Trying to find info on a B.E.P. Medal?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ronterry, Feb 22, 2011.

1. ronterry

ronterry New Member

Can't find anything on this medal what so ever? It's very similar to the 1972 Treasury Building Medal I purchased three weeks ago at the BEP along with the '72 medal. BTW: was the 1972 Treasury Building medal actually made in 1972? If so they must of pulled out some old stock?

Here's a photo of my BEP medal in question....The reverse is the same as the Treasury medal below except there is a star where the date 1789 is...
    BEP-COIN.jpg

Here is the Treasury Building medal photo. This one is NOT mine, but it's condition and appearance is the same...

c29282370.jpg

Thanks a bunch!!!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

actually very different medals.

The building is at a different angle (view).

4. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

I have similar medals for the:
    United States Assay Office, San Francisco
    United States Bullion Depository, Fort Knox, Kentucky
    :)

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Most likely part of the US Mint's Historic Buildings of the United States series. No pictures but one of the medals in the series is the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. The catalog number was 944 and it comes in the 1 5/16 inch size. The Mint still makes them last I knew. The cost would be around $5.50 they aren't available on the Mint website but you can get a list of all the medals the mint makes by calling (800-872-6468)

6. ronterry

ronterry New Member

Thanks for the replies!

So is it safe to say that both these medals were minted in 2010 at the Philadelphia Mint?
    ...and Is PCGS just putting the date of 1972 on the slabbed Treasury building Medal for giggles?

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No you can't say they were minted in 2010. I have a list from 1990 that lists it. The 1972 date on the PCGS holder is probably from when the medal was added to the Mints list of medals.

Draft saved Draft deleted