Recent pick-ups- coin shows and estate sales

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by longarm, Mar 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

- Edited - So far, most of the builders in my area are still "pounding nails". I guess it's good to have an outside job right now. How about the construction in your area?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

- Edited -

4. Robert Ransom

Get ready, here they come.

5. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

huh? We have the most virus here in the good old USA. - Edited -

6. Robert Ransom

And you arrived at this conclusion how? Listening to the Fake News or did you actually, really, spend serious time investigating the causes of the increase of the spread of the virus? Probably not, just another Liberal rant.

longarm likes this.
  7. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

I have more work than I can handle right now, but
    I gave my crew some time off, so now they're bored out of their minds sitting around so I'm having them do jobs when nobody else is around, which isn't as hard as it sounds. The funny thing is, after doing a couple of safe rooms last year, that's what people are wanting now.

8. Robert Ransom

With the increase in the number of crazies poking their ugly heads out of the ground, it's no wonder.
    I was in the business for many years, but physical problems forced me to retire or I would still be out there banging my sixty year old hammer. My Nephews have been going strong in this business for 30 years and never out of work.
    Best of luck to you and keep on hammering.

9. longarm

One good thing about all this, they're allowing restaurants in my area to deliver booze, so I just ordered fajitas and a pitcher of margarita's for delivery.

TheFinn, Robert Ransom and Jeffjay like this.
  10. longarm

Thanks and the very best to you too.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  11. Robert Ransom

I love margaritas!!!!! Salud!!!

12. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

The virus that took down America.

13. Robert Ransom

The 1918 flu?

14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

A nice day you had!

15. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Why not? Where did the Spanish flu come from? West Nile virus, Lyme disease? Zika virus or Ebola come from?

16. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I can't tell what's being edited. Is it mentions of China?

A few names for COVID-19 have been suggested. Coronavirus is the most common one I've seen on social media.
    Problem: it doesn't specify the virus well enough.

China/Chinese Virus was used by Trump for a short while, but seems to have fizzled out.
    Problem: some people claim that this term will cause long-term stigmatization of Chinese people in general.

Wuhan Virus was proposed but I don't think it went anywhere.
    Problem: same as above, I guess? I don't see a problem with it.

CCP Virus was proposed but I don't think it went anywhere either.
    Problem: none, as it's probably the most accurate.

On the topic of naming conventions for diseases or afflictions: I don't remember anybody, ever, making a fuss about the following:
    Guinea Worm: It's a worm, and its often found in Guinea.
    Ebola Virus: It's a virus, and it was named after the Ebola River in Zaire.
    Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever: It's a spotted fever first found in the Rocky Mountains.

Point being, nobody, not even people from the Ebola River area or the Rocky Mountains feel "stigmatized" that a horrible disease is named after their geographic region.

Why should COVID-19 be any different?

longarm likes this.
  17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Did you notice that none of the examples were named after a race of humans? That is why it should be different besides by using the scientific designation, it will make future vaccines for it able to be easily determinable. IMO, Jim

18. Robert Ransom

Covid-19 sounds like a covert operation conducted by a governmental agency. I get the Covid part, but are there 18 other variations?

longarm likes this.
  19. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

And what of African trypanosomiasis/African sleeping sickness? I don’t think that term is disparaging to Africans anymore than [insert red edited here] is to Chinese people.

As an aside, scientific names themselves aren’t always butterflies and gumdrops, sure never to offend anybody, and spending anytime around a microbiologist confirms this. First example that comes to mind are the SMAD4 mutations that are one of the many implicated in the progression of colon cancer; SMAD4 stands for “Mothers against decapentaplegic homolog 4,” and was so named as a spoof on Mother’s Against Drunk Driving.

Would the term “Wuhan virus” sit right with you? That is certainly comparable to the examples @hotwheelsearl provided. If not, and in order to be consistent, should we rename any pathogen or disease that includes a location, nationality, race, etc. and only use proper taxonomy?

COVID-19 = coronavirus disease 2019

The proper name for the virus itself is severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, or SARS-CoV-2. It is extremely similar (roughly 80% or so in structure and genome) to the first SARS virus, hence why it has been named as the second.

As an aside, the term "coronavirus" alone isn't nearly descriptive enough, as there are several coronaviruses that cause disease in humans.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    longarm likes this.
  20. longarm

Regardless of what we call it, I think we all should err on the side of caution. I'm hunkering down and I suggest everyone else should also, take care of the ones you care about. Keep your distance and don't drop your guard. Hopefully, this will pass and we can all get back to where we were.

21. longarm

Kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it? Well, you have to destroy to rebuild.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.