Scrapping for Silver

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Goodwin83, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

It depends on the gauge. 16 gauge cords are pretty measly, 10 gauge are rather stout.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AlanT

AlanT New Member

This is great, it's like you've got the Midas touch...only with silver, lol. Good luck and keep on scrappin'.

4. BLACKTALON

BLACKTALON Member

5. Goodwin83

Goodwin83 Active Member

Many apologies...have been a "little" busy and haven't had time to focus on this but hopefully I'll be getting some stuff in and some silver posted here for you guys....anything new with you guys??

6. Westtexasbound

Westtexasbound Active Member

Good for everyone that is making a go at the scrapping project. Something is always more satisfying when you work for it. In a way this is kind of like you are actually mining the metal....its your labor rather than just your paycheck.

This got me thinking. Its too bad that the scrap yards don't buy some silver rounds or bars to offer for people that want metal. They could buy in a large enough bulk to get a low premium. Think of the satisfaction if you could get your silver AT the scrap drop.

7. Goodwin83

Goodwin83 Active Member

I like this idea a LOT! Pretty much like a full on metals exchange...and have an exchange rate...that would be nice.

8. Blaubart

I just sold my first lot of ewaste to boardsort.com. $570 minus PayPal fees and $46 in shipping expenses. Not too bad for something we used to pay to have properly disposed.

I'll wait for the price of silver to settle back down from this recent spike before I buy anything.

9. Goodwin83

Goodwin83 Active Member

Very nice!! I don't have quite that much to warrant sending them anything yet...still pressing my work for the computer scrap mine that are sitting on in their parts room.

10. BLACKTALON

BLACKTALON Member

where do you find your ewaste and what are they parts worth saving in a computer/other electronics

11. Goodwin83

Goodwin83 Active Member

Well I finally got another purchase. After about a month of not getting anything I decided to see if I could get my hands on a couple silver Ikes. Also followed that up with some 40% halves....
    IKE71.jpg
    IKE72.jpg 40PER.jpg

bluemastiff and Pi man like this.
  12. definer

definer definitely....! LOL

I'd be willing to bet the 61 Tons of silver they found off the Florida coast will cause the price to drop a little...!

13. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

It's good to hear back from ya Goodwin. You too have me hooked to scrapping, and now my basement is flooded with an assortment of metals/ewaste that I need to get up and sell. Thanks a lot. :mad: :D

Goodwin83 likes this.
  14. Blaubart

I sent in RAM, hard drive logic boards, CPUs, and a bunch of PCI/AGP cards. If you go to their web site, boardsort.com, they have their current rates listed. RAM was $12.75 per pound, logic boards $8.75, P4 processors with fingers $7, no fingers $5, gold fingered PCI/AGP cards $3.60.

They also buy motherboards and lots of other stuff, but it's hardly worth the shipping costs to send it in. If you had a truckload, or they are local to you, then maybe...

ETA: I get a lot of my ewaste from places where I do volunteer work. I set up new or donated computers for them and I haul off their old computers. I remove the RAM, HDD logic boards, PCI/AGP cards, and processors and then I take the case, power supply, motherboard, etc to my local recycler who pays $0.10/lb for them.

15. bluemastiff

bluemastiff Member

silver dollars.jpg Hey all good to see this is going strong. I havn't been buying silver with my scrap money I have been saving up for a trip. But today a deal came up I could not pass up. Picked up 8 Peace dollars (6 are 1922 and 2 are 1923) and 2 Morgans ( one is a 1896 and a 1921) and two 1964 Kennedy Halves. Picked these up for 14 bucks per dollar.

Goodwin83 and Pi man like this.
  16. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

That's a great price! Morgans/Peace Dollars are still going strong at $25 per on eBay.

17. Westtexasbound

Westtexasbound Active Member

I have a few of the one time use helium tanks you get at the party supply store. The size of a propane tank. How much will one of those get to recycle?

18. bluemastiff

bluemastiff Member

Well that is hard telling around here if they are steel it goes for around 10 cents a pound if they are aluminum about 50 cent a pound. Your best bet would be to call around and ask different places. Some might not even take them.

19. Goodwin83

Goodwin83 Active Member

Alright after another little time pass here I got to update. Had 60 bucks and went to the LCS today. It's getting a little harder to stomach some of the premiums still on the bullion coins they carry even with silver jumping to 23-24 an ounce. Off quality ASE's are going for 3 over....2.50 over on generics...anywhere from 3.75-6.00 on ASE,Maple,Philharmonic etc...and they want a whopping 10 over for 2013 Pandas. Even the premium on 90% translates to 5 over...so I figured since I started in on 40% Unc Ike's as a collection that I would move forward with that. In my previous post I got a 71s and a 72s. Today I added these...
    73Ike.jpg 74Ike.jpg 76Ikefront.jpg 76Ikeback.jpg

petro89, Pi man and Prime Mover like this.
  20. petro89

petro89 Member

Gotta like Ike!!

21. Goodwin83

Goodwin83 Active Member

So...Pi man...whats been up with you? Get anything lately?

Draft saved Draft deleted