Puck "Cents"

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Phil Ham, May 11, 2013.

1. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve puck went on sale on 7 December 2020. It is the 55th puck in the ATB series and the fifth of 2020. The sales were quite low during the first couple of weeks at 11,575, perhaps as a result of the higher sales price ($229). The only other pucks that remain on sale on the mint website include the Weir Farm and the Marsh Billings Rockefeller. The other 2019 and 2020 pucks have been unavailable for some time and probably sold old. The mint has limited mintage of this puck at just 13,750 (same as the last two pucks). I would rate the design of this latest puck above average as I like butterflies.

From the Mint Website. The Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve puck is the final release of 2020 in the America the Beautiful Quarters® Program. The reverse depicts a skyward view of a Regal Fritillary butterfly against a backdrop of Big Bluestem and Indian grasses, iconic to Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve. Encompassing nearly 11,000 acres, Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve is located in the heart of the Flint Hills—the largest expanse of tallgrass prairie remaining in North America. It is the only unit of the National Park Service dedicated to the rich natural history of the tallgrass prairie. Established in 1996, part of its mission is to interpret the region’s ranching legacy; a portion of the preserve is still grazed by cattle. Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve is an incredibly diverse ecosystem and is home to more than 500 species of plants. Prominent grasses—including Big Bluestem, Indian, and Little Bluestem—appear to dominate the plant community, although they are far outnumbered by the diversity of herbaceous plants (wildflowers). Wildlife ranges from large grazing animals, such as deer, bison, and cattle, to a multitude of birds, insects, amphibians, and reptiles. The entire preserve—including the Spring Hill Ranch, representing the transition of the open range in the 1800s—is designated a National Historic Landmark.

Tallgrass Prairie.jpg

longarm, afox and halvessearcher like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

As 2020 comes to an end, I thought it was a good time to update the sales volume versus puck value spreadsheet and chart. After a flurry of sales of existing 2019 pucks with the rising cost of silver, sales has significantly slowed as the pucks went from $155 to $178 to $229 in 2020. The first couple weeks of sales for the Tallgrass Prairie puck were very low at only 11,575 with the first month of sales on the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller at only 11,654. The mint has lowered the mintage of pucks to just 13,750, which led to a quick sellout of the Salt River Bay puck. Subsequently, they raised the price of pucks from $178 to $229, which has nipped sales in the bud. Only the Weir Farm, Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller, and the Tallgrass Prairie are currently available for sales on the mint website. The rising price of silver, which currently tops $26/oz., has also led to higher prices for all pucks. The quick sellout of the Salt River has pushed its market value to over $280. When reviewing sold items on eBay, it continues to be obvious that you should use the "Buy it Now" option in lieu of other options. It seems to be better to wait for your asking price than watching something sell for a much lower value due to little interest. Here is the updated chart and graph:

upload_2020-12-31_13-50-49.png

upload_2020-12-31_13-51-39.png

4. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The sold out Samoa and Salt River Bay are going for crazy prices on the Bay. The Samoa is selling for $290 and the Salt River at an astonishing $360. Nice!

medjoy and halvessearcher like this.
  5. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Tallgrass Prairie is no longer available at the mint @ 13,614 mintage. You will probably only be able to get returns now. It is already selling for over $240 on the Bay. It leaves only Weir Farm and Marsh-Billings-Rochester with availability. Tuskegee will be flying out of the mint on April 8th.

halvessearcher and slackaction1 like this.
  6. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I probably already said something about the Five Ounce Pucks, but I'm a curious cat and have a question or two. How old is that list of prices, etal? I have the 2011 Gettysburg and 2017 Ellis Island coins. When I bought the Gettysburg in 2012, it cost me $204.90 with shipping from the Mint. I bought the Ellis Island in 2017 and it only cost me $154.90. I just wonder why Gettysburg that was bought in 2012 for $50 than the 2017 Ellis Island.

7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

For most of 2012, silver was over $30/oz. For all of 2017, it was under $18/oz.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  8. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I miss those numbers:(:(.

9. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I update the prices quite often on the thread; the ones above were done at the end of December 2020. The prices are pretty good except for the Salt River, Samoa, and Tallgrass Prairie as mentioned above. My next update will be as soon as I get the Tuskegee puck in mid April.

halvessearcher likes this.
  10. Jim Dale

My question is... Why was the 2011 Gettysburg puck $50 more than the 2017 Ellis Island puck?

11. -jeffB

Again, the price of silver was nearly twice as high in 2012. For a five-ounce silver puck, the cost of the silver in 2012 was $150 or more, whereas in 2017 it was $90 or less.

12. Jim Dale

I apologize. Now that you mention it, I believe you mentioned it in an earlier entry. Is that the same reason that the USM increased the cost of the Silver Proof Set from 2020 $63.25 to 2021 $105.00, over 66% increase (I think.) What was the cost of silver in 2020 and also 2021.
    I don't know if you ever heard the story about how to cook a frog. It seems that a man had fond a frog and decided to cook it. He turn the stove up to 350 degrees and put the frog into the pot. Well, the frog jumped out. So this man put the frog in the pot again, and again. The man was perplexed, so he called his friend and told him the problem. The man thought for a minute and then told the man, "You don't put a frog in a hot pot. You put the frog in a pot with cool water. The frog will stay in the pot, then. Slowly, you turn the heat up a little at a time and the frog will be cooked.
    The moral of the story is that the U.S. Mint has got it all wrong. Rather than raise the price of the coins all at one time. Raise the price a little at a time and their customers (most of them) won't complain about being "cooked."
    The Mint is trying to catch up with their cost all at one time. The US Post Office is doing the same thing. They want to recover their loses with one jump in the price.

13. -jeffB

The 2021 Silver Proof Set that contains less silver than the 2020 issue? Nah, that's just greed.

Phil Ham and pomyluy like this.
  14. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

File of Tuskegee Airmen

Attached Files:

15. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The Tuskegee Airmen puck went on sale on 8 April 2021 and quickly sold old. It is the 56th puck and final puck in the ATB series and the only one for 2021. Despite the increased mintage of 20,000 and high sales price of $229, it sold out quickly with a final mintage of about 19,833. The mint website indicates backorder, which suggests only returns will be sent out to customers. Flippers are already selling them on eBay for over $300. The only other pucks remaining on sales are the Weir Farms and Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller from 2020. I like this design and the history behind the puck. Well done mint!

From the Mint Website. The Tuskegee Airmen puck is the final release of the America the Beautiful Quarters Program, which began in 2010. This reverse design depicts a Tuskegee Airman pilot suiting up to join the fight during World War II, with the Moton Field control tower in the background. The pilot looks upward with pride and confidence as two P-51 Mustangs pass overhead. The inscription “THEY FOUGHT TWO WARS” is arced across the top as a reference to the dual battles the Tuskegee Airmen fought—fascism abroad and racial discrimination at home. Inscriptions are "TUSKEGEE AIRMEN," "ALABAMA," "2021," and "E PLURIBUS UNUM." Established in 1998, the Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site commemorates the heroic actions and achievements of the famous Tuskegee Airmen. It preserves five historic structures used during primary flight training during World War II—Moton Field, Hangar I, bath and locker building, All Ranks (Skyway) Club, and Hangar II, which includes the control tower. The Tuskegee Airmen included a diverse group of both men and women. They numbered nearly 1,000 pilots and more than 15,000 support staff, including navigators, bombardiers, and mechanics. During World War II, Tuskegee Airmen destroyed more than 260 enemy aircraft and numerous enemy installations, with several aviators giving their lives for their country. The Airmen were awarded numerous high honors including 150 Distinguished Flying Crosses, 14 Bronze Stars, as well as Legions of Merit, Silver Stars, and Purple Hearts.

Tuskegee Airmen.jpg

slackaction1 likes this.
  16. Jim Dale

I guess I was the lucky one. I got the Tuskegee Airmen puck and it is one of the prettier pucks made. Also, I have been trying to fill the hole with the P/D Tuskegee Airmen quarters. I guess I was in a hurry, so I ordered the P/D/S Tuskegee quarters. Some how I got 2. Anyway, I tried and tried to crack the P & D out of one of them to fill the hole to no avail. They cost $11.50 a piece and couldn't use them, so I ordered them from Mount Vernon for $1.95 and have filled my last hole. Two things... First, Mount Vernon is one of the better online dealers. I have bought from them for years. And finally, after going through the effort to complete my book of state quarters and then my book of the historic sites quarters, THIS IS THE LAST TIME I AM GOING TO COLLECT COINS TO FILL A BOOK!!!!

17. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

As the program comes to the end with the release of the Tuskegee puck, I thought it was a good time to update the sales volume versus puck value spreadsheet and chart. The Tuskegee puck sold out in record time and is currently selling for over $300 on the Bay despite a high mintage volume of nearly 20,000. Other pucks have significantly increased in value as the mint has raised the price to $229 while the price of silver approaches $26/ounce. Only the Weir Farm and Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller pucks are currently available for sales on the mint website. Here is the updated chart and graph:

upload_2021-4-17_16-30-41.png

upload_2021-4-17_16-31-40.png

18. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Something odd is going on at the mint with the Tuskegee Airmen pucks. Last week's sales report showed a downward adjustment of -2,411 and the mint website still shows the the puck is backordered. I'm not sure of the reason for the large downward adjustment as the puck continues to get a premium of over $300 on the bay. Could it be an accounting error or possibly the return of a bunch of pucks by the Tuskegee museum?

19. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The Tuskegee Airmen sales grew slightly to 17,001 last week after the large downward adjustment from the prior week. As the puck is still on back order on the mint's website, it appears that they are only sending out acceptable quality returns to customers. The value is still about $300 on the Bay but it appears that some are asking just $280 for it now.

20. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The Tuskegee Airmen puck is available again at the mint. It's sales jumped to 17,582 last week as folks are quickly acquiring the returns. I'm guessing that the market value will drop until it sells out but I'm thinking long term that it will settle at the sales price of $229 or below.

21. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The Tuskegee Airmen puck is the only one that is currently available for sales on the mint website. I'm going to lower its value to the $229 with a current mintage of 18,298. Weir Farms is no longer available at 15,306 and a estimated value of $197. The Marsh-Billing-Rockefeller is also no longer available at 13,392 and an estimated value of $208. It is currently the puck with the lowest mintage. The fact that both pucks appear to be sold out will probably raise their value.

Draft saved Draft deleted