Secret Saturnalia 2018

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by John Anthony, Nov 3, 2018.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Okey Dokey, I assigned everyone. If you sent me a PM and didn't get a response, please send me another - I've had a lot of messages to deal with. This has been a banner year so far, with a total of 42 participants. (It's like ancient coins are getting popular or something.)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

A great tradition! Thanks again to @John Anthony for organizing this gift exchange. I'm planning to ship my Secret Santa gift package on Monday. I'm old school—I don't generally send packages or do any Christmas decorating until after Thanksgiving.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Bing, Ryro and Cucumbor like this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Christmas is not special to me if it's celebrated with decorations half the year. We have traditionally waited till the 10th of December before we start decorating and then it's gone the day after New Years Day. When we lived in Germany, most of our German friends never decorated their Christmas trees till the day before Christmas and St Nick came while the family went to Mass on Christmas Eve.

5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

this is a good thing, but i'm of the school of thought that if i give someone a gift, i don't expect to get one back..that's why i don't participate peeps, but some of you will be getting a gift from yours truly this year :)

Alegandron likes this.
  6. ominus1

that's where (Germany area) the tree thingy started way back in the days of the tribes ya know..:)

7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

I have the pleasure of gifting someone, and respect someone else's pleasure of gifting others, including me. Reason why I participate

:) Q

Justin Lee, Bing and ominus1 like this.
  8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

This is the Home Depot on St. Thomas. I took the picture on September 20th! :yack:

HomeDepotSTT-20Sept2018-sm.jpg

I don't like traditional Christmas decorations in a tropical environment anyway, but especially not three months before Christmas!

9. ominus1

well, i never take my inside lights down...they make me feel happy whenever i'm blue...grinch!:p

Justin Lee likes this.
  10. ominus1

and that's all good Q :)

Cucumbor likes this.
  11. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Yes, my parents did the same. All the decorations came down on the 1st and 2nd of January. My church insists however that the decorations in the church building stay up through Epiphany on January 6th so I've picked up that tradition also.

Curtisimo, Theodosius and ominus1 like this.
  12. Bing

I can understand this date. Again, in Germany three youths are selected to go out in the parishes on "Three Kings Day" (Jan 6) to sing and ask for alms for the poor. Some traditions like this are what makes the holidays special to me.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Theodosius, Deacon Ray and ominus1 like this.
  13. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

This will be my first time participating in Secret Saturnalia, so I'm pretty excited to see how it goes! I hope to get my surprise package out Monday or early next week.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  14. Bing

My Secret Saturnalia left the USPS this morning. I always worry that my SS may not arrive on time.

15. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

Still waiting on one last portion of my gift for my recipient, then I can finally send the whole thing off. I received mine yesterday. Now I just have to resist opening it before the 17th!

source (1).gif

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    Ryro and Cucumbor like this.
  16. tenbobbit

tenbobbit Well-Known Member

Mine is on its way, apologies for the delay in sending it ( I lost my father on the 12th & the past 2 weeks have been a little hectic )
    On a better note, thank you to James from Denver for my gift ( it arrived today )
    I have no idea which member James is so the Secret part is well & truly intact.
    Bring on the 17th :woot:

17. Bing

Sorry to hear about your father and you have my condolences. I still remember the day I got the call that my father had unexpectedly passed and that was nearly 35 years ago. I think about him often and I know I was not a very good son. I wish I could go back and change some things.

tenbobbit likes this.
  18. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I to am running behind.
    I just got mine ordered and once I get it, it still has a long way to travel. It'll be close for sure.
    Normally I have already sent and recieved but I had hoped to find something at a recent coin show which was fruitless. At this show was a very nice Athena/owl with a price tag of only $1600, so I passed on it.

Roman Collector and Justin Lee like this.
  19. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I’ve finally gotten together the items, now I just need to pack and ship. My 3 closest post offices are having issues with their kiosks. I try to avoid going during the day; it’s so much easier after hours.

Roman Collector and Justin Lee like this.
  20. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. My condolences for the loss of your father. That's very hard on you, I'm sure.

tenbobbit likes this.
  21. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I had this all planned out, but there was a change of plans when I found out who my designee is.

I'm back to the drawing board on my Secret Saturnalia plans.

Deacon Ray likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted