Featured Royal Canadian Mint Bullion DNA system

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, May 19, 2018.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

This is the world's most secure bullion for a number of reasons:

1) All gold and silver Maple Leafs since 2014 carry the features
    2) Those features available to the naked eye are hard to counterfeit radial lines and Maple Leaf privy with the minted year in it (very small, laser engraved, near impossible to counterfeit.
    3) Like all government minted bullion, has a common size, shape, and weight that is easily verified. In the Bullion DNA Reader, those specs are quickly determined by if they even fit in the holder.
    4) That DNA reader zooms in on the Maple Leaf privy and reads the bullion dna mark within it, traceable back to the mint

https://www.mint.ca/store/mint/about-the-mint/bullion-dna-8900026#.WwA2TkzMxmA

So, besides being the most beautiful bullion in the world, wouldn't you rather also have the most secure?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jeepfreak81

Jeepfreak81 Well-Known Member

Interesting, although I firmly believe anything COULD be counterfeited. The question becomes it it can be done cheaply enough to make it worth somebodies time and effort.

I like the Maple leafs but I'm actually a big fan of Australian bullion. I don't have much to spend on bullion and right now my collection is only an ASE, but I think an australian Kookaburra is in my future.

4. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

You should see the new mythical heros from South Korea. They have a cool 3D hologram thing actually struck from the silver. You flash it one way and it's AG flash it the other and it says 999

5. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

Plus the maples come with free milk spots...so there's an additional bonus

JBGood and baseball21 like this.
  6. myownprivy

Personally, I am much more interested in the security of a $1300 gold coin than I am a $19 silver. So, milk spots are not something I even think about, as gold doesn't milk spot. Although at this point it's moot anyway, because 2018 Silver Maples don't milk spot.

If I have $1300 a year I want to put in precious metals, I'd much rather do so for 1 Gold Maple at $1344 (3.5% over spot) than for 71 Silver Maples at $18.92 each (12.7% over spot!)

Just imagine if you have a safe deposit box and you're buying around $1300 of PMs per year before retirement. Over 40 years you'd be fine putting an ounce of gold in each year--no problem putting 40 ounces of gold in a safe deposit box. But how about storing those 2,800 pieces of silver in the same place over the same time? It just won't fit (that's what she said).

GoldFinger1969, JBGood and micbraun like this.
  7. crazyd

crazyd Well-Known Member

DNA implies that one 1 oz maple is different than another 1 oz maple - that its individually track able like human DNA. That has privacy concerns. Or are they exaggerating the term and it only means your able with the machine to verify its a legit RCM coin. Also how much for the machine reader?

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

We don’t actually know that yet and won’t for some time

9. myownprivy

I know it means only the die
    I think the reader is available only to dealers.

10. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

The following website claims it's done on a die level, 'To achieve the exclusive textured maple leaf mark, which contains the last two digits of the mintage year which are only visible under magnification, the mint laser-engraves the mark on the dies that are used for striking Gold and Silver Maple Leaf Coins. Then, through use of Digital Non-destructive Activation (DNA) technology, the mint converts, encrypts and registers, in its secure database, a special digital code for every die, which is obtained by capturing a microscopic view of each die’s mark.'

https://bullionexchanges.com/blog/2...test-security-enhancements-new-1-oz-gold-bar/

11. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

That's their identifying "fingerprint" to go along with the DNA. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted