Question for the Experts on the 2009 Dbl. Eagle

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Brian Calvert, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

A pricing question.
    On the Apmex site, they offer a gold label 2009 Ultra high relief MS-70 PL for $2845.00
    and Same coin, MS-70 (Not PL) but first strike for $2995.00

How can a First Strike be worth more than a PL ? $150.00 more for the first strike over the PL... With that question, does this work with all modern coins ? A first strike is worth more. Obviously something new, that isn't the case, as the 2015 High Relief PL is going for 5 -6K vs 2K for the first strike, NOW... Thus, the PL ends up falling ? I guess that would depend on total amount found...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SPC CENTS

SPC CENTS Hammering slabs

In my opinon "First Strike" is a contrived and meaningless term created by the TPG in an attempt to set it apart from other coins. A coin will "earn" the First Strike label if it is among the first to be submitted to the TPG. Neither the sender, nor the grader, have any idea which coin was struck before another. This is a clear example of buy the coin, not the label.

-jeffB and mikenoodle like this.
  4. Mike Drop

Mike Drop Active Member

Oh, I always thought First Strike was coins that TPGs bought from directly from the mint to resell. OOPS

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

First Strike means when you buy two more dumb contrived things, you're out. Of course, arguably if you're buying PCGS stuff, the only company that markets the First Strike lie, you're already at Strike Two.

Time to "choke up" and try to foul off a few.

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Ah but in this game you're out there on Pluto on this first strike, you're falling for that...

7. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

[​IMG]

"Juuuuuust a bit outside. He went for the corner and he missed it."

eddiespin likes this.
  8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

In the last 6 months the prices for the 2009s have been slowly going down.
    The raw OGP coin has dropped from $1995 down to $1695 a few weeks ago on a sale at APMEX, now at $1745.

The slabbed ones seem to be following the same reduction over time. I've seen the $7k+ ones slowly reduce. This is irrelevant of the Gold Spot Price variations. The 2009s seem to be at a slowly reducing fixed price as it gets closer and closer to spot over time.

I also don't understand the First Strike "wow" factor.
    Some coins that all get sold out on the first day technically are all "first strike" but only the ones sent in their shipping boxes are considered "first strike". Go figure ?

I'm not one to buy a specific 70 or 69 either, so I don't follow those mantras too often. But for those looking for something different from the normal 70 the First Strike is a slight variation. But on a higher demand market that may make a difference. On a weaker demand market that may not mean anything at all.

I nearly bought another 2009 at $1695 but bought a OGP 2016 SLQ instead. But sooner or later again. :)

Call APMEX and ask them the buyback price of the PL vs First Strike. See if they think there's a difference.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Ball four, take your base...

10. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

As opposed to what NGC's Early Release (what was early about it?) or how about their first release and the other issues. Or ANACS and their numerous versions. I don't have a problem with any of their labels just when people's bias make silly comments like only one company is doing it like that

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

PL is for real. First Strike is horse manure.

Draft saved Draft deleted