Purchase lands precious metals dealer in hot water

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Owle, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Owle

Owle Junior Member

A gold buyer mentioned this story today, and I looked it up: http://www.vnews.com/news/11727751-95/stolen-bracelet-lands-businessman-in-trouble

What I heard is the bracelet was quite attractive and his wife wanted it, I don't know why he couldn't have just complied with the hold periods and let the cops have the two weeks or so to connect the dots on stolen stuff. Too bad because he is a popular dealer, the biggest in the area. I've talked with Art over the years, and he had stories about doing lots of transactions, Ed Brown was a big PM buyer.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

What got me was his intentional subterfuge. Mailing an empty box and having it mailed back to him? Those are actions of a guilty man going out of his way to lie to the police. At first I had some sympathy for the man, believing maybe he simply bought a bracelet that turned out to be stolen. After reading about the empty box mailing, I am convinced he is a thief and knew what he was doing.

midas1, W.Mart and Dougmeister like this.
  4. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

No sympathy for that guy. Especially when he blurts out "Tiffany means nothing". Seriously? I suppose a Morgan dollar with "CC" stamped on it means nothing either.

midas1 and imrich like this.
  5. carboni7e

That's just an allegation, not proven yet. But it probably will be.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

He knew exactly what he was doing. I have no sympathy for him.

Chris

midas1 likes this.
  7. SilverSurfer415

SilverSurfer415 Well-Known Member

Can't wait to see his mug shot.

8. BullionBill

BullionBill Member

So let me get this straight, besides being found guilty in the past for "simple assault, robbery, burglary and theft by unauthorized taking."

He's really an honest businessman.

midas1, bkozak33 and carboni7e like this.
  9. carboni7e

"'Tiffany', what's that?" - said no precious metals dealer, ever.

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I have no trouble believing that someone with a troubled past can "go straight". It just appears that this guy never quite worked those last few kinks out.

lucyray likes this.
  11. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Yep, he got himself in hot water when he apparently lied to the police... If he would just said "yeah we have that" he would have not been in any trouble at all. Apparently from the article he told the police something other than that... But then his wife ends up wearing it... Ouch...

12. Owle

Owle Junior Member

As I mentioned before this unsavory character was one of his customers before he and his wife went to jail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_and_Elaine_Brown

I asked him about Brown and he just said he was a good customer, and Arthur was his main precious metal sellers, we can't pick and choose those who buy and sell to us.

I spoke with him about the law a number of times, and he seemed to be a little upset about how aggressive he thought the cops were in his paperwork, etc.. I guess he is going to have a lot of time to think about it now....Everyone in jail thinks they were framed, etc., or were just one of the unlucky ones. And in a sense they are right with all the stolen stuff floating around, with $100K and up heists of which I know about around a half dozen cases, and none of the precious metals or stolen currency turn up in 99% of cases. Too bad the NSA and Homeland Security are not helping solve the theft crimes which are a major threat for coin and precious metals dealers.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    midas1 likes this.
  13. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

No I think not. Homeland Security's and the NSA's powers are broad as it is. Would rather take the risk of having some of my possessions stolen as opposed to more of my civil liberties and freedoms.

14. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

From my read Mr Beebe is a criminal who got what he deserved what with his lengthy criminal record.

"She listed several other violations dating back to 1966, including simple assault, robbery, burglary and theft by unauthorized taking."

"In court, Pierce, the prosecutor, said Beebe’s most recent criminal conviction was in 1999, when he was convicted of a controlled drug violation."

15. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

So THAT explains the shoddy grading!

16. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

"So THAT explains the shoddy grading!"

I thought this thread was discussing a PM dealer who attempted to hide a stolen bracelet.

17. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I censed an attempt at a little humor in the remark. Am I wrong?

18. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

One has to wonder how many previous sleaze buys he's made in the past. This time he got caught and looks like the criminal he is and he don't like it. Bookem' Dano! Thief.gif

Cascade likes this.
  19. Owle

Owle Junior Member

20. Owle

Owle Junior Member

If someone had violations in the past should that necessarily make him a criminal?? Circumstances are critical to those types of judgments and people can change and become better by doing good. Plus Beebe has been one of the few coin dealers in that part of New England; you would have to go to Burlington or Plymouth NH for the nearest dealers offering near melt for pms.

Jesus for example engaged in assault and battery against the money changers, was a tax criminal by some people's judgment and the Christian disciple Paul was a murderer.....

21. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

What does your your last sentence have to do with his past violations? Is this your requirement for forgiveness?

Draft saved Draft deleted