Save $100,000!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Some eBay sellers make astonishingly false claims.

http://ebayitem.com/133061755911

This seller has a low-grade third-century Roman provincial listed as "Julius Caesar as a child, 90 BC" for only $400,000. But, at least it is $100,000 less than he claims it used to be. Oh, and you get free shipping.

How can one have 8959 feedback and only 97.4% positive? Lots of eBay criminals manage feedback over 99%!

(Most of his other coins are overpriced by a factor of 1000. He makes HR_LP look like a piker!)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

philologus_1 likes this.
  4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

5. R*L

R*L Well-Known Member

I always get slightly nervous when looking at listings like that, the chances of accidentally clicking buy now are low, but the consequences, o dear!

6. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Are these E bay sellers really trolling for chumps or are they mentally ill people suffering with episodes of delusion :wacky:? These adds do bring a sense of levity :D and on the other hand they are sad :(....

7. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Didnt you guys know? If it's Ancient, then it is has to be Julius Caesar. And you guys call yourselves experts:wacky:

8. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

For most people, there's a point that a price stops being "real money" and is just numbers. How many aureii could you buy for 22 trillion dollars?

Anyway, this listing passed that point for the seller about $399,997 ago.

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

10. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Money laundering if it sells...

Dug13 and pprp like this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

What a joke. I mostly avoid ebay unless I can attribute a coin fully and the price is fair. Fakes are also a big concern.

Theodosius likes this.
  12. Kaipolehua

Kaipolehua New Member

I’ve bought what turned out to be counterfeit coins on eBay when I started to go online...I didn’t realize they were counterfeit until much later when I showed them to a coin dealer here locally.

eBay couldn’t care less...I was able to track one seller down and I never heard back from him again! I’m glad I wasn’t taken for more...lost about $350. Could’ve been worse...

13. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

I looked at the listing on eBay, then looked at his feedback, as far as the first negative. Most of his sales were books rather than coins, and most buyers were pleased. The first negative involved a disagreement about the condition of the book. So I looked at the original listing for the book. I noticed an odd point in the listing. The location of the book was listed as Mobile, AL., but the listing said, "DOES NOT SHIP TO USA." Why would you have a book already in the US but not be willing to ship it to a buyer in the US? I've never sold but one item on eBay, so maybe there is something I don't understand here.

14. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

One of my "investments" was one million shares of stock in a Chinese company that makes electric cars. I spent about a hundred bucks for them and put them in my Fidelity account. As a snarky joke I tried to set a sale price for automatic sale of this stock. I thought a dollar a share would be delightful. Fidelity refused to let me set it up. Guess I'll have to watch the stock price closely.

15. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

I offered him 99 cents this time, only because ebay wouldn't allow my offer of a nickel.

16. Joseph_8314

Joseph_8314 Member

Does anyone know who is actually on the obverse? Diadumenion maybe?

17. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Draft saved Draft deleted