Question for dealers (especially) sterling silver

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Jan 25, 2019.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

This question is for anyone, but especially for those who buy from customers. What do you pay for sterling silver?

Sellers, what has been your experience?

Do you get 75% of spot, 80%, 9O%, all of spot?

There were lots of government-issued sterling coins issued until the 90s with no numismatic value. What should I expect to lose off spot when selling?

Thanks all.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

In my experience, we always pay around 80% of Spot for scrap Sterling at the shop I work at in Dallas.

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, it surprises people that you get substantially less money for 92.5%-pure sterling than for 90%-pure junk silver, but that's the truth.

As I've seen it explained, coin silver is easier to refine because it's always 10% copper, but that 7.5% of sterling can be all kinds of different stuff -- and coin silver often doesn't get refined at all, which is even cheaper. It just gets sold on as 90% coin.

5. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It depends on what the object is . Coins~ 80% sounds a little higher than I have seen. Spoons, candle sticks , tea sets, mirrors, etc. are often 50% or less to adjust for refiner/and other costs for a better resell object. Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted