Quitting smoking....more money to buy Bullion!!!

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Bman33, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

So my girlfriend and I are quitting smoking on December 20th, her birthday. With the extra money we will have, about $200.00 each, we decided to buy silver with it. Stacking silver instead of ruining our health sounds great!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

Congrats! I quit smoking 3 years ago next month. I know you can kick it forever too!

JMGallego, Greg Smith, -jeffB and 2 others like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

After more than 55 years of smoking. I quit "cold turkey" on September 26, 2014. I also quit drinking alcohol and coffee, both of which I enjoyed while smoking. If I can do it, I'm sure you can. Good luck!

Chris

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

JMGallego and Bman33 like this.
  6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I quit 5/2008 after 45 years, but it was not soon enough. Spent 7/2009 in the hospital recovering from taking the lung lobe and its cancer out.

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I quit smoking too. Best way is cold turkey. First couple days are the hardest then it gets easier but the cravings will not completely go away. Every now and again I've thought to myself, "I kind of miss smoking."

Then I think, "Nope. I'm good."

8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

I quit 10 years ago after 33 years, my sense of smell is now amazing.
    My Dad quit 60 years ago and he`s going on 96.

9. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

I smoked for awhile,but quit,going on about 5 years now,also as mentioned cold turkey is the best. First week is the hardest,after that it just gets easier and easier. If you really stick with it you will feel like you are letting yourself down if you go to try and pick up another one. Although when I did quit,i coughed worst than when I smoked,lungs clearing up all the bad stuff. Now if I can only stop smoking pot lol.

10. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I quit cold turkey 24 years ago, actually the first couple of months were a bit challenging and I nearly caved in a couple of times(bought the ciggies, then crumpled them) I am pretty much against addictions of any sort so I don't miss smoking and do appreciate having the dosh to spend on numismatic or model train treasures.

11. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

I quit smoking pot two hours ago, now I need to stop smoking oil and hash.

coinsareus10, Garlicus and Jdiablo30 like this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Yes, it does!. Be successful together. :)

Bman33 likes this.
  13. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

That is awesome man, 96!

To all the rest who posted in this thread thanks for the well wishes. This is a huge deal both health and financially.

14. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Quit in February, 2003. Best thing I ever did. Took 6 weeks before I was not automatically reaching in my pocket for a cigarette, but after that 6 weeks it was great. Have had two times where an urge has come to me so bad, but walking and saying no for 15 minutes has cured each of those. I do have to now keep away from smokers, because I can get triggered, and if I have to pass someone who is smoking it means I am entering the "no breathing zone" (holding my breath for the time it takes to pass and get away from them).

asheland, mikenoodle, Gilbert and 2 others like this.
  15. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Last cigarette I ever smoked was father's day 2008. I had quit cold turkey in February, 2008 but I had that single last smoke while fishing with my father in law. Once you get past the first couple days its mostly a mental thing. My advice is just try and remember that each craving will get less intense and shorten in duration after every time one occurs. Much like @Kasia stated I also found myself reaching in my pocket sometimes for a smoke even a couple weeks after I had quit mostly when I'd get stressed out. Best of luck and it can be done just stick with it and support each other.

Clawcoins and Bman33 like this.
  16. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

I quite after thirty-something years when my doctor told me, "if you don't take your health seriously, don't expect me to." It has been fifteen years since then and I never looked back. And congratulations to the other posters for also quitting. Pat yourselves on the back! :smug:

17. SilverTracker

SilverTracker Well-Known Member

Excellent Move B-Man.

Bman33 likes this.
  18. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Also, you may want to set up a big reward for yourself when you have quit. I took my daughter to Florida for a long weekend (crossing the country for me, and meeting with her half-way across to switch my plane). The cost of the trip was about what I saved between quitting and that point (yeah, I kind of smoked a lot) and was a wonderful way to let me know that instead of me 'giving' my money to the tobacco companies (and basically their CEO, who made beau coups moo-la off me and others), I would give it to me in the form of a girls weekend out and vacation that I could not otherwise have afforded). It made a big impression on me to know that the money I was saving was not a pittance and now, nearly 14 years on, I have probably had at least 40,000 dollars more 'money' (or been able to live on that amount less) at my disposal for both necessary and luxury items. At the time I quit, I think I was paying between 4-5 dollars a pack, and smoking two or more a day at times. It was constant from the moment I woke up in the morning until I went to bed. I was a wreck if I had to go more than an hour or so without, and that in itself is ridiculous. I had quit about 15 years earlier for 3-1/2 years, but during a really stressful time when I was also around a bunch of other smokers, I picked it up again. Thought I could smoke maybe a cigarette or two. Within a week, I was over a pack a day and could not put it down. I figured at that point, that I basically am a nicotine 'addict' and therefore when I stopped again, I would never be able to have even one (which is why I also avoid other people smoking, etc.). It took over 10 more years of smoking again to do the quitting thing. I hate that I probably had spent a good 5-6 dollars a day for my habit during those 10+years.

Not only that, but I no longer have to run up to the store, no matter what or what weather, to pick up a pack, and I do not have to sneak out while visiting friends or family to have a smoke (or be ostracized for being a smoker, because people can smell it on you).

And what got me started was on and off smoking between age 11-18, being cool, etc. (cigarettes could be had from between .15 and .50 cents a pack then). From age 19 on it was really not good, rarely smoked less than a pack-1/2 a day. Unfortunately I never as an adult (until I quit) realized that people really could go without smoking and enjoy life without it.

19. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Well, today is the last day of smoking! I will celebrate tomorrow with 20oz of Prospector Rounds. I am going to do the patch though. I have had several failed attempts with cold turkey.

Marvin-, Kasia and Santinidollar like this.
  20. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I quit drinking on March 19, 2015 and haven't had a sip since.

Now, smoking is next. I'm using the nicotine gum, a foul-tasting concoction that has enabled me to cut back sharply. By Jan. 1, I am aiming to quit entirely.

Here in Louisiana, there was a suit against Big Tobacco that resulted in a trust fund paying for professional group counseling, support groups and nicotine substitutes. I'm taking advantage of all.

FryDaddyJr, Gilbert and Bman33 like this.
  21. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

That's Awesome Santini. I quit drinking 11 1/2 years ago. Nictotine is the final battle!

Draft saved Draft deleted