pure investment Eagles or Bars?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by AlexN2coins2004, Aug 24, 2009.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I tend to agree except that the spot price is influenced so much by traders who have no intention of ever owning silver bullion that it sometimes becomes disconnected from the physical. So maybe ASEs aren't really selling for huge premiums. Maybe the spot price is a bit out of whack with the physical world.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Cloud, the difference in price I am talking about was close to $100, so I doubt it had much to do with the spot price.

5. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

No doubt these will follow silver prices with a premium over the spot price. They are a beautiful coin that is to me a wonderful to have silver on hand. I hope someday they have a big premium, but if they don't it's okay. They are still the big beautiful coin and my wife's favorite.

6. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

The Panda my be the only one that may rise it there 30thyr coin

7. Cloudsweeper99

Sorry, I thought you were speaking in general. Of course you are right about the 96.

8. Blue Angel

Blue Angel Senior Member

I like the diversity available....ASE are my first choice for sure. I have them all though. As far as the "rounds"....try the Englehard Prospectors or Libertads and Onzas. I have found that generic rounds such as the "Buffalo" are harder to sell/trade.....they have no mint affiliation marked on them.....just an observation.

9. Pepperoni

Pepperoni Senior Member

Silver

I would pick what had very good recognition. For resale or to use for barter.
    Same for diamonds.I would only buy serial numbered and units that had been put through a progam that checks all points that makes it worth a reasonable price.Synthetic and minecut pieces have been sold with false certification.
    Silver and gold bars require a knowledge of who makes what.
    Kind of like the gold being minted in San Francisco when coin was hard to come by. Some good others not so good.
    Some now are collectors pieces.

Pep My opinion only

10. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

am buffalo and eagle. those are my only picks.

11. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

I have both ASEs and bars I think the Pamp gold bars sealed with the assay cards will be easy to sell when the time comes. The ASEs are nice but the premium is quite high compared to the Pamp bars. The $4.50- $4.75 a ounce Pamp premium is much easier to take.

12. bg1856

bg1856 Junior Member

do you mean $4.50 - $4.75 premium over melt value per gram for pamp gold bar. Multiplied out would be approx $152 premium per troy oz. The 1 oz pamp bar can be had for around $25 over spot I believe

13. Yankee

Yankee Senior Member

I buy only 1 ounce Pamp bars from a local dealer here. I have dealt with him for a few years. I pay between $4.50-$4.75 a ounce premium (per ounce.). I never buy 1 gram bars. The smallest Pamp I have ever got was 10 gram.

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I rather agree with RickieB,

If it is strictly for investment, why not use ETFs like SLV or GLD , or if you
    also want to include gold along with heating oil, and ag commodities , DBC ?

You can buy or sell in an instant, and there is only the exchange fee which is minor compared to shipping, insurance, SDB, etc.

With options, you can leverage your position.

The only reason to buy physical units for investment is if you really aren't sure of the direction of move and want the security, which is OK, but then buy bags of circulated 90% silver. IMO.

Jim

15. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

GLD has lost a lot of money lately, I wouldn't touch it

Edit: Also, if the stock market collapsed, I'd like to see how much GLD would be worth. My private hoard of PM's are physical and will outlast man made investments

16. Cloudsweeper99

SLV and GLD have some drawbacks. First of all, there is no assurance that they actually own the metals. The prospectus only promises that they will attempt to track the metal prices -- not that every share will be backed fully by metal. This might not mean anything, or it might become critical depending on the state of the market at some unknown future date. They also require special tax treatment if held in a taxable account. Buying and selling in an instant is as much a negative as a positive because you are more likely to bail out with a small gain in a bull market and miss the once in a lifetime opportunity that might lie ahead. DBC holds futures contracts, not commodities. They roll them as they come due. Since most near and distant futures contracts are higher than the spot price, they are constantly rebuying at higher prices than they sell. In theory this can be profitable, but in practice a lot can go wrong. It also has some complex tax implications.

Bottom line -- there's no free lunch. Every investment has something wrong with it. Buying physical gold and silver is more trouble but also safer.

17. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

I may be a newbie to this but from what people say your better off buying quality silver instead of just random 90% junk silver
    and from what I know in my life it's always better to have an asset then a coupon or some piece of paper saying I got an asset
    so it's ASE's and cheap 90% and or cheaper silver of good "KNOWN" value for me :D
    stocks just drop too much for me in the past year and the fact people keep saying the stock market didn't drop as far as it should have nor did it stay down long enough to be known it will stay up when it goes back up.

18. Pepperoni

Pepperoni Senior Member

Yep !

If you need it you do not have to go far.
    Even a safe deposit box can be opened.
    The government can get to off shore accounts on the premise they think the money has been tainted by owed U.S. taxes. I believe it was a few under 500 accounts that contained 15 billion U.S. that they are going to access.
    Cooperation was a company who did a lot of banking in or through the U.S. . All the off shore numbered Island accounts are being scanned for money that could be tainted currency also.

Pep

19. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

I keep my bullion at home :smile

20. krispy

krispy krispy

Securely in a well concealed safe I hope. Shhh... ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted