Reasonably Priced Numismatic Gold Coins?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by krest, Oct 23, 2009.

1. krest

krest Junior Member

Newbie to CoinTalk & this is my first post.

Basically looking for advice on US & foreign gold coins that are not priced significantly higher than their gold content.

I'm aware of the American Eagles & the foreign coins that have cropped up over past couple of decades just for the purpose of selling gold by the ounce (usually) but was looking more at something with more historical appeal that actually circulated.

Don't care about superior grades & the high price they command. Just looking for reasonably priced alternatives to the Krugerrands, Maple Leafs, Philamarmonics, etc.

Thanks in advance

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

You could look at the $20 gold liberties in low mint grades. Also look at the gold commemoratives from the 1980s.

4. chip

chip Novice collector

welcome to coin talk, it is hard to find reasonably priced gold coins when gold is over a k an ounce

5. Prestoninanus

Prestoninanus Junior Member

American gold coins tend to have a higher premium. Stuff from outside america (19th and 20th century gold) can often be had for a small premium over spot. Gold Sovereigns are generally reasonably priced and still trade as bullion even today.....

6. Otter

Otter Likes shiny objects

US Premium

While no one wants to spend more than they have to, if there is a relatively consistent premium to spot for AGEs, then does it matter? Or does the premium disappear when you sell?

7. Argento

Argento Perplexed

Of the few AGE's I've sold over the years, I always recouped what I paid in premiums by selling at a premium. AGE's are a safe bet if you can get them for around 5% premium. Of course, the fractionals demand higher percentage premiums but they can be sold for the same premium.

8. Otter

Otter Likes shiny objects

Thats been my experience as well. If I pay a $50 premium to spot, I can usually sell it for a $50 premium to spot to another collector or spot to a dealer.

So does the difference in premiums difference between AGEs and AGBs really matter?

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

The $20's have too much of a premium for this parsimonious Scot to buy lately, but the $20 Canadian from 1967 and the 1980's gold commems from the USA still trade pretty close to melt.

A while back you could buy EF-AU common date $20 Libs for something like 3-4% over spot, like about four years ago. Now they are trading at a premium.

10. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Aurem non olet

Different dealers have different margins and those change over time, sometimes considerably. Last year at this time there was a significant shortage of many kinds of gold coins. Some dealer would tout their stock of this or that, but, then be out of stock on something else. The US Mint ran out of Eagles and then Buffalos.

Also, you pay a greater premium for smaller coins.

GOLD PREMIUM
    COIN OVER
    NAME BULLION

US Gold Eagle 1 oz 5.7%
    US Gold Eagle 1/2 oz 12.0
    US Gold Eagle 1/4 oz 16.0
    US Gold Eagle 1/10 27.5%

Austria 100 Corona 1 oz (.9802 oz) 5.9%
    Austria Philharmonic 1 oz (1 oz) 5.5
    Austria 1 ducat (0.1107 oz) 11.2
    Austria 4 ducat (0.4428) 7.2

UK Sovereign (.2354 oz) 12.3%
    France 20 Franc (.1867 oz) 12.4%
    Swiss 20 Franc (.1867 oz) 12.4%
    Germany 20 Mark (.2304 oz) 18.5%

Realize that the Austrian coins are all moderns. Even the ducats are proof-like restrikes of the old 19th century coin.

The UK Sovereign usually sells for the same price regardless of whether it is a modern Elizabeth a 20th century George or Edward or a 19th century Victoria, whether Imperial, Jublilee or Young Head. Of course, the older, nicer coin will be in a lower grade for the same price as the modern uncirculated.

The French, Swiss and German are typically 19th century coins. The Swiss are often also 20th century. The French come in two kinds, "Roosters" and "Angels."

The best thing I found is to go to a larger coin show or numismatic convention and see who has what at what price.

Below is an Angel -- he is inscribing the French Constitution.

Attached Files:

11. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

... while I'm on the subject ...

In addition, there are Mexican gold coins from the huge 50 Peso (1.2057) ounce down to the tiny 2.5 and 2 Peso.

Columbia minted a 5-Peso on the same standard as the UK Sovereign and you find them for less as they are less often desired.

The Swiss and French weigh the same because they were the core of the Latin Monetary Union, which included up to 20 nations officially or unofficially. So, there are all kinds of European and other gold coins of the same weight that often cost less.

The Russian 5 rouble was another unpopular coin with a low margin, until it became popular... but then a Pre-WWI hoard from Norway was discovered... but then there were a lot of modern fakes... but then...

So, basically, again, go to a coin show or a numismatic convention and see what you find. Stay away from online dealers. Stay close to ANA-member dealers and locals you know or can know.

12. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Welcome aboard. Go with the American Eagles. beautiful design.

13. krest

krest Junior Member

Just want to say a quick thank you to all who have commented so far.

Already own a couple of American Eagles & love the design. Going to be researching some of the recommendations & see about adding some to my collection. Will probably go with some of the foreign ones.

14. Danr

Danr Numismatist

2007 spouses are by far the best for this. .9999 gold and half oz (smaller gold coins are generally considered better than the large ones they bring a higher premium). They are pretty close to melt price. They have never "circulated" but they have numismatic potential.

15. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I haven't done those yet, but I have seen several right at spot on BST's

Draft saved Draft deleted