roll searching

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Dammage, Aug 7, 2009.

1. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

No, they don't have silver in them....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

Some of the Eisenhower Dollars issued between 1971 and 1976 were composed of 40% Silver.

4. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

Yeah, just not the ones you get in rolls, normally.

5. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

where the heck are you guys getting your dime boxes from to get silver out of them?????

6. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

7. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

then you're quite lucky :)

Everything I've seen about searching quarters is negative - and the people that have found silver have gone through a lot more than that.

8. Dammage

Dammage Junior Member

I don't know if I'm cut out for this roll searching business. A box of dimes and $250 worth of quarters and nothing. I think I'll just keep buying it instead of searching for it.

9. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

Sorry. I stopped roll searching about a month or two ago to focus on buying better quality coins.

10. Art

Art Numismatist?

Ikes can be silver. Check first for the S mint mark.

Here's a breakdown from a post I made a while ago on a different forum.

...there are regular S mint proofs that are copper-nickel. Silver clads are 24.59 grams and copper-nickel clads are 22.68 grams.

71-S are all silver clad
    72-S are all silver clad
    73-S can be either silver or copper nickel
    74-S can be either silver or copper nickel
    76-S either
    77-S copper nickel only
    78-S copper nickel only

11. novillero

novillero Junior Member

True, but I do not believe that any of those Ikes were intended for circulation. In fact, after 1964, the only silver coins intended for circulation are the 40% silver JFKs which stopped in 1970. In 1971, there were no U.S. coins with silver intended for circulation.

So, if that is correct - which I think it is.... searching for silver Ikes in a roll is hoping that some kid took an Ike from a coin book, or cut it out of a mint or proof set and then bought something with it. I don't think it is worth it to search for silver Ikes.

12. rugrats2001

rugrats2001 Seeker of Truth

OK, an average of 1.5 silver dime per box, value $1.50, takes 17 minutes to find (.283 of an hour), giving you a 'salary' of ($1.50/.283 hours) $5.30 per hour.

But wait - unless the dimes just 'show up' on your table, you need to go to the bank and pick them up. How long does that take? How much gas? I assume no cost to return them, since you can expense that trip to the next batch you pick up at the same time. And no, you can't say "I was going out anyway", there is still the marginal time and gas spent getting to the bank from your 'anyway' stop, as well as the time spent in the bank.

Sounds to me like you may be netting $1-3 an hour with all things considered, if you are lucky.

And yes, that seems like a lot of work to make a small fraction of minimum wage!:hammer:

13. umn25

umn25 ANA #3154232

The problem with that is that banks don't have any Ikes to search! Large size dollars are pulled very quickly in what I've seen.

Roll searching is all luck, some find silver, some don't. You can increase your odds by searching halves for pre-1964 (90%) and 1965-1970 (40%)

14. Dammage

Dammage Junior Member

Yah it is luck. I had one Canadian dime in a box and it just happened to be 50%.

15. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

what if you get a key date silver? or if you just simply like to search rolls
    wouldn't it be worth it to just do it for the fun of it and to get some gain for it? also if you can think of a better way to gain silver without actually paying anything but time searching rolls or without having to work for a buttmunch at a 2nd job I'm ears as well as many others I bet

please don't take offense to this as to me it sounds like you know of a better way to get "free" silver and lacked to spell it out to us and I would really like to hear it so I can continue to add to my very small stockpile

16. the_man12

the_man12 Amateur Photographer

I have searched on $500 box and found a 1954 as well as an indiana proof..

17. commidaddy

commidaddy Senior Member

last time i searched it was $700 worth of halves and i only found junk...one kennedy with a hole in it and a "gold" electroplated half...very very disappointing. haven't tried again since.

18. rugrats2001

rugrats2001 Seeker of Truth

Sorry, no 'better' way to find silver, but I hardly consider the tiny return on my time by roll searching for silver to be 'free', and it certainly can't be compared to a job, since the return -on average- is far lower than minimum wage.

Search rolls for fun? Sure, a great way to spend an afternoon! Search rolls for varieties? Again, it could be a fun hunt. Search rolls of dimes or quarters for silver, forty-some years after 99.999% of silver coins were pulled from circulation, for profit? not so much...

Draft saved Draft deleted