Real Yen?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by OldSilverDollar, Sep 18, 2021.

1. OldSilverDollar

OldSilverDollar Unknown Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

I'm fairly certain the slab is fake. The label isn't right although other parts of the holder are close.

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Made Japan fresh and forgery perfection:woot::woot:not certain about the coin but highly likely the same.

OldSilverDollar and GH#75 like this.
  5. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

First time I have seen a listing with a slabbed coin out of the slab in the seller's photos. Old photo prior to grading?

OldSilverDollar and paddyman98 like this.
  6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I'd say the suspicion is likely well-placed here, though I lack the knowledge to outright condemn what I saw there.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/two-counterfeit-coins-in-counterfeit-pcgs-holders.362922/

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/chinese-starter-kit-for-fake-pcgs-holders.html

I've seen it (and done it, when there's been a crackout situation or some reason I felt it necessary to show a pre-slab image). But never without explanation. And usually if it's a crackout situation, the slab is no longer relevant so I don't show that (except maybe the removed label).

So yeah, this one smells fishy. Oftentimes the font is a giveaway on the fake PCGS slabs, but the difference is subtle, sometimes. I really can't tell, in the photos of this one.

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Well, the cert page is no help, since it's an older, pre-Secure Plus, pre-Gold Shield, non-imaged cert. Unsurprisingly, it does match up to the type and date of the coin.

OldSilverDollar and Evan Saltis like this.
  8. Sullykerry2

Sullykerry2 Humble Collector Willing to Learn

I collect Japanese coins as I lived there among other places. If this coin is real it ought to sell for around USD 450. I would want to know the weight as I have come across several Silver yen coins that are underweight by at least 0.5 grams. It is difficult to assess any wear marks without holding the coin. The PCGS holder doesn't pass as genuine. The seller doesn't have a track record on E-Bay before. I am skeptical.

OldSilverDollar and paddyman98 like this.
  9. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I am also skeptical. I'd want calipers and a scale on it, and the time to look up other ones that have photos. That slab looks super sketchy, the font looks all off but I am also not a student of slabs. Zero feedback seller and yup skeptical.

10. OldSilverDollar

OldSilverDollar Unknown Member

Thanks for everyone's help looks like a good deal too good to be true.

I never bought any Japanese coins before so I guess I'll need to be extra careful.

11. Sullykerry2

Sullykerry2 Humble Collector Willing to Learn

Feel free to make inquiries. Several of the comments in this thread come from knowledgeable Japanese coin collectors. Good luck with you collecting.

12. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

13. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I guess some people have a yen for fake coins....

Draft saved Draft deleted