Question: Learning Latin. How Important in the Study of Numismatics?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Bart9349, Feb 2, 2014.

?

Level of Latin Understanding

1. Don't know any. Don't care.

12.5%
  2. Only know how to read basic coin inscriptions.

37.5%
  3. Working to master basic Latin 101.

18.8%
  4. Mastered basic Latin 101. May have forgotten some.

25.0%
  5. Solid knowledge of Latin.

6.3%
  6. Exceptional knowledge. Legio Caesaris calling?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

Obviously, anyone who studies ancient Roman coins quickly realizes the importance of knowing at least the most basic Latin when reading coin inscriptions.

I wrote a thread a few years back about the usefulness of knowing Latin when deciphering the RSR in the exergue of the Carausius coin, for example:

http://www.cointalk.com/threads/carausius-and-rsr-in-the-exergue.191528/

carausius wolf.jpg Carausius.jpg

(Not my coins)

Surprisingly at times, however, it is just as important to know Latin when studying more modern commemorative medals. Here's a Jacobite medal from the early 1700s:

http://www.cointalk.com/threads/something-for-jacobites-and-early-brit-fans.228675/

Princejameso.jpg Princejamesr (2).jpg

(Yep, mine)

These are a few of the many numismatic examples (as well as countless references found in ancient Roman and more modern literature and scholarship) that have inspired me to improve my grasp of Latin.

Learning a language offers deeper insight and understanding of any culture. For example, I am always amazed that the one word “bella” has two very surprisingly different meanings in Latin: beautiful and wars. I think this example gives an insight into a rich but militaristic culture where one word could mean such shockingly different things.

My question: Latin is no longer routinely taught in schools. What proficiency in Latin do others have at this site? I am working hard in learning basic conjugations of verbs and declensions of nouns and adjectives in Latin. Unfortunately, my old brain has ossified and the learning comes slowly. Anyone else have experience, opinion, or advice with this daunting task and how it relates to the study of numismatics?

guy

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    chrsmat71 and chrisild like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I started learning Latin at a very early age because of my religious upbringing. And I studied it in school as well. Back then I could read the original Caesar quite well. But that was over 40 years ago, and like anything, lack of usage leads to forgetfulness. Oh I can still remember a lot of the basic stuff like declinations and conjugations for some nouns and verbs, but that's about it. I could no more read Latin today than I could Chinese !

But when it comes to coins there's really not all that much that you have to know. So I can still read the legends on most, don't know about a lot of ancients as I have zero familiarity with them. But medieval and later, I can hold my own in most cases. 'Course the hard part with a lot of medieval coins, and I assume the case would be the same with ancients, is often deciphering what letters are actually there because of clipping, bad strikes, etc. But if you have any familiarity with the coinage you pretty much know what the legends are anyway in most cases.

And that serves pretty well because just about all coins, at least European coins, (excepting some moderns) have Latin legends.

Forgot to mention, if you have trouble translating a Latin word or phrase, this works pretty well - http://translate.google.com/

chrsmat71 likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I took two years of Latin in high school, but it has very little use for me today except in crossword puzzles. Why bother to take a formal course of this bygone language solely for the purpose of deciphering the legends on coins? It's not like you're attempting to read historical and/or papal documents. You can find all the translation help you need on the internet.

Chris

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I only know enough to read some legends on coins. It was never offered in my high school, but then again my school was ghetto and I doubt your local gang member is gonna wanna impress his buds by speaking latin.

Part of me wants to learn more of it but like Chris mentioned, it's online.

CoinMike747 likes this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I once knew basic Latin, but have probably forgotten more than I've retained. I can at least read the inscriptions plus some.

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Latin was my college major (Greek minor). My intent was to teach ancient history on the college level but there was that draft problem and by the time I got out of the Army, all that remained was the ancient coin hobby. I never went back to grad school.

Latin is taught in schools - at least good schools. My 6th grade grandson is taking Latin I in public school. 7-10 years ago, I gave coin programs at some high schools for a group called Ancient coins for Education which supports the idea of Latin in the schools. One of my schools was Collegiate School in Richmond VA which is the alma mater of the Sea Hawks quarterback.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Wilson
    He would have been in the school when I was there but I don't know if he took Latin so I don't know if I met him. They had a lot of kids in Latin but I only met the advanced classes. I met a couple kids back in that day that were in 7th year Latin (which was really independent study since there was never more than two in a year beyond Latin IV). I never really liked the language but it came in handy for studying ancient history which I loved and majoring in it got me out of having to take all those modern history classes that a History major required.

I remain of the opinion that a high school background in Latin will come in handy when students are taking the College Boards. The vocabulary built in Latin conveys to English. For math, you are on your own. Even multiplying in Roman numerals is a bear.

chrsmat71 likes this.
  8. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I wouldn't say an understanding of Latin was essential to coin collecting, but often useful - not so much for the Roman coins as the European ones until quite recently.
    I would also say Latin is a useful language in many other aspects of life - not only does it give you an intro into a great many other European languages, and around half the technical terms in use in any scientific context, but it also increases ones understanding of Grammar and word construction.
    In the UK Latin is still taught in many private schools, and in recent years has made a comeback in some government run academies. I am glad I have a little Latin (though I hated it at school) and I hope it continues to be taught.

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

By the way, the adjective "bellus" and the noun "bellum" have different roots. So the fact that the two words look similar does not mean that much. ;)

Latin was my first foreign language. And I agree with what Paddy wrote - hated it first, later I discovered how useful it was. Today I would have a hard time translating a Latin text though. Also, the Latin used in the Middle Ages and (early) modern times was somewhat different from ancient Roman Latin. And to make things worse, many older coins have lots of Latin abbreviations that you understand only if you know Latin and quite a bit about the background.

When it comes to the coins that I am primarily interested in, however, Latin is pretty much useless. Mostly European and North American from the past (very roughly) 50 to 100 years ...

Christian

10. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

wish i would have taken some, didn't have an opportunity when in HS...and probably would have cared to at the time if i did. but would have made science and medical terminology much easier, along with greek.

like why are pons and the hippocampus called what they are? why is the symbol for sodium Na when carbon is just a plain old C?

i can ID words (especially if science related), that's about it. i think coin collecting has increased my interest in greek and latin, at least in terms of etymology.

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

And I bet you got him to autograph a book for you. : - )

vlaha likes this.
  12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The hippocampus is called hippocampus because it looks like one. And sodium is "Na" because it is actually :p called natrium ...

Here in Germany some knowledge of Latin is usually required if you want to study archaeology or history for example. But if there is such a requirement, you can take courses while studying.

Christian

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

LOL !!

Gonna getcha for that !! :D

Kentucky likes this.
  14. Kentucky

Actually I went to high school in Kentucky when there were 48 states and KY was 47/48 for education...Arkansas was 48 and Bill Clinton was in high school there. The only "foreign" language offered was Latin, and mostly because they had an English teacher who had taken some Latin in college. I took 2 years and kind of enjoyed it. "Latin is a language as dead as it can be, First it killed the Romans and now it's killing me."

vlaha, TIF and chrsmat71 like this.
  15. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

I kind of like the thought of a gang member saying...
    munus a cap in asino
    which auto translate tells me is 'pop a cap edited, but its undoubtedly a mistranslation....mind you, i dont imagine the guy it was aimed at would expect him to conjugate the verb.:D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
  16. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I always like the line from a genuine Latin text: "Caesar adsum iam forte, Pompeii aderat" usually read by school boys as "Caesar had some jam for tea, Pompeii had a rat".

Kentucky likes this.
  17. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I gave myself "Solid knowledge of Latin," having gotten to the 300s in college. But then again, I've forgotten so much it might be better to say that I mastered 101 and forgot some. I get some practice now and then at work, and the main reference for what I collect is in Latin.

While I have found no direct numismatic benefit from it, the language helps you out in tons of small ways. They say that you never really understand English until you try to learn Latin.

18. Kentucky

I remember for Latin class we could collect examples of Latin for extra credit, and my best find was a Pall Mall pack which had two Latin mottos - Per aspera ad astra and In hoc signo vinces, meaning respectively - To the stars through difficulties and In this sign will you conquer.

Bing likes this.
  19. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

May I borrow one of these for my motto?

20. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

We always see this given for that motto but the coins express the sentiment, "HOC SIGNO VICTOR ERIS" which means the same thing.
    rx6500bb1032.jpg rx7170bb1265.jpg
    It is, IMHO, wrong to call the first of these an issue of Vetranio. The second - OK.

vlaha likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted