Puck "Cents"

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Phil Ham, May 11, 2013.

1. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

It will be interesting to watch the value of the Chickasaw, El Yungue, and Chaco Culture. They all seem a little low in market value to me. On the other hand, the Hawaii seems a lot over priced to me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hotpocket

Hotpocket Supreme Overlord

So out of curiosity, I pulled up the Hawaii coin on eBay, and the first one I found is a Buy It Now for $369.99 w/ free shipping.

Phil, how are you coming up with the above pricing? And I guess I should also ask, is the above pricing including the original mint packaging (not sure if that makes a huge difference)?

Here's the ebay link for reference...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Silver...46606?pt=US_Bullion_Coins&hash=item19ee02d9ae

4. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

That's the bullion version and he's referring to the P version.

TopcatCoin likes this.
  5. +1. It will cost twice as much for the P version.

6. Hotpocket

Ok, yes I see that now. The listing doesnt say bullion until you scroll down pretty far, and I didnt bother to look for the mintmark.

Thanks

7. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

My market value uses the sold listing on ebay with the code (NQ3 for Hawaii). The code weeds out a lot of the bullion stuff.

8. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

I never have (or probably will) look into the online registry sets. So, does anyone know if these exist for the Pucks?

9. I am sure they do. There are people posting on forums (fora) building SP70 sets for the collector version and MS69DMPL for the bullion version. Not me, all mine are in OGP or raw. TC

10. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I have all the collector pucks. I must say that they must all grade very high. I can see very little wrong with any of them. I'm like topcat and like them in OGP.

11. statequarterguy

Yeah, mine are staying in ogp too. But, apparently, once a registry set is established, it can give a real boost to the value of a coin/series.

12. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Registry set of collector pucks. It sounds like a bucket list item for retirement.

13. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Registry set of collector pucks. It sounds like a bucket list item for retirement.

14. Hotpocket

You can say that again....

15. statequarterguy

Just listened to The Coin Show (Episode 84) talk about the P-Pucks. Their analysis is kind of a joke. They talk about the lower prices from the mint, referring to the Shenandoah, and claim they have all come down to under $100. They fail to mention how well they have preformed in the face of declining pm’s and how most are up over issue price. Guess they didn’t buy these or you have to wonder what their intentions are.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  16. I think they were just pointing out that the initial price in 2010 was $279.95 and now they are much cheaper especially with the subscription rate. They commented that melt value was now under $100 (at the time of their show) not that they have come down in price to under $100. I do get the impression though that neither Mike nor Matt are big fans of the pucks. The "special" snoring sound effects were a dead give away. :D The pucks are like anything else...some like them and some don't. It's all good. My feeling is that the subscription rate is the best deal offered by the US mint in a long time, and that in the future many will regret not taking advantage of it.

Hotpocket likes this.
  17. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I love to listen to coinshowradio. I get the impression that Mike likes the pucks but Matt is disinterested. It is my opinion that Mike is a collector and Matt is a dealer; thus they tend to have different points of view. It is probably why I like listening to them banter about modern coins, which I tend to collect.

18. statequarterguy

Yeah, I hear what you guys are saying, but, red flags should go up when a dealer and a collector are too far apart, or when dealers have to misstate the facts to make their point. I personally sell pucks at nowhere near melt. The only time I hear dealers talk melt for these is when they're making an offer for them.

19. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

As I just received my Arches puck, I thought it was a good time to update the mintages and the market values. I was someone surprized that the value of the Hawaii puck has increased by another $100. I averaged the value at $764 but I did see a couple instances of sales above $850. These guys are red hot!

Updated on 29 June 2014

2010 (Average Mint Sales Price of $280)
    Hot Springs (NP1) $229 27,000
    Yellowstone (NP2) $249 27,000
    Yosemite (NP3) $224 27,000
    Grand Canyon (NP4) $224 26,019
    Mount Hood (NP5) $229 26,928
    2011 (Average Mint Sales Price of $215)
    Gettysburg (NP6) $204 24,625
    Glacier (NP7) $209 20,856
    Olympic (NP8) $219 18,398
    Vicksburg (NP9) $209 18,594
    Chickasaw (NP10) $234 16,827
    2012 (Average Mint Sales Price of $215)
    El Yungue (NQ0) $289 17,314
    Chaco Culture (NQ1) $239 17,146
    Acadia (NQ2) $424 14,978
    Hawaii (NQ3) $764 14,863
    Denali (NQ4) $304 15,225
    2013 (Average Mint Sales Price of $155)
    White Mountains (NQ5) $184 20, 530
    Perry's Victory (NQ6) $180 17,707
    Great Basin (NQ7) $180 17,792
    Fort McHenry (NQ8) $184 19,802
    Mount Rushmore (NQ9) $189, 23,547
    2014 (Average Mint Sales Price of $140 with Subscription)
    Great Smokey Mountains (NR1) $180 24,710
    Shenadoah National Park (NR2) $140 24,045*
    Arches (NR3) $140 22,543*

* US mint still selling to a maximum mintage of 30,000.

20. Thank for the update, Phil! The Hawaii will be key, even if a later audit shows a higher mintage (which I doubt will occur). The design is awesome...no other puck like it. BTW: I said it before and will say it again: Chickasaw is undervalued...buy now at that price if you can. TC

Phil Ham likes this.
  21. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I agree that the Chickasaw is undervalued. I'm also putting Chaco Culture in the same boat. I think the 2014 pucks will probably stall at around $180-$200. It is the 2012 pucks that will probably be the ones to watch plus Chickasaw from 2011.

TopcatCoin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted