Purchased in 2016 - First to Arrive in 2017

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bing, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

As the title reflects, this is my first coin for the year 2017. It's an interesting Republican coin in it's own right, but first some background (probably more than you ever wanted to know)

The gens Minucia was a Roman family, which thrived from the earliest days of the Republic until imperial times. The gens was of patrician origin, but better known by its plebeian branches. The Minucii gave their name to the street known as the Via Minucia, the Pons Minucius, a bridge on the Via Flaminia, and a columned hall on the Campus Martius. The gate known as the Porticus Minucia was named after the consul of 110 BC.

Minucius Augurinus was the first of his gens to become a Roman consul in 497 BC. He again served as consul for a second time in 491 BC. During his first consulship, he was charged with the consecration of the newly constructed Temple of Saturn in the Roman forum. It was during this time that the festivities surrounding Saturnalia first began. Thank you Minucius from all of us on CT Ancients.

He was again elected consul for 491 BC which is important to my new coin. There had been a famine in Rome in the previous year, and in 491 BC a significant quantity of corn was imported from Sicily at the behest of Minucius. He was credited for his distribution of corn to the common people at a low price.

The reverse of my coin refers to a bronze monument erected outside of Portia Trigemina (at Rome) to L. Minucius Augurinus for his distribution of corn at a good price for the Roman people. The column and statue (a modius with corn ears) was erected at public expense some time after. Undoubtedly there are subtle issues to this reference that did not survive the passage of time.

I. MINUCIUS C.F. AUGURINUS.jpg
    I. MINUCIUS C.F. AUGURINUS
    AR DENARIUS
    OBVERSE: Head of Roma right, star behind
    REVERSE: TI MINVCI C F on left, RO-MA above, AVGVRINI on right; 2 togate figures, one holding a simpulum, the other a lituus, standing by statue on column, grain ears on either side of the column
    Rome, 134 BC
    3.86g, 17mm
    Cr243/1, Syd 494, Minucia 9

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Interesting reverse on a nice coin.

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I love the history of your coin @Bing. Gorgeous denarius and what a great find for the end of 2016/2017... a symbol of Abundance for the new year! Nice write-up... Patricians distributing low-cost grain during those times were critical in the survival of the Early Republic.

I got mine from @John Anthony last Fall....

upload_2017-1-17_21-59-58.png
    Roman Republic
    Ti. Minucius C.f. Augurinus, moneyer.
    AR denarius, 18mm, 3.9g, 8h; Rome mint, 134 BC
    Obv.: Helmeted head of Roma right; behind, XVI monogram. Border of dots.
    Rev.: Spiral column; standing on column, statue holding staff in right hand; at base of column, two corn-ears; on left, togate figure holding loaves(?) in both hands and placing left foot on modius; on right, togate figure holding lituus in right hand; above, ROMA; on left, TI MINVCI C F upwards; on right, AVGVRINI downwards. Border of dots.
    Reference: Crawford 243/1; Sydenham 494; Minucia 9.
    From the Collection of Fred Shore

5. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

What a splendid denarius! It peaked my curiosity about the Columna Minucia and I had to look it up in Richardson's A new Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome. Suffice to say, the only thing remaining of the column are the coins struck to commemorate it. Apparently, there also was a gilded bull presented to Minucius that was erected near the column (Livy 4.16.2) and they both marked the beginning of the pomerium.

Ancient Aussie and Bing like this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's a nice way to start coin year 2017 bing! cool story behind the reverse as well!

7. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

To me this is exactly what coin collecting is about-tying a specific coin to a specific moment in history. All of the coins in my present collection are generic bits of history, albeit much enjoyed bits, but I can imagine there is a certain amount of joy in holding a coin that can trace its existence to an exact point in the past. Awesome!

8. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Awesome research and coin bing. A really great coin to start out 2017. I love these Roma type Denarii and can't help but link these with the mercury dime (my favorite modern coin) in my mind.

I like how yours has the line through the X to signify that it's worth 16 As instead of 10. I wonder why all the Denarii post AD 141 done have this??

Johndoe2000$ and Ancient Aussie like this.
  9. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Nice examples all! I did a small writeup about this type when I picked one up via trade with @Valentinian a year or so ago here. I really hope to upgrade mine one of these days because these are a cool, historic type.
    2431TiMinuciusCfAugurinusDenarius-smaller.JPG

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That's a great coin, JW, congrats.

11. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Nice coin, I am jealous I really need one of them for my collection.

12. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A neat type. Great addition.

13. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

interesting write up Bing, a real upper class family

best

eric

14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Yup, I want one. Nice score and thanks for the write-up, Bing.

15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice => congrats on your first 2017 AR-RR winner, big bro (totally jealous of that baby)

Cheers

16. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Great piece of history with a nice write up.
    Awesome coin to start the year with also.

17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Cool coins! Proof that ancient Romans invented the chocolate fountain :D

[​IMG]

18. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That was a good write-up and a nice coin Bing.

19. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Well after seeing these examples of Minucius Augurinus column denarius I remembered I had a couple on a watch list and decided now or never, just received today. He had two types I thought I would post mine in this thread so you can see the difference, anyway I am very happy with it, Rome, 135 BC, Crawford 242/1, 19mm, 3.86gm, ex Den of Antiquity. 7YqyGz23cA8X5kCziR842nQREFy69J (1).jpg

20. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Thanks for bumping it several notches up my want list! Nice buy :).

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  21. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

LOL

Or a giant donor kabob.

IMG_0125.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted