Scratched ase

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Lylelovett666, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Lylelovett666

Lylelovett666 Member

So I just got an order from provident that contained four 2015 ase. One has several scratches on it & another has what appears to be a milk spot. Is it worth it to contact them or should I just suck it up?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

I would imagine if you bought them on their sale they were or could be buy backs. I would read the fine print. I do the same I buy from them but strictly for bullion. They have pretty good CC you could see what they say. I have been pretty happy with all my stuff!

4. Lylelovett666

Lylelovett666 Member

Says brilliant,uncirculated.

5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

milk spots are allowed for BU. How big are the scratches?

6. Lylelovett666

Lylelovett666 Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  7. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

This is exactly why I wasn't crazy about Provident. I will skip them in the future. I suppose you could return, but it sounds like a giant hassle.

8. Lylelovett666

Lylelovett666 Member

I've been buying regularly from them for 18 months & have never had an issue with their service or products. I sent them an email,
    First off,I d like to say that in the 18 months I've been purchasing from you I've been very happy with all of the items I have received. Today however,I did receive an order that had two 2015 bu ase(#********) with blemishes on them. One of them has a white spot on the face & the other has two small scratches on the face. Since you are currently out of this particular ase year, I see no reason for a return,but hope that in the future I can count on you to give the same level of high quality products that you've always delivered. Thank you for your time.

Garlicus, mikenoodle and slackaction1 like this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ya buy bullion, ya get bullion......scratches and all. If you buy collectible pieces, such rot ain't allowed. Since this is posted in the bullion section, collectability is moot. I know you guys like things nice and shinny but that ain't always the case when you invest, stack, dribble, drool.

Blissskr and gregarious like this.
  10. Lylelovett666

Lylelovett666 Member

Perhaps this is the case & ive just been really lucky to have had all my purchases show up in pristine condition. I do feel that there's a certain level of expectation when something is represented as bu.

11. green18

BU is extremely wavering and way low end on the grading scale for 'uncirculated'.

12. green18

Premium quality BU. selling from a coin dealer in Richmond Virginia, is nothing more than AU sliders........

13. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

Let us know what they say. I'm curious about how they will handle it.

14. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

So how much ASW did the scratches cost you??

15. Lylelovett666

Lylelovett666 Member

The cost would be determined by how I sell them. My lcs would pay me a little over a dollar over spot. If I was to sell them on a forum I could get two to three over spot. Now I'm assuming I'd get spot for them.

16. SilverTracker

SilverTracker Well-Known Member

Hey Lyle, I know the scratches and the milk spot is unsightly but I would keep the "not so perfect bullion" aside and sell it when silver goes up. Like said, bullion is bullion and when silver goes up i cannot see why you wouldn't make a small profit on them.

I too am curious how they are going to answer your e-mail. I have bought items from Provident many times in the past few years and never had an issue at all.

mikenoodle likes this.
  17. Lylelovett666

Lylelovett666 Member

They don't have that year anymore so I figured I'd keep them. Provident has never sent me anything but perfect items over the last 18 months & the consensus is I'm being a bit picky,so I can live with it.

18. Lylelovett666

Lylelovett666 Member

So it finally got a response. They sent a survey asking if I was happy with their customer service.

19. mostly_broncos

mostly_broncos Junior Member

give up on the ASE's unless you buy and sell by the roll, if you want bu 1 oz bullion a few at a time go with kooks or koalas , maples tend to be in better shape than ASE's but they spot so its kind of a wash

20. Lylelovett666

Lylelovett666 Member

Just started buying kooks. Love them.

21. mostly_broncos

mostly_broncos Junior Member

Perth mint == QUALITY gotta love the product they put out , and if you are paying a few bucks over spot its coming in a capsule at least

Go back a few years to say 2010 and see what a 2010 ASE sells for versus a koala or kook or even better a Panda of that year.

Draft saved Draft deleted