Roll Hunting Questions

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Bambooski, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Bambooski

Bambooski Obsessed YN :)

Hi everyone! I am fairly new to roll searching, I mean I've been doing it for a while now but I have never gotten a box of coins, I always just get a few of each denomination, excluding halves and dollar coins. I was wondering, can I just go up to the teller and ask for a box of coins, or do I have to pre-order them or something? Also, do all banks have rolls of halves?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

1) Most of the time, yes, you can just go up to a teller and ask for a box.

2) Some banks do require you to order the boxes, just ask them and they'll tell you. It's always helpful to them to order ahead of time so they can be prepared.

3) No. As a matter of fact, no banks around at all me have rolls of halves. They occasionally get in a couple rolls, or some loose ones, but they never have them readily available.

Bambooski likes this.
  4. Bambooski

Thanks! I'll get a box soon. :)

5. gubni

gubni Active Member

Make sure you have a good relationship with the bank before asking for a box. In my opinion it is well worth the time to visit 20 or more banks and ask for half dollar rolls. I think calling would be equally productive, but I drive a lot so stop by when I can.

Bambooski likes this.
  6. Bambooski

The tellers at my bank are really lovely people and they understand that I am a roll searcher. :thumb:

7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have mine all bought off. They save me silver, silver certificates, older FRN's, even wheats if they see them. I bring candy, gift cards, hockey and baseball tickets. One just had a beeb so she is getting a Babies R Us gift card. I have gotten some pretty amazing stuff. Just the other day a teller handed me a 1945-S Merc dime that the coin machine rejected.

8. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

Ok, I got my first box of halves tonight. So I have 100 rolls to go through.

What dates and/or other features do I want to look for?

I know to look for silvers (1964-1969), and probably anything 2002 or later since they weren't issued to circulation...

What else???

9. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

Check out this thread, it pretty much covers it all.

http://www.cointalk.com/t228589/

10. Rassi

Thanks... I think I saw someone in another thread say that eBay bidiots would buy the 76's... should I save them, or is that a waste of time?

11. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

Lol that was me... I don't know, it's up to you. I personally save them and sell them on ebay.

12. Rassi

From a cursory look, it appears as if they do go for a slight premium. How do you sell them? Singles? Groups of 10? Other size groups?

In my first 13 rolls I've opened, I've got over 2 rolls worth of 76's....

Nothing great yet....a few 74Ds I want to look closer at, but I don't think any are really DDOs....

13. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

I usually sell them by the roll.

14. Rassi

Ok new question....

I'm almost finished with my box of halves. There are no banks around me with coin counters that are available for free. I've put the "return" coins back in wrappers. Should I just take the whole load (probably $400-$450) of halves in the box and return it to my drop bank, or should I bring them to the drop bank in smaller groups? I plan on just having them re-deposit the funds into my account with them.

Thanks!

15. Golden Eagle

Golden Eagle Member

I usually try to break up my coin dumps so that I won't annoy the tellers. This is especially true with something like halves that aren't easy to get rid of to non-searchers.

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

When I have large coin dumps I spread them out - I have eight different credit unions that count coin for free for members and I make the rounds so that nobody gets overwhelmed and takes notice. Be friendly with everybody - act like you are a businessman on your rounds and that it is all about keeping everybody happy and your profits high. You know you are in good with tellers when you hand them a cashout slip and they ask if you are interested in the coins they found in the reject slot - you know - those pre-1965 dimes etc and pre-1970 halves.

BTW I got four silver dimes and two 40% halves just that way just a couple of weeks ago.

17. Bambooski

Another quick question- I've been using quite a few banks, one of them being TD. I dump my coins in their machine and get new rolls. Does anyone know if the rolls I get are coming directly from the machine? And if so, does it reject silver coins?

18. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I am going to tell you that before long if you keep that up the tellers will stop selling you rolls. It is a bad karma thing. Never take coins back to where you got them, or you might see them again and again and again - or you could just chaff off the tellers into making rolls unavailable. I have two credit unions that are my dump places, I never buy any coins other than the silver rejects from the machine or stuff that comes over the counter.

19. Bambooski

I don't always use that bank, I have quite a few as I said, and I use each one once over the course of a few months. I really don't do that much roll searching, and I am not going to be doing any until September because I am away.

Draft saved Draft deleted