San Francisco coin/medal?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Stevescoins, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Stevescoins

Stevescoins Active Member

I found this and can't seem to find much about it. I saw a couple similar, but not this exact one. Thanks for any information! CAM00313.jpg CAM00309.jpg

Paddy54 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It should be noted 1789 was the year the Department of the Treasury was chartered by Congress. I found a few examples of this on the Internet - there's one on Ebay - but little information.

Paddy54 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

This is a Mint issued bronze medal commemorating the branch mint in San Francisco. I believe that 1789 is the year that the Treasury Department was established. There are also similar medals for the other locations - Philadelphia, Denver, Charlotte, Dahlonega, New Orleans, Carson City, West Point and Fort Knox.

I bought the entire set more than 10 years ago, but I don't know if they still have them available.

Chris

5. Stevescoins

Changed it, the holder said 1789-S. I figured it was much newer :)

6. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I believe it is a bicentennial medal struck in 1989

7. Stevescoins

Thanks, it was purchased in '91 so that makes sense. I read low mint numbers, but that may have been a specific city.

8. SuperDave

In my research for this thread I found a similarly designed medal for the New York Assay Office, as well.

9. cpm9ball

Medals are typically struck in pretty low numbers. The US Mint is one of the few that will keep turning out medals as long as there is a demand.

Chris

10. cpm9ball

Dave, do you have a photo of the NY Assay Office medal? I haven't taken mine out and looked at them in quite a long while.

Chris

11. SuperDave

Had to retrace a couple steps, but here's what I ran into:

NYAssay.jpg

WestPoint.jpg

Also, one from Ft. Knox, and an explanation in a previous thread here:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/trying-to-find-info-on-a-b-e-p-medal.158073/

Conder had the answer. What a surprise. :p :)

Draft saved Draft deleted