Question for collectors of both bullion and numismatic coins

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by 68KennedyHalf, Nov 9, 2018.

1. 68KennedyHalf

68KennedyHalf Junior Member

I'm new to stacking, but I've been a numismatic collector for several years. Stacking bullion is changing my perception of some of the lesser silver coins in my collection.

I have a date set of Barber and Standing Liberty quarters, which I keep in a Dansco generic "Quarters" album. Some of them are in are in F-VF, but most are in G-VG condition. I certainly never confused them for highly valuable coins.

But now that I've been reading about bullion stacking and getting accustomed to the terminology, etc., I feel like they should just be part of a "junk silver" stash, rather than being stored in an album.

So I've started a program of upgrading, with a goal of nothing less than VF. It's not going to be cheap, so I know there will be times when some of my stacking budget will be diverted to my Barbers and SLQs.

Has anyone else run into this dilemma? As a bullion stacker, have you found yourself re-evaluating some of the lesser coins in your numismatic collection?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 68KennedyHalf

Yep, it's just me. Never mind. :sorry:

4. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I did the same thing. Ended up just taking them out of the albums and storing them in tubes for Barbers and seated libs. I'm never going to complete the set so why bother. Standing libs, mercs, and walkers I keep in albums though. It's easier to find presentable examples for melt.

68KennedyHalf likes this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I also did the same thing. Even spent a lot of money trying to upgrade to VF-EF. Over time, I was still not happy and felt I could spend that same money on something better.
    I put the albums away and gave up the idea of building complete sets. Instead of buying a few lower grade coins, I would buy one really nice example. Over time, I built really nice groups of coins.

6. 2011steeny

2011steeny Member

I noticed that in the opening statement of your conversation, you said that you were new to stacking, but you were a numismatic collector for several years.

Numismatics, is about the study of coins, their history, value, design, material composition, and condition.

Stacking, is simply the practice of getting as much of the same type precious metal, (PM), items to hold, until there is a good time to sell it as melt/scrap.

I guess someone can be both, a stacker, and a numismatic collector, but it would be pretty difficult to be a numismatist, and a stacker.

When coins are purchased for the purpose of making a particular set, whether that is a certain type set, date set, mint mark set, error set, design set, TYPE set, or PM only set.
    Most of the people building those sets, are going to try and get the very best examples, they can afford, for that particular set. Cull's, are generally not purchased, for use in building sets, unless there are no better examples available. Generally, numismatist's, don't purchase more than one, of a "same type", particular coin, (face value, mint mark, design, etc.), for their set. If they do end up with more than one, of the same type, they would rather, it go to another numismatist, then sold as melt/scrap. Therefore, it would be very difficult for a numismatist to be a stacker.

A numismatist, generally knows what they have, and the condition it's in. If they do, come across a better example, of what they have, it's within their budget, and they want to get it, they generally will. The item removed, in most every case though, would go to another numismatist, that needs one, and not held for a higher PM price.

7. 68KennedyHalf

I bought what I felt I could afford at the time, with the intention of building the sets in about a year. My thought was that if I paid up to build VF-EF year sets, it would take me twice that amount of time, at least.

Now I'm realizing that I would prefer VF-EF sets, and I don't believe there will be significant demand for the G-VG pieces I have. I suppose I could sell a number of them as a lot on eBay, and take whatever modest return they bring, but I'd have no idea if a numismatist would be the buyer.

I just thought I'd see if others found themselves with the same dilemma, and it seems a few have.

There's a reason I posted my query in the Bullion forum, rather than a purely numismatic one.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If you have a complete date set in an album and you want to upgrade I would just buy another album and buy the grade you want to fill it.

longarm and 68KennedyHalf like this.
  9. 68KennedyHalf

You know -- this is a good idea. It was never my intention to melt them, or send them somewhere they would be melted. I just wasn't sure that they would have much value, and knew I wanted to upgrade.

So, I'll get a blank binder and a couple of 24mm/Quarters pages.

10. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Always remember almost no lower grade silver coins get melted. It is simply shorthand for bullion value only. Back in the 80's, junk silver sold at a steep enough discount to actually facilitate real melting of low value coins. However, since then, they sell for too much to actually make a profit melting them unless severely damaged, etc. If silver is $15, you have to pay the smelter, account for wear loss, etc. You need to buy junk silver at a pretty decent discount off of intrinsic value to actually profit from this.

11. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

I'm a stacker and I also like building sets of the best I can get.

Draft saved Draft deleted