Red spots on .9999 pure gold coins?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by BDF_NYC, Jan 24, 2010.

1. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Yep, I said that in #16 above. My point of concern is the suggestion it is a similar reaction to copper or silver based reactions ( toning, corrosion,oxidation, etc.)

Yes, the color does appear in the life zones of earth, but it is not an oxide or a chemical combining such as occurs with silver or other metals according to science.

Yet, millions , maybe even billions of people, believe in improbable events that will never occur, so who are scientists to say it is so.

Beware of 12/21/2012 !!:D

Jim

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I would only ask you on more question Jim. Has science never been wrong before ?

Perhaps I should rephrase that - have scientist never been wrong before ?

And no Jim, I'm not talking about old or ancient science/scientist. I'm talking about stuff that I have seen in my own lifetime - and yours. You've seen it to.

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I wonder what happened in 2006 with the 1oz coins at the US mint? Did they leave them under the wash for too long or heat for too long? Although gold does tone, we are not really talking about toning, we are talking about red spots which I interpret to be similar only to milk spots on other coins such as the Lincoln cents many of us have gotten from the US mint.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Uhhhh no, we're not. Nor are we talking about just US Mint coinage. But rather coinage from the present date to back to when coins were first made from pure gold over a thousand years ago.

Nor is red the only color. Gold tones all colors just like all other coins. Red is merely the most common for gold.

6. Info Sponge

Info Sponge Junior Member

Are we still on BDF_NYC's question? That was about localized red spots on modern US Mint gold.

7. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

I still think it is smoke. There's a lot of nasty chemicals in that smoke. This pertains to silver coins, but I had some ASEs that I put in sleeves. The tops where somewhat exposed and have toned. This was when the GF was smoking like a chimney. Recently she has stopped, and I decided I didn't want a top only toned coin. So, I put that one away and have taken another coin out of the tube. This one has been completely exposed to the air now for over a month, and no toning yet. I'm still on the idea that it isn't oxidation but something nasty. I've read that cyanide is in cigarette smoke. I'd be curious as to two coins bought at the same time one in a smokers house the other not. I'd be curious to know if the one in the smokers house gets more red spots and sooner than the non-smoking house.

8. jeffusa

jeffusa Member

I can add to this. I don't believe it is caused by something at the mint. I had red spots form on a 1999 Australian Kangaroo in the last year. This occurred while it was in one of the new edge view NGC holders and while it was sitting in one of my wooden drawers that is filled with other kinds of papers including newspaper.

P.S. I live in a smoke-free household.

9. grizz

grizz numismatist

....everyone knows the real problem is GLOBAL WARMING!!:rolleyes:

10. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

11. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

yes the problem is there isnt any and they are aking fools out of us we are actually seeing global cooling

12. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

Welcome Back Spock!

You've been around long enough to know not to stray off topic like this.

Warning to all: Keep the politics out of it. Talk about toning or whatever, but leave the politics in the PRWE forum.

13. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

Hi troll,

I thought we were in a GD thread yes youa re right why is this being posted in a regular thread. i did send you an email the other day with some info for the upcoming auction and winnings. I hope you got it. LMK thanks

14. newman668

newman668 New Member

hey guys, i found out my PAMP 999.9 gold bar has some red dots, is this normal?
    here is a pic:
    fu9cee.jpg

15. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Welcome to Coin Talk! If you read through this thread, you can see that it happens. I'm not sure the word "normal" applies to coins since there is a wide range of variation in almost everything.

16. koen

koen New Member

not sure if the answer came up allready why its always 999,9 on gold

The answer is simple:
    When they dig up gold it goes to a rafinary.
    There they remove all the inpurity's.
    There is never a way to remove all of it, and that is why they will always describe pure gold as 999,9
    because there is always a chanse that there is some other natural mineral or impurity that remains in the gold

Same thing for silver.

Only reaso they add copper to it for jewels and stuf is because pure gold is "soft".
    The copper is added to make the metal harder.
    When you should make a ring out of pure gold, it wil deform rather quickly because it is not hard enough.

17. rollo

rollo New Member

I would be curious to find out if the .99999 gold coins from the RCM have any toning issues since those gold coins are purer than any other gold coins out there.

18. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I think they would tone less, but until they get to the 1.00000 level, the possibility exists. IMO, the greater threat is that the coins will get a very small quantity of [something] on the surface during the minting and packaging process that will show up on the face of the coin as an imperfection of some sort. Until they start using Silicon Valley quality clean rooms to mint and package coins, this will always be a problem.

19. frankd600

frankd600 New Member

RCM .99999 with red spot

I recently purchased an RCM .99999 from Kitco, my first gold coin, and it does have a red spot. I'm on the fence about selling it and trying to get another one from a different dealer.

RCM_Gold_maple_99999.jpg

20. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

21. correucoins

correucoins New Member

Lol. This post has hilarious replies.

I often see the spots on .9999 coins. The only real solution is to sell it, and get another. You can go through dozens of coins before you get one you like... trust me.

What ticks me off, is when a ms-70 slabbed coin has the spots. Those spots should drop a slabbed coin automatically to ms-64 or less, in my opinion. They are ugly, and DESTROY any eye-appeal the coin had. They are a FLAW, and ms-67 and above needs to be reserved for practially-flawless up to completely-flawless coins ONLY.

Draft saved Draft deleted