Quitting smoking....more money to buy Bullion!!!

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Dec 15, 2016.

1. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

I never smoked but was around friends who did and watch them struggle but finally kick it after several times quitting .... and falling off wagon. It really must be hard to quit... Seems like every time alcohol was involved they would give in for just one and then it was over.... GOOD JOB B-MAN.... I DONT DRINK but a case beer a week and not quitting anytime soon......

Bman33 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

Good For You Bud!!! Me on the other hand well I have had a few life changing situations lately and have been hitting the little cigars hard, Hoping things turn around and I can get back on track!!

Bman33 likes this.
  4. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

Bullion to me is useless...I much prefer the hard rock cafe badges...At least they are memories from places i have been to...Gold in any form or shape will always be the same...

5. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

Everytime you want to have a smoke, place 50c in a jar...You will be amazed ( if you are honest with yourself ) how much money will be in the jar at the end of one year..
    25c will represent the cigarette you would have smoked, and the other 25c will be for the gas going to the store to buy them...Thats how i came to the 50c value

6. rrholdout

rrholdout Active Member

Any more updates? Almost the 1 year mark.

Bman33 likes this.
  7. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

12/20/2016 is my quit date! One more month for that anniversary. Still going strong. My girlfriend quit the same day as me and that is also her birthday. She is going strong too.

8. rrholdout

rrholdout Active Member

Awesome! Too bad we can't get up a 'Silver helped me quit smoking' ad.

-jeffB, Youngcoin and Bman33 like this.
  9. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that would be great. I'm still using that extra money for silver and coins.

10. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Great for you!

Thanks,
    Jacob

11. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

Good on you! Silver stacking is fun anyway.. :)

12. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

I quit smoking as part of a bet with some guys I work with. I wasn't a heavy smoker, maybe a pack every 2-3 days. The bet was no smoking, but you could dip - so I bought a few tins to take the edge off. I never cared much for the stuff.

That was the worst thing I ever did. For years now I have had a raging dip habit . Because a good lipper can last 30 minutes or more, my body craves it ALL THE TIME. Knock on wood I haven't had any health issues (that I know of), but I need to stop. I just don't think I can handle the withdrawals.

I think I could have kicked the cigs, but this habit is way worse.

13. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

There is hope. I was dipping a can a day at work and smoking when I was home. I was able to kick both at the same time. The withdrawals will go away.

mill rat41 likes this.
  14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Great job. I can't imagine how difficult it must be, but keep it up. I'm pulling for you

15. losthomer

losthomer Active Member

While not on the same level as tobacco, I quit caffeine (liquid at least) while i was sick and feeling miserable. I figured I'm not going to feel any worse over the next few days. Cudos to those that have kicked habits.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Bman33 likes this.
  16. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to get off caffeine too or at least coffee. I heard green tea is good for you though.

17. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Most people will get stomach aches if they drink green tea first thing in the morning without food. So, if you're a first-thing-in-morning-coffee-drinker, it's going to be difficult.

Caffeine is good for you. But if you're drinking more than a few cups of coffee per day, it's really not. Try to cut down until you "need" only a single cup in a day.

18. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

What is dip???

19. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

20. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

I was brought up on tea as a kid and all my family is from London UK. I only drank tea made from loose leaves as tea bags are useless and weak... When i tried the perculated thick lebanese coffee in Israel in 1975, i was hooked...I bought myself a perculator when i got back home to Australia which is the type that screws together and never bought the beans ground. The water is placed in the bottom and when it heats, it goes through the filter ONCE , that has the beans and rises into a chamber at the top..I bought a grinder and ground the beans as i used them...The unground beans still whole i placed in the freezer to keep all the freshness...Then i married into an italian family ( worst mistake ever ) and with the coffee they made, the spoon stood up in the cup... I later changed that to a mug and had one every night before bed. I got so immune to it, the coffee was like a sleeping pill...It has been since 5th June 1999 at 7.31pm since i have been in the matramonial but still have the coffee...I would say my blood in now thick and black like the coffee lololol.... Smoking was another story... I was in hospital and naturally one could not smoke so i had some chewing gum...When i was released and went home, i never wanted another cigarette so everytime i wanted to smoke, i simply placed 50c into a jar and at the end of the year in 2000 , i went on a cruise to the great barrier reef in Australia...that is how much money i saved...I now do that every year with the 50c when i want a smoke....Nowadays i use the money ( instead of cruising ) once a year in November to add to my hard rock cafe pin collection, stamp and coin collection and miniature alcohol bottle collections. Jagermeister l put in the coffee and is wonderful.Llast year i bought 8 x $20 gold USA double eagle coins less than bullion at a coin show from a dealer that had a bad time there in sales. I took out the cash to show him i was not kidding and fanned it out on his table and asked him do you want to sell or not???
    That money was from the cigarettes i did not smoke and the 50c deposits into the jars. I only buy the coins to melt in the future and then use that money to increase my collections as kids these days have no interest in numismatics... Before i sell the coins, i scratch them so they are taken out of the market and definately get melted so grade means nothing to me.. I know as a long time collector of coins, stamps, badges, medals etc, this is not the correct thing to do but if our children have no interest, we have to use the money to help ourselves and let the kids fend for themselves. There is a lot of 2 faced people in this world that will disagree with me but in the reality of things , they will do the same.... They like to be tough on the outside...In Australia where i am originally from, the first amendment rights does not exist... I love that amendment as it can allow people to say as they please...There are some screwed up people that do not agree with me in here but deep down they do...They just like themselves to look good. As a retired stamp and coin dealer for over 40 years, i have seen a lot. The most repetitive thing i have seen is people trying to screw dealers for the best price possible...it was done to me at a show i attended and i offered a couple over au$2500.00 for their collection including all the junk ( which not many dealers buy ) .. They declined the offer and then started hawking it around the room... They came back to my table in an hour or so and asked if my offer was still ok...I said you have been showing to other people and how do i know you have not sold pieces out of it.... I looked through it again and said no..i dont want it. That taught me a good lesson and i applied it to my business practices for the rest of my entire business career. If a person refused to sell at the start, then they dont want to sell at all.
    Q If a person wants to know how much something is worth, i know answer as follows:
    A It depends on how much one is willing to pay for it as that is the items worth.

To the average collector i had a sign made and had it in my shop and proved it to be correct on many occassions...

The sign stated as follows:
    We will give 75% discount on any item in
    this store to all customers 75 years of age
    or over accompanied by both grandparents.
    That = 1% for every year of their age.

Just remember that if a collector goes into a shop and asks the shopkeeper what the best thing he or she has, the correct and exact reply should be the last item he or she sold as they have the money now. it does not matter what price it is.
    The same goes for any shop or store in the world.

..I applied this when i was in business and that is how i retired under 55 years of age. Too many dealers and collectors are greedy and want more but they dont realize that it is the future generations that may take it all over.... I cannot see that happening but i could be proven wrong... I am now 60 years of age and did not complete school. I am living proof that the high school diploma is not
    necessary in reality.

I can only speak for where i grew up but the average collector is a parasite and only looks at the price.... Personally try to stay to one dealer and that way i know i will be looked after...A way of making huge money at any collectors shows of collectibles such as coins , medals, stamps etc etc etc is having everything on your table $1 each or any 12 items for $10.00..I did this constantly and it really works but the average dealer does not abide by the word discount. Other dealers in the room dont like it as it is undercutting them. However the customers do and one has to make it inviting to have the buyers at their tables or stalls.

I completely disaprove of the pre printed stickers the USPS prints out of the machine after weighing the package so that is why i place actual postage stamps on all my packages to keep the hobby of stamp collecting still alive...On top of that as kids dont want stamps anymore, i have to use them to their maximum potential as they really are another form of cash. Dealers buying price on unused mint stamps used to be 50% in Australia prior to August 2011...As i have been out of it for over 6 years now, i would say the dealers buying price has declined some more. I used to buy my inused Australian stamps at 60% just to make sure
    i got them as i knew i could onsell them at 80% and both parties would win. I made 20% on my outlay and the customer made 20% on theirs and everyone was happy.

I have a feeling that coin talk will take down this as it is not what they wanted to hear or read but to the few people that did manage to read it, i wish you a lot of luck in the future with all forms on philatelics and numismatics.

lastly , have a nice day everyone...OIO

21. coinsareus10

coinsareus10 Well-Known Member

I think I just read a novel.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted