The Columna Minucia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by red_spork, Dec 17, 2015.

1. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

minecombined.JPG

I thought I was done buying coins for the year, but then an interesting opportunity presented itself and I made a trade with @Valentinian and came out with this very interesting denarius that highlights one of the things I find fascinating about Republican moneyers and their coins. Like many Republican denarii, this coin bears devices meant to celebrate the achievements of the moneyer's family. This denarius, minted under the moneyer Ti. Minucius C.f. Augurinus, features the Columna Minucia, a monument allegedly raised for the moneyer's ancestor Lucius Minucius Augurinus who, as praefectus annonae in 440 BC, is said to have distributed grain at a reduced price during a shortage. Various historians have theorized on the origins and veracity of the story and a recent paper proposes that the whole thing was made up to lend legitimacy to an otherwise unremarkable family, which, given what we know of Republican Rome and the various individuals and families all constantly trying to one-up each other, seems quite plausible.

Full ID: Roman Republic AR denarius(3.77g, 19mm). Ti. Minucius C.f. Augurinus, moneyer, 134 BC. Rome mint. Helmeted head of Roma right; behind, XVI monogram. Border of dots / Spiral column; standing on column, statue holding staff in right hand; at base of column, two corn-ears; on left, togate figure holding loaves(?) in both hands and placing left foot on modius; on right, togate figure holding lituus in right hand; above, ROMA; on left, TI MINVCI C F upwards; on right, AVGVRINI downwards. Border of dots. Crawford 243/1; Sydenham 494; Minucia 9.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

Great write-up and fascinating type. I'm still looking for mine. Congrats!

red_spork likes this.
  4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Yes, thanks for showing such an interesting coin and providing a great writeup.

5. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

red_spork tells a great story. Every coin has a story and I really appreciate it when members research their coins and tell us the story.
    Apparently his brother, C. Minucius Augurinus, minted a coin with that column, but different details, the previous year, 135 BC.
    Cr242s1SR119o40.JPG Cr242s1SR119r40.jpeg
    This type is discussed in the article linked to by red_spork. Note the "bells" hanging from the column and the protomes of lions at the base.
    The "C . A VG" is for "C. Augurinus".

18 mm. 3.77 grams.

References: Crawford 242/1. Sear 119.
    See also the recent paper he linked to (which is not illustrated--read it while using these images as the illustrations).

dlhill132, chrsmat71, Jwt708 and 7 others like this.
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice coin and writeup! I've yet to score one of these but have come close on a few occasions.

7. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I totally agree!!

Love the coin and the 'story' behind it all !!!

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice rr. Congrats.

9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow!! => that's a very cool AR RR, red_spork (yummy!!)

Draft saved Draft deleted