Quitting smoking....more money to buy Bullion!!!

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Dec 15, 2016.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It's the way we're built. I never got hooked by cigarettes, but I'll be battling with food until they put me in the ground. :rolleyes:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

I started smoking when I was 13, smoked through high school, smoked through college, then smoked my last cigarette on the night before I got married. On Feb. 1, 2017, I will have been a nonsmoker for 53 years! In my opinion, the best way to quit is just to stop--cold turkey. Throw any packs you have away, and don't buy another cancer stick. Your breath and your lungs will thank you for it, as will your heart and many other organs in your body. As for drinking, I recommend one 5-oz glass of red wine a day for health purposes. Of course, if you're an alcoholic, then you've got to cut that out, also. Good luck.

eddiespin likes this.
  4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Ouch! I quit over 10 years ago but I used the patches. I agree with you about quitting cold turkey, but most can't and I couldn't either. The patches were a God send for me.

5. goldcollector

goldcollector Member

fretboard got any gold for sale somewhat close to spot

6. chridular

chridular Member

Well, as far as getting comfortable with gold, it's just a matter of doing what you have been doing with silver. At this point, though, look through the charts over the past few years to see what has been going on so that you know where it currently lies in relation. AND read financial news articles that mention gold... NOT for the opinions on whether you should buy now, but just to see what people are saying about it's trends. $65 an an ounce over spot is in the ballpark, but I have seen that it depends on the piece you're getting. The dealers I talk to sell things like maples and Kruggerands for 40 to 50 over while AGEs are 50 to 60 over. Shop around and see what kind of premiums your local dealers are charging.

Nathan401 and Bman33 like this.
  7. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Buffalo from Apmex, $41 over spot

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECIAL-PRICE-2016-1-oz-Gold-American-Buffalo-Coin-Brilliant-Uncirculated/121859171597?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=38530&meid=6a620bd6387a49a1bf34cf4ca9c6e14d&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=161846079833

Personally, I see gold dipping/going below $1,100 soon, though. Then again, what do I know. Don't see silver going below $14 anytime soon, or much above $18, barring any dramatic event or economic news. I'll be looking for a deal on some silver soon, I hope. I like shiny things, lol, plus I need to start stocking up for my gift giving in 2017. I may be predictable, but I never hear anyone say "Aw, silver? AGAIN?".

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Bman33 likes this.
  8. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Quit on December 20th and still have not had a cigarette or chew. I switched from patches to gum because the patches were making me sick. The gum gives me the hick ups and I only do 3-4 a day (4mg). I am stopping the gum on Tuesday as that will be 3 weeks and I heard that's the amount of time it takes to break a habit. I know I will have to go through yet another withdrawal phase though so I am hanging tough. I paid $100 on patches and gum but did manage to celebrate by buying a roll of dimes for 13xFace yesterday. Anyways, here's to health and wealth!

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Gum gave me hiccups too. I found that by not swallowing so often then I could keep them off.

You're doing great!

Bman33 likes this.
  10. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Hang tough, my man. You are already through the woods!!

Bman33 likes this.
  11. carpman98

carpman98 Active Member

The key to quitting smoking is that you have to really WANT to do it. It's not easy for a lot of people, but if you go back to it, then you really did not want to quit badly enough. There is no easy way, contrary to what commercial advertising may tell you. I had my last cigarette on New Year's Eve, Dec. 31, 1994 after 35 years of smoking since I was a teen. It was the best life choice that I have ever made. One thing you will notice is how badly smokers stink after they have had a cigarette, when they are around you.

coinsareus10, Nathan401 and Bman33 like this.
  12. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

My father quit cold turkey in 1999 after 55 years of smoking, and a lot of those years were two packs a day of the non-filtered variety. He's 91 now. He was an avid coin collector, and got me into it. We used to go to the Sam Sloat coin shop in Westport, CT in the mid-1960's - lots of fun and great memories.

Gilbert likes this.
  13. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

to survive that long after all that smoking, he is EXTREMELY lucky.

carpman98 likes this.
  14. GoldBug999

You sir, are funny!

15. GoldBug999

You are right - he is lucky, but also suffering from the smoking - kidney cancer took one kidney, he now has cancer in his right lung. A lesson to all - just don't start!

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  16. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Your doing well Bman33. Doesn't ex-slavery feel great? :) Not paying cigarette taxes to pay for make believe causes feels even better.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Bman33 likes this.
  17. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Active Member

Smoking takes over your lungs so basically it takes over your life.
    I have a hard time trying to get along with smokers at work because they complain about me and everything else because of their habit. A single pack of cigs costs like 7.00-8.00 a piece I tried them out in the 90s but never got hooked. For every two packs you could buy one ounce of silver.

If you can't quit I would try Chantex or something to get you unhooked plus you won't have a sour mouth anymore =)

I want to try Vaping sometime though just for kicks.

18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Still seems like a bad bet to me. Nicotine is addictive, regardless of how you deliver it and whether or not it's damaging your health. Why go looking for addiction?

19. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Google Philadelphia soda tax. It shouldn't take long before states and cities start on vaping and ecigs; if they're not already.

20. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

I think I'm done with the nicorette too now. It's making me sick. Starting tomorrow no nicotine in any form at all. On a side note I heard vaping and ecigarretes cause fungus in your lungs because of the extra moisture you slam in there.

chridular likes this.
  21. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

good, soda is poison too

Draft saved Draft deleted