pure investment Eagles or Bars?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by AlexN2coins2004, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I agree, but there is another overlooked possibility. It isn't easy for mining companies to ramp up production since most silver is mined as a byproduct. At the same time, it is in increasing demand for electronics and medical applications. Investment demand is also growing. If things reach a point where investment demand begins to hurt industrial users, there will be enormous pressure on the government to stop production of ASEs. It seems likely they will give in to the industrial companies. This might not be as far off as most people think.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

Yeah I saw the jk, just didnt know the quote!

Sorry I'm a little tense tonight, I have other things on my mind..

As for end of production for ASE's, I really don't see that happening or to the point that it hurts industry. just demand will push the prices up, which means less people will buy the ASE's

4. Cloudsweeper99

If investment demand pushes the price of silver up for industrial users, there will be enormous pressure put on the government to discontinue the ASE program for the sake of saving jobs [and profits].

5. goldeagleguy

goldeagleguy affictionado

If I were looking for a financial investment and not something to better my collection, I would go with the bars.

Or like RickyB said, you can go with:

MCD
    WMT
    XOM
    NLY
    PCH
    PCL

If you want to keep it fun, stick with the coins. Then you are bettering your collection and buying an investment.

Chris

6. krispy

krispy krispy

However, this is a BULLION INVESTING forum and thread, is it not.

Many, across the board, strongly advise against 'Investing' in coins. Coins are indeed fun and can be profitable, but it wouldn't be much fun loosing on coins as an investment, as certainly many have and continue to do so.

Now, if you meant buying 'junk silver coin' for melt as investment, that could be both fun in form, cheaper (get more for your money close to spot price) and valuable in investment growth when the bullion prices rise.

7. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

America started the ASE as the official way for Americans to have a way to safely invest in silver (safely regarding weight and purity). There is another reason and it's a prestige thing in the world community. It is the United States of America's one ounce silver bullion coin that was introduced to the world in 1986. The US will not stop producing the ASE, it is by law the number one in priority for silver coinage to be produced.

It may eventually look different, that can be debated until it happens. However, I do think it will always continue to be produced.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Investing? How the heck did I wind up here? I'm a collector....:)

9. krispy

krispy krispy

Green: You must've taken that wrong turn at Albuquerque!

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Krispy, how did you know...?

Classic link. :)

11. Cloudsweeper99

We'll have to wait and see and until then disagree. In the meantime, I think it's a good idea to get what you would like to own as if the series will be discontinued a year from now.

12. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

so I'm going with coins as the main hub of my silver collection instead of bars but does it matter more on the type of coin?

I have 2 choices to decide from

1oz Buffalo Silver bullion
    or
    1oz American Silver Eagle

I can get the Buffaloes for $1.19 over spot and the Eagles for $1.89

I'm looking for advice on this
    I don't really know much about the buffaloes
    here's a link to them on apmex.com
    https://www.apmex.com/Product/44447/1_oz_999_Fine_Silver_Rounds___Buffalo.aspx

you guys think these could carry a premium in the future or are they just bars in the shape of coins :D

13. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

14. Cloudsweeper99

15. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

Technically they are coins as they are minted pressed where bars are poured .

16. krispy

krispy krispy

Pointing out the obvious here... they are not 'just in the shape of coins', they are $1 denomination coins which you could go spend as legal tender, bars are not legal tender in that sense... obviously, no one uses ASEs for $1 coins, because it's clearly that the PM value they hold is far greater than $1.

17. CrustyCoins

Good point. Can't believe I did not think about that in my response. :eek:

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

19. Cloudsweeper99

20. CrustyCoins

21. Cloudsweeper99

I was talking about the series in general. But the 96 sort of shows how even a lowly bullion coin can develop numismatic premiums. Maybe the series will continue forever and a complete date set will have 50+ MS coins in it with nearly every one selling for $2 above melt, but I don't see that happening.

The future is unknowable, but that is my best forecast.

Draft saved Draft deleted