Reasonable Physical Silver Premiums

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by shimps1, Jul 7, 2021.

1. shimps1

shimps1 Member

I've gotten into silver bullion stacking, and I have been doing some research on premiums around the market. I am curious where everyone draws the line for their bullion purchases. Here's what I've seen:

Locally:
    1oz rounds: ~18.2% of spot ($33.07 per oz at $27.07 spot price)

Online:
    1oz rounds: ~13.5% of spot
    ASE: avg 33.5%, up to 37.5% lately
    10oz bars: ~15%
    1 kilo bars: 9-11%

What are you guys seeing, and at what premium do you feel comfortable adding to your stack? Do you look at it as a $ amount, or as a % of the spot price? I've only been in the game for a couple months, so I'm still trying to get my bearings.

Further, I know stackers typically don't sell, and I have no plans to, but what should I expect to be offered from a LCS if I was turn sell any bullion?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I buy numismatic silver, only. The premiums are WAY above my 25% target...so I just watch and wait. If spot prices breach the $40/Oz level, I may have to thin the herd.

fretboard and JPD3 like this.
  4. shimps1

shimps1 Member

I am curious, why would spot prices matter to numismatic silver?

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Not a good time to satisfy your stacking cravings. Just before Covid, dealers would beg me to take their ASE’s at spot. It has been a crazy fifteen months and all manner of insecurities have driven regular folks to silver and the cost right now is just beyond absurd. If you stack now, I believe you will be disappointed in 12-18 months. Things will normalize and when they do silver will be far more accessible.

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I agree, the premiums are just too high and since the spot price of Silver hasn't budged substantially for over a year, I would pass. When you buy Silver you want to think you'll be able to sell for more than you paid, I don't see that happening anytime soon. :D jmho

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I like to draw the line at $1 over spot for silver.
    Though I'll pay a little bit more for the cool factor.

8. rte

rte Well-Known Member

At the expense of giving out a trade secret...:p
    Look for alternative buying solutions, more like a private party seller.
    Same goes for selling.

I've been watching some YouTube videos on the bullion now dealer where he says they pay spot for G&S.

slackaction1 likes this.
  9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree as well. To me, the pm market is like the car market right now. If you buy at these prices you will pay for it in a year or two. Just too high of premiums. Historically I pay around melt for junk silver and common commems, maybe $1 over. I pay about $30 over for decent old gold.

Premiums will drift back down there when people calm down again. If you are paying $14 over for an ASE in the market, you just lost $11 since that will be the highest premium you will get for it in the future.

I wanted to buy a 2 year old minivan this year, but will hang onto the old one another year. They are up about 35-40% versus 2 years ago. I will wait. Buying today is simply locking in more guaranteed loss than normal in this market.

fretboard likes this.
  10. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

My pencil recently broke..LOL, simple pay the premium are dont buy, I am
    continuing stacking but you can only get the best possible price wants thats
    achieved your own your own.

Draft saved Draft deleted