.

11. doug5353

I think it's safe to say that anything good for the Mint(s) is bad for the numismatist. The same issue comes up in stamp collecting. The folks who rush out today and buy a sheet of every new stamp are, in effect, buying the discount postage of 2018, when it will bring 70% of face, you know where.

12. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

And I forgot to add you pay some $60 an oz. for a $50 coin..
    But what would a dealer pay?

13. doug5353

If and when the price of silver takes off, that premium will get smaller and smaller. At some elevated price, that coin is just more bullion.

That's the bet everyone's making, that the Canada will retain its premium over, for instance, ASEs, currently available from Apmex for something around $20 when eBay has a special event.

Galen59 likes this.
  14. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

Doug I understand that, I'm asking If it's $50 CAN, will an American pay that?

15. doug5353

Don't know. ;)

Galen59 likes this.
  16. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

I.E. Canada issues a $50 CAN coin, $42 USD, it's 1 oz of silver, SOLD as bullion weight, What do you pay?

17. doug5353

Same price as an ASE; face value is not a factor (to me). You start looking at exchange rates, and you fall right back into the fiat-money trap. Canada Mint can set any rate it wants, but the public decides the premium.

Galen59 likes this.
  18. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

Agreed, but your still going to pay in fiat currency
    1 oz say 16.80 USD
    Canada sells a coin, 1 oz at say $60 but the coin says $50 on it NCLT
    your not answering my question, that coin is $42 that is why most put $5 on oz.
    Canada just changed the game.

19. doug5353

When Canada "changes the game," I find a new game. If I collected "animals on coins," I might buy one. But I don't.

20. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

21. bearze34

bearze34 Active Member

I prefer a $20 Beaver and a $5 pack of smokes. I'll throw in a ride down the street and a few copper rounds to seal the deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted