Safest PM?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Mark14, Jan 19, 2012.

?

What PM should i invest in?

1. Gold

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Silver

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  3. Copper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Junk Silver coins

12 vote(s)
    48.0%
  5. keep the money in the bank

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mark14

Mark14 Star Wide Receiver

i have $2500 in the bank, my father said that i could transfer some of it to PM's so i could get more financial aid from the government, what would be the "safest" investment. I know there is no such thing, but what looks like it is going to hold its value or even gain within the next year?.

Mark

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

I really don't know much about PM's and what makes them go up and down. But from what I've read from other posts on CoinTalk is that gold is the more stable of the PM's. I personally like silver the best. Although I did read somewhere that over the past few years palladium has out-performed gold, silver, and platinum. That's really all I can offer, it probably won't help much. Just wait a few and there will definitely be several comments that will help direct you better than I can.

4. Mark14

im only looking to spend about $500 or so, because if something happens and whatever i buy happens to fall drastically i would be S.O.L

5. silverfool

silverfool Active Member

with that outlook you would never invest in anything at all. there is a risk in all investments but PMs will never go to zero like some stocks have. OTH if you just leave it in dollars you can count on them going down in value so that's no solution, and they might fall drastically also. i would put half the money in any PM and just hold.

6. Mark14

any pm whatsoever?
    so gold silver platnium copper

i think that would be a good idea cuz i will get more financial aid

7. bsowa1029

You don't really have that many options with $500. If you wanted to get some gold you'd have to stick to a 1/10 oz. A 1/4 oz gold eagle would use up almost all of your $500.

I'd say get one 1/10 oz gold eagle, three or four 1 oz silver eagles, and then a couple hundred worth of pre 1964 silver u.s. coins. Get common dates for the pre 64 silver coins, you can get them for closer to the silver spot price. And shop around and look for the best price, online and at coin shops if there are any around where you live. Craigslist can also be a good place to check, try searching 'junk silver'.

If you are going to buy from a coin shop, use cash, some places charge a 3% credit card fee.

8. Mark14

saturday i am meeting someone in a parking lot to buy a one oz willie nelson silver round for 35. not much above spot but its a start.
    and that isnt included in my $500

9. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Where's option Mercury?

10. bsowa1029

for $35 I'd say go with an ASE, unless you're a big Willie Nelson fan.

11. Mark14

well everywhere else charges a lot above spot. so i figured why not get one with willie nelson on it.

12. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

That's the ticket! Hide your assets and let the taxpayers pay your way.

13. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

Well if you want to know which ones are safest, silver dust can kill you, but regular silver is ok, and gold is heavy and you could drop it on your toe, so I would go with silver. :smile

14. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

The safest metal in my opinion would be copper. You wont make a lot of money but you won't lose a lot either. That seems to be the steadiest metal of the ones you listed. With that being said i would go with gold personally. I like it and I don't think it will lose a lot of value, some experts think that gold might even get over $2000 an ounce within the next year. You could always just put the money into physical cash but I think thst would be money laundering which is a no no. I say just keep it in the bank and actually pay for your education.

15. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

The safest PM is the one you don't invest in period. You never lose money, or gain any. It's the safest choice barnone...probably not what you wanted to hear.

16. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

gee whiz. why not but junk silver or ASE's from a local coin shop? I wouldn't meet someone in a parking lot for a stinking single round.

17. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

how about invest in being honest and responsible?
    you 1st are trying to hide money to get the tax payers to pay for you...then your going to use that money to buy over priced crap in a parking lot...
    if I were you and wanted to still stick it to the taxpayers...I would just buy as cheap of silver as you could find...course also your only looking to get $500 out of the $2500 your trying to hide...where you going to put that $2000?
    I think you need to smarten up a bit and stop trying push a bill off on other people then stop using the money to pay for CRAP and I do mean CRAP...($35 RIP OFF) that you could use to pay your way...

18. Elapid

Elapid Member

$2,500 isn't hiding much and it isn't enough to pay for books and food for a semester. I'm sure you are getting grants and student loans that have a low APR and you will pay back when you start work with your degree. I have no problem sticking some of that money in an investment that you will probably cash out before you're out of school to make life a little easier. I now pay more in taxes with my degree than I made before, so the government is in a win situation anyway. The money the government spends on grants come back ten fold in taxes from a larger paycheck. Don't worry about Uncle Sam he will always get his cut and before you know it you will be supporting him.

With that said I think you might want to buy, I hate the term, scrap silver. You can sell it in small amounts for a book, 6 pack, or to take one of those co-ed babes out on a date. See if you can get some pre 64 coins for 20 X face, that's what I got my last scrap buy for. Then you can fairly claim that you have $100 to $200 saved that wouldn't bother your student aid and wouldn't be making false financial statements, the Government consider them only worth face value so no harm no foul.

19. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Yeah, the government gets it back in the end, but, in the meantime, people in genuine need go without.

It probably means nothing to you, Mark and Elapid, but you've both earned my complete and total disrespect and mistrust because of your blase attitudes toward the cheating of the system. Your attitudes make me wonder, too, where and who else you cheat, abuse and manipulate to get ahead.

20. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

It doesn't matter what PM you invest in. If you make your money decisions with the goal of receiving the most government assistance, you will always be poor.

21. Mark14

REPLY TO ALL.

i am going to end up paying my own way anyways, that money is for me to use after i graduate, so i have no problem keeping it, i am not cheating anyone now that you guys have spoken about it. the only reason money is leaving that account is to buy a box of halves. then itll be going right back into the account. thank you for letting me see that i would be cheating the system, i apologize.

Mark

Draft saved Draft deleted