Quarter sovereign

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Troodon, May 22, 2009.

1. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

This may not be news to some people, but I just found this:

http://www.royalmint.com/store/BritishGold/UKBQ09RN.aspx

This year will be the first year Britain's Royal Mint will be producing gold quarter sovereigns (patterns of them were made in 1853, but they were never actually put into production, until now). This will also be the smallest coin the modern Royal Mint has ever produced.

It's 2 grams of 22 karat gold... not sure what that comes out to in troy ounces, but I think it's slightly less than a 1/16 of an ounce (a full sovereign being the equivalent of just short of 1/4 ounce).

Interesting coin... and a cheap way to get that great gold sovereign design if the full sovereigns are too pricey for you (It's 65 pounds sterling, or 75 pounds for the proof.) Like the other sovereigns, its design is based on an effort to extrapolate from the original master dies in order to show more of Pistrucci's detail in the original design (the original design on sovereigns and half sovereigns that is; quarter sovereigns didn't exist at the time he created the design of course.)

I'm getting one, anyone else? Any thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Funny thing Troodon. I was today leafing through an old issue of Coin World and reading up on this coin. Very tempting....and beautiful too. :smile

4. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

It's too small for me. I can't appreciate what I can't see well.

5. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

The Isle of Man amongst others have had 1/25th Oz gold coins out for quite some time and they are quite nice so I might pick one up

6. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

I think it's kind of cute, and you can always use a magnifying glass lol... (in fact using a magnifying glass on my 1/10 oz AGE is how I first realized the US Capitol was in the foreground of the St. Gaudens design, oddly just never noticed that before.)

Can understand what you mean though. I've seen some countries produce gold bullion as tiny as 1/25 of an ounce... I'd be worried of losing the thing!

Had a full sovereign I unfortunately was forced to sell... while I hope to buy it back eventually, I'm getting one of these as my type coin that I can afford to keep under any condition. When it won't sell for that much anyway, I don't have to worry about being stuck in a position where I'm forced to sell it. I'm holding off on major gold purchases until my income becomes more stable, but this I can afford to buy, and keep.

Draft saved Draft deleted