Safe, safe deposit box, or hiding place?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Jan 17, 2020.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

What's wrong with a gun safe or other heavy object ?

With a Wi-Fi camera taking pictures/video, isn't that a pretty good combo ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldFinger1969

I use Chubb.

4. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

I don't see much value in recording a thief who grabs the heavy storage container and splits. Yes, a camera deters some criminals, but not all. Let's suppose someone breaks in, enters the room where your bullion is, is recorded on camera now, do you think he'll stop? I think he'll take the loot and run.

And I don't have much faith that even if he is caught I would get back all of my bullion. The loser would probably pawn it all over the place for drug money and throwaway the stuff he doesn't think is of value.

5. GoldFinger1969

A heavy safe is a deterrent, no ?

And I would think the police would be able to ID someone whos face and ID are known from the recording.

Maybe.....good to have all the serial numbers written down, plus pics.

Isn't a gun safe pretty tough to get into, or these heavy-duty Sentry safes I've read about ?

6. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Not really as secure as you'd think, or hope.

GoldFinger1969 and Gilbert like this.
  7. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Best idea is not telling people you have a coin collection or PMs. For better coins — a safety deposit box, with sufficient insurance, and a complete inventory. Everything else is hidden — our eldest son is the only person who knows the location. Also, my next door neighbor (retired Airborne) keeps a close eye on our place when we are not home.

8. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

A gun safe is just as hard to get into as a regular safe. They are pretty much built the same.

I would not suggest storing your guns and coins in a safe together though. Not sure how gun oil would affect the coins.

GoldFinger1969 and masterswimmer like this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, but I'll bet neither of you is a good enough shot to hit an intruder in your house while you're both out at a restaurant.

Can't argue with the dog, though. :)

MontCollector and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  10. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

IMO a safe is an attractant not a deterrent. It might keep a kid from getting at your valuables but many professional crooks are adept at getting into them. And many B&E types assume you have camera coverage, so wear something over their face. Thinking like a thief will guide you well.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  11. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

they can't break in, if they don't know they exist. people need to keep their mouths shut

12. GoldFinger1969

Interesting....was there more to the video ? What was the video doing besides debunking how safe safes are ?

I think for the "average" thief who doesn't break into a house or apartment complex (surrounded by neighbors) and bring two 4-foot crow bars, the safe is a pretty good deterrent.

You can always leave some cash in an envelope in a drawer and hope they take that and vamoose. :p

13. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

True. However the Pitt Bull is not the only dog in the house. I am pretty sure once they hear all of them barking on the inside they would move along.

14. masterswimmer

All you need to do is Google, 'breaking into a safe'.

First thing's first, if the safe isn't bolted to the foundation or at least bolted to structural framing it's screaming to be breached or outright stolen in its entirety.

There are quite a few videos out there extolling the virtues of their brand of safe. IMO the Fort Knox brand incorporates a good balance between fire protection, security, locking mechanism and quality of construction.

FryDaddyJr and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  15. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Diversify where you put your stash. Not all in one basket.

16. WoodyWW

WoodyWW Junior Member

Wouldn't most of that presume that your home is the type that would be burgled by "professional" crooks? Probably an expensive home in an expensive area. And/or that the crooks somehow know that you have a big safe full of valuables? I'm not an expert on high-end safes, but I think that getting into one probably takes a whole lot of expertise; & is not something that the average B&E type can do.

17. GoldFinger1969

I live on the 2nd floor of a condo and with wood floors I don't have a concrete floor option for bolting like my father did at our house growing up.

OTOH....with lots of people near me, it is highly unlikely someone can get into the building....get into my apt....break into the safe....or worse, take the entire 300-500 pound safe out to the street...and avoid my surveillance system, too...without anybody noticing.

I think there is one thing we can ALL agree on: keep your lips zipped, and don't advertise your wares.

Paul M. likes this.
  18. masterswimmer

As I mentioned in the post you quoted, bolt it to structural framing if bolting into concrete isn't an option.

If an intruder can't remove the safe due to high traffic in your condo complex you can prevent them from laying the safe on its back end to prevent the thieves from gaining a mechanical advantage with increased leverage while prying the door off. Every little deterrent helps.

19. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I picked up a used safe from a department store in California for free.
    The DM talked me into delivering a new one to the store.
    While I was there I helped them remove the old one that broke. (the locksmith took an hour and a half to try and get into it)
    Ending up with prying the door, cutting the bolts and drilling the case....1 and 1/2 hours from a PROFESSIONAL :greedy: with tools on site.

20. GoldFinger1969

RTE, what size and brand was that safe ?

21. rte

rte Well-Known Member

20170524_220626.jpg
    20170524_220642.jpg 20170524_220510.jpg
    It's now an ammo can.
    Made in USA, must have been on a Monday morning or Friday evening ( the initial failure was the weld on the bar that holds the 5 steel door pins.)

Draft saved Draft deleted