RCM making silver ebay bars

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Tater, Jan 19, 2016.

1. thedredge

thedredge Active Member

Yes I was referring to the bars. I just kind of thought that being they were a U.S. company, would they not want to support the U.S. initiative of buy U.S. made?
    Why go to another country to have them made when you could have them made at home?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

Well "supposedly" U.S. mint is having a tough time keeping up demand with silver eagles. They were on allocation for a significant amount of time last year. Meaning say for a week Authorized purchasers requested 1.8 million eagles, but they tell them they can only produce 1 million. So every authorized purchaser would only get 55-60% of what they wanted for that week.

4. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Probably too much red tape. Where the Perth and RCM will mint anything for anyone. I mean the Canadians sneeze and poof a new commen is minted.

5. thedredge

thedredge Active Member

We Canadians have to live with this annoyance as well. It is impossible to collect one of everything that is put out in a year.
    You may IMG_20160122_085058.jpg enjoy the new U.S. fifty cent piece they are minting now though! lol

Tater likes this.
  6. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

Lol that was funny. Nice fifty cent piece.

thedredge likes this.
  7. jello_g

jello_g Senior Member

At the rate we're going, it won't be long before we need two loons to buy a US buck. Those ebay silver bars look so crappola. :-/

thedredge likes this.
  8. GANURSE

GANURSE New Member

I am confused and surprised by all the negitive bullion bashing going here. eBay is trying to make a play for expanding their bullion sales division and they are partnering with RCM and Bay Precious Metals..aka..Coins and Things... CNT is the largest bullion supplier in the USA and supplys half of the bullion sold to the US AND Canaidian Mints. So, nothing wrong there..RCM is a sovereign Mint and produces awesome qulity silver bullion.(the best actually) nothing wrong there either. We have all heard of counterfeit's on eBay and they want it to be known that these branded bars are 110% secure and beyond reproach. I think that's a great idea and I am all over it. I could give a rats ass if it has their name on it. Who knows, At least it's bullion with the possibility of being collectible. That's not why I would buy it but it was cheaper, .9999 fine silver, and it is serially numbered by a gov mint. If you are not buying the least expensive bullion with the highest metal content you can than you are missing the point of buying bullion. Bullion does not equal numismatics. You can print my house dead on coloring book paper as long as you give me a discount. Keep Stacking!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  9. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

What do you mean "make"? They buy the blanks for silver Eagles, and I believe also the gold for Buffalos. The last I heard, they were making the gold Eagle alloy themselves at West Point, but that was some years ago, in a Discovery channel program that predates digital TV. They're probably now buying those blanks too.

Hey, what did the blank say to the planchet?

"What's wrong? You look upset."

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Funny old joke kurt.. budum bump

@GANURSE, alot of us coin and bullion guys have a very bad taste in our mouths for what ebay let's get through on their auctions. Be it knowingly or unwittingly they should have a much much better system to ferret out counterfits, shills and nefarious sellers. Most of us hate ebay because of this and feel like we are being forced to use them because they have no technical equal. They act like a monopoly (because they are) and it's BS. A silver bar with the ebay logo, to most of us, will only remind us of our collective disdain for them every time we see it. I'd gladly pay a little more for a bar without the logo

And as for your 110% guarantee of authenticity, while being true now when they are fresh to the market sure, but just wait a month or so and you'll be seeing copper or tungsten core ebay bars on Chinese counterfit sites which will make their way to the states starting about a month after that and then.they will start showing up on ebay. See the vicious cycle here

silversiren likes this.
  11. V. Kurt Bellman

My dad once had a BMW motorcycle. Now THAT was one vicious cycle!

I guess I'm okay with eBay for two reasons:
    1) As a buyer, I am EXTREMELY picky as to who I do business with, and when I find one I like, I become a regular and establish a relationship.
    2) Since I've never yet sold on eBay, I have no dog in the fight regarding their moving of the goalposts and constantly taking more value from the seller.

Bellman's 2nd Law of the Internet: There is nothing on the Internet that cannot be corrupted faster than it was created.

By the way, Bellman's 2nd law goes double for anything regarding bullion buyers, who by their very nature are more trusting of even brand new random entrepreneurs than their own government, wherever they are.

12. GANURSE

GANURSE New Member

Trust me, I get it..ebay has issues and they know it. I think they are attempting to fix some of the negative issues and come into the market by using trusted players like Bay Metals(aka CNT) RCM. I will buy RCM bars all day with any logo from Bay Metals as long as they are a bargain. If the crooks were going to pick a bar to counterfeit, this would be one of the worst ones as the security features incorporated(known and not known) into the bars are tough, if not impossible to copy at a profit..I can't speak to the selling side of hating eBay. I don't sell bullion!!...:)

Keep Stacking!

13. V. Kurt Bellman

And I don't BUY non-numismatic bullion. More than one way to not get taken.

14. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Good point, yes they do seem to be at least trying to clean up their act. Weather they are doing enough though or not is TBD.

I guess you could put it this way (thanks for the motorcycle thought kurt)...

In the 70s Harley Davidson was owned by AMF and they drove the brand into the ground. No body wanted to be associated with AMF Harley anything. Then they sold it in 81 I think and slowly the brand was brought back to being the well respected juggernaut it is today. Now, to my point... with all the vintage this and vintage that hot trends of today, for the most part, do you ever see anyone really rocking AMF Harley's. It left a long lasting bad taste in the mouths of the die hards :)

All I'm saying is that ebay has a big hill to climb to regain the respect it once held

15. GANURSE

GANURSE New Member

Yes they do and it doesn't really matter anymore anyway..I only bought them because they were a bang up deal for bullion. Now that they are back at normal prices, I'm out..I always look for the best deals when I buy bullion and these were it. Back to my goto(Scottsdale Silver) now..

Keep Stacking!!

Cascade likes this.
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

Yeah ...., since I live and work only a stout tailwind stone's throw from the Harley plant in York, PA, your analysis doesn't apply here. Harleys are hot, hot, hot in central PA!

Central PA and Asia, that is.

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Haha. You know what they say. Location, location, location :hilarious:

...even AMF Harley's though? :confused:

18. V. Kurt Bellman

Maybe even more so. Nostalgia for the older stuff. Then they all ride down to the bowling alley and throw balls at pins in an AMF-equipped place.

Cascade likes this.
  19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Buyers are actually directly impacted by that as well through higher prices and a smaller inventory selection to look through. The large sellers can absorb those fees but it does not take long on any forum to start seeing the numerous sellers that have decided ebay is not worth the cost and risk anymore. Hopefully one day ebay will realize that coins should not have the same policies as used clothing and the one sized fits all approach to policies is not the best course of action.

Cascade likes this.
  20. V. Kurt Bellman

Sho' 'nuff.

21. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

The big precious metals sellers on Ebay pay somewhere between little to nothing in fees. I've heard 1% but I believe its probably even lower than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted