Featured Rhoemetalkes: A King of Thrace thanks to a Roman princeps

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

It is an impressive feet to be called a Greek "King" after Rome had taken in and taken over that realm geographicaly and spiritually. But Rhoemetalkes did just that. Though the land was, per Tacitus, "wild and savage with portions with enemies on its frontier."

upload_2020-2-2_16-19-54.png (Ancient Thrace under the Romans)

Tacitus tells us that Rhoemetalkes was "attractive and civilized". The insinuation being that due to him being Thracian that this was fairly singular.
    His lineage wag impeccable. He was a direct decent going all the way back to Cotys I (384-360 BCE). His great great great great great great grandpa was around when Amyntas III and Philip II were in charge of revitalizing Macedon!
    That said, it's also about who you know. And this guy had an ace in his front pocket. This guy had a fan in Augustus! And this loyalty was reciprocated in Thracian Coinage if the time. Which is both plentiful and surprisingly appealing to the eye:

046B29C5-5C77-4E6E-ACD2-4F41584C5FE9.jpeg
    Rhoemetalces and Augustus
    (11 BC-12 CE). Thrace. Æ (19mm, 5.89g, 3h). Diademed head of Rhoemetalces r. R/ Bare head of Augustus r. RPC I 1714. Green patina, Good VF
    72518152-D3CE-45B9-9250-B10455DE37DD.png
    Augustus, Rhoemetalkes I and Queen Pythodoris.
    Kings of Thrace. ca.11 BC-AD 12. AE (23mm, 11.02g). BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΡOIMHTAΛKOΥ. Jugate heads of Rhoemetalkes, diademed, and his queen Pythodoris, right. / ΚΑΙΣΑΡΟΣ ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΥ. Bare head of Augustus right. RPC 171
    Former: Kairos

"How did this ancient bromance start?", you may ask.
    With his dad and older brother both dead in 48 BCE it was up to him to take care of his nephew, Rhescuporis I, as he came off age and took power. Some 35 years later when Vologases decided to revolt against Rome he killed the King in a bid to take over Thrace. With Rome's help the revolt was squashed and Augustus gave the thrown back to the rightful hier, our man Rhoemetalkes.

BE291747-787D-41B4-91A4-9CB7C440D06A.jpeg
    (Thrace was known for the furocity if it's warriors)
    upload_2020-2-2_16-23-17.jpeg
    (Actual ancient Thracian weaponry)

Despite the amazing life and lineage of the man the only reason we know his wife, Queen Pythodoris (or that he was even married for that matter), is thanks to our numismatic evidence. Go coins!
    Remarkably, Rhoemetalkes would die just 2 years before his old buddy Augustus, in 12 CE. Thrace was then further divided up via the Romans between his sons and brother.
    Anywhoob, I came across this very cool and unique type that I'd never seen before. I loved the style and iconography I put in a bid thinking I'd get smoked like a cheap cigar... And won it!
    Check out my latest Rhoemetalkes under Augustus:
    AE2306AD-0653-409E-946B-193BAAA9459A.png
    Rhoemetalkes I with Augustus (Circa 11 BC-12 AD). Ae.
    Obv: ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΥ.
    Fasces and capricorn right.
    Rev: ΡΟΙΜΕΤΑΛΚΟΥ.
    Male head right above curule chair, decorated with monogram.
    RPC I 1705; Jurukova 168.
    Rare
    Condition: Near very fine.
    Weight: 2.86 g.
    Diameter: 16 mm.
    Ex: Savoca

Pishpash, TIF, Andres2 and 15 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice writeup, as usual, @Ryro.

Here's mine, with Augustus and Rhoemetalces (what a great name!) having a double date with their respective ladies.

THRACE Kings - Roemetalces 197.jpg KINGS OF THRACE. Rhoemetalces I.
    AE28. 13.51g, 28mm. Sapaian, late 1st century BC - AD 12. RPC I 1708; Youroukova 182-4. O: BAΣIΛEΩΣ POIMHTAΛKOY, Jugate busts of Rhoemetalces, diademed, and Pythadoris, right. R: KAIΣAPOΣ ΣEBAΣTOY, Jugate busts of Augustus, laureate, and Livia, right; to right, capricorn right, holding globe.

Pishpash, TIF, Andres2 and 6 others like this.
  4. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

@zumbly yours with both jugate heads is one of a kind! Awesome!! thanks for sharing :)

Just have these quite common ones:
    Æ20, Thrace, ca 11 BC - 12 AD
    19 x 20 mm, 5.12g
    Ref.: RPC 1718; BMC 7-9, SNG Copenhagen 1192; Youroukova 200

Ob.: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΡOIMHTAΛKOΥ Diademed head of Rhoemetalkes right
    Rev.: KAIΣAΡOΣ ΣEBAΣTOΥ Bare head of Augustus right; countermark behind Augustus head

upload_2020-2-2_21-48-55.png upload_2020-2-2_21-49-7.png

Æ22, Thrace, ca 11 BC - 12 AD
    22 mm, 9.82 g

Ref.: RPC 1711; Youroukova 204;
    Ob.: BAΣIΛEΩS POIMHTAΛKOY Jugate heads of Rhoemetalkes, with diadem, and his queen Pythodoris, draped, right
    Rev.: ΚΑΙΣΑΡΟΣ ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΥ Bare head of Augustus right. Countermark X?

upload_2020-2-2_21-53-44.png upload_2020-2-2_21-53-54.png

zumbly, Pishpash, TIF and 4 others like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Attributing these coins is not as straightforward as one might think.

Here's a similar coin, but it's unclear who is on the coin because experts disagree. Augustus or Tiberius? Rhoemetalkes I or his grandson, Rhoemetalkes II? Pythodoris, the wife of Rhoemetalkes I or some other Pythodoris?

[​IMG]
    Kings of Thrace under Roman rule.
    AE 24 mm, 6.88 g.
    Obv: ΑΥΤΟΚΡΑΤΟ[ΡΟΣ ΚΑΙΣΑΡΟΣ ΣΕΒΑΣ]ΤΟΥ, bare head of Augustus or Tiberius, right.
    Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩ[Σ ΡΟΙΜΗΤΑΛΚΟΥ], jugate bust of Rhoemetalkes I or II, diademed, and queen (Pythodorus?), right.
    Refs: BMC 3.209,23; Sear GI 5405; Youroukova 201; Forrer 207.

zumbly, Pishpash, TIF and 4 others like this.
  6. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great write up and map, and of course coins. It seems there are two types as far as skill level of die engraving of these Rhoemetalkes, yours Ryro and zumbly have a more realistic look to the busts and mine and cmezner's top one have the cartoon character look. augustus.jpg Augustus and Rhoemetalkes, Bronze Semi autonomous coinage of Thracia, c11BC-12AD KAISAROS SEBASTOU, Bust of Augustus right

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    zumbly, Pishpash, TIF and 5 others like this.
  7. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

I found this explanation for the different types of engraving, if I understand correctly there must be more than two styles:

"The quality of portraits on the issues of Rhoemetalkes ranges from clumsy and barbaric looking ones to ones of very sophisticated style, surely made by the hands of artists."

oh mei, than I will remain in a state of confusion:confused::confused::confused::D

zumbly, Pishpash, Ryro and 2 others like this.
  8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Sorry to respond so late on this seemingly dead thread like bringing back Jason Voorhies. But I've gotta share the love and appreciation with those that responded
    upload_2020-2-4_17-39-7.jpeg
    ... And ask a question:shame:
    Just the best type, style and condition of these coins that I've seen from my man @zumbly!:artist::cigar:#classeverytimeout
    Some real beauties from @cmezner as well:singing::woot:
    Great coin and education @Roman Collector! As always, your insight is appreciated:)
    Good point on the difference in quality with these and fun coin @Ancient Aussie. I wonder if Augustus lent out one of his celators to his Barbarous boy to help Thrace overcome the stigma of being a land of barbarians:shifty:
    Ps, I was hoping to see other types of my new coin (the one with the unexplained severed head on a curule chair). There are only a few on AC search. And to be honest I'm not even sure the reverse is facing the right way (they differ in the few listed).
    Anyone else on CT have one of these strange macabre coins with the cool i"coin"ography?

cmezner, zumbly and Ancient Aussie like this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

There was a very nice 5 headed version of this coin in the most recent Naumann auction. I was tempted. Did a CoinTalker win it? Here's the coin:

[​IMG]
    Rhoemetalkes, Pythodoris, and Kotys IV (?) obv; Augustus and Livia reverse

zumbly, cmezner, Bing and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted