Puck "Cents"

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Phil Ham, May 11, 2013.

1. 1970 Silver Art

1970 Silver Art Silver Art Bar Collector

Update (11-9-2018): I sold one of the two 2017-P George Rogers Clark 5-oz Uncirculated pucks on ebay that I bought a week ago. I sold it for $229. I will keep the other one for myself.

Phil Ham, halvessearcher and longarm like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Frederick Douglas has officially sold out with a mintage of 17,678. Block Island has shipped from the mint. Cumberland Island is getting little demand at 14,282 sold.

McBlzr and halvessearcher like this.
  4. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The Block Island National Wildlife Refuge puck went on sale in November 2018. The mint sold 13,501 in the first of week of sales. Puck sales have been very week in the past few months and the release of Block Island didn't seem to give the other pucks much of a bump. Although the program is running out of gas, I do like the design of this one as well as the others from 2018. Here is some information on the puck from the mint website.

Block Island National Wildlife Refuge is located 12 miles off the southern coast of mainland Rhode Island and sits on a terminal moraine, shaped by glacial till deposits, creating rolling dunes. Covering 133 acres, the refuge is distinctive because the staff works closely with other conservation organizations in an effort to protect the land. One partner, the Town of New Shoreham, operates the adjoining North Lighthouse, the island’s first lighthouse built in 1867. It has an interpretive display highlighting the importance of barrier beach habitat and the protection of the piping plover and other migratory shorebirds.

Block Island National Wildlife Refuge is a critical migratory bird stopover point on the Atlantic coast. Fruit-bearing shrubs provide essential food for the species of birds that come to rest there. These wild lands are also known internationally for spectacular bird watching and provide a breath-taking walk along the barrier beaches.

Block Island v2.JPG

5. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

With the release of the Block Island puck, I thought it would be a good time to update the market values versus their mintages. Although the Rhode Island puck had a slightly higher initial demand than its Georgia counterpart, it certainly wasn't a robust opening week. Cumberland Island has yet to reach 14,500 in sales despite two months of sales. Seven pucks are on sale at the mint (two from early last year) with little buyer interest. You can drive one off the lot and expect a 10% reduction in value and later, buyer's remorse. In addition, there is little demand for the sold out pucks on the secondary market. The low price of silver is reducing demand while spurring ASE bullion sales. Meanwhile, puck values are declining faster than Grant took Vicksburg. Considering silver near $14/ounce, the mint should lower the price in 2019 to keep this program on life support. It is going the way of the presidential dollars. The chart and graph tell the gloomy story.

upload_2018-11-25_11-5-29.png

upload_2018-11-25_11-6-3.png

halvessearcher likes this.
  6. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The US mint webpage shows the Ozark puck (17,693) and the Pictured Rocks (17,747) puck as unavailable. Considering their mintages, I believe that they will move to sold out very soon. Pictured Rocks will be the first sell out of 2018 while Effigy Mounds will be the only puck remaining from 2017.

7. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Sales will end for Effigy Mounds on 31 December. Ozark and Pictured Rocks remain unavailable and probably only available from returns. Sales for the other pucks were up slightly, probably due to Christmas.

slackaction1 likes this.
  8. halvessearcher

halvessearcher Active Member

They got a bump from the free budget shipping maybe. lol Cool 5 buck savings.

9. 1970 Silver Art

1970 Silver Art Silver Art Bar Collector

I sold the 2nd George Rogers "P" today on ebay for a decent profit. I do not regret it because I am planning to use the proceeds to buy that Apollo 5-oz coin that is supposed to come out on Janaury 24, 2019.

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The Effigy Mounds design on a puck must look like a quilted pillow.

11. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

It isn't one of my favorite designs.

12. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

Bullion mintage for 2018
    Pictured Rocks 30k
    Apostle Islands
    Voyageurs 30k
    Cumberland Island 52.5k
    Block Island 80k

13. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The Lowell puck went on sale in February 2019, and the mint sold 12,734 in the first week. Other pucks continue to have weak sales and the release of Lowell didn't seem to garner much hype for the puck program. Personally, I like the design of this one. Here is some information on the puck from the mint website.

The reverse depicts a mill girl working at a power loom with its prominent circular bobbin battery. A view of Lowell, including the Boott Mill clock tower is seen through the window. Inscriptions include "LOWELL," "MASSACHUSETTS," "2019," and "E PLURIBUS UNUM." Lowell National Historical Park preserves and interprets the role of Lowell, MA, in the Industrial Revolution, archiving the history of the human story in addition to the industry processes and cultural environment of the time. The era was also defined, in part, by the “Mill Girls,” young women who were recruited to work in the mills, where they earned cash wages and lived in supervised, company-owned boarding houses. They became an important voice for labor by advocating for better working conditions, supporting abolition, and embracing education.

Lowell (2).JPG

medjoy and slackaction1 like this.
  14. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Mine arrives tomorrow. I still like these for the long term, the weaker the sales now, the better for the long run. Looks like the bullion versions are gaining in popularity, why 5 SAE's when you can buy one of the pucks for about the same price and a fraction of the mintage.

medjoy likes this.
  15. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I like the pucks too but not sure that they will appreciate in value. I just like the size, designs, and the history. I drive through Lowell often when I return to my childhood home in Maine. I never knew that they had a national park. Perhaps I will visit it the next time through. I'm also looking forward to the curved Apollo 11 puck. I see that the mint has changed my order status to processing and billed my credit card.

medjoy likes this.
  16. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The Lowell puck has been released for over a month with extremely low sales; just 13,395 pucks sold. Five pucks are on sale at the mint (four from 2018 along with the Massachusetts offering) with receiving little interest from the collector's universe. Puck values increased in value slightly since the last update in November 2018. It is probably related to the rise in silver from about $14/ounce in November to nearly $15.50/ounce today. With the low sales of the pucks, the mint may want to consider a lower price to pump up some demand. The chart and graph tell the story.
    upload_2019-3-23_12-22-4.png

upload_2019-3-23_12-22-45.png

17. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The Apostle Islands puck has sold out at the mint with a mintage of 16,802. It has displaced Chickasaw as the 5th rarest puck behind GRC, Hawaii, Acadia, and Denali. The AI puck will most likely lose its top five ranking considering the lack of interest in the Cumberland Island, Block Island, and Lowell pucks. Based on the lack luster sales of the Lowell puck coupled with the 2019 introduction of two territorial pucks, I'm guessing that the mint may place an internal limit of 14-15 K on some of the 2019 offerings with the Texas puck being an exception. I'm thinking that the San Antonio Missions puck may spring a short revival in the puck program.

halvessearcher and slackaction1 like this.
  18. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The American Memorial Park puck went on sale in April 2019, and the mint sold 12,254 in the first week. Other pucks continue to have weak sales and the release of North Mariana Islands' offering hasn't set the puck world on fire. Voyageur is not currently available on the mint website and will most likely go to a sold out status at fewer than 17,000 sold. Other pucks available at the mint include the Cumberland Island, Block Island, and the Lowell pucks. I think that the mint has done well with the design of the latest puck. Here is some information on the puck from the mint website.

The American Memorial Park coin is the second in 2019 and 47th overall in the puck program. American Memorial Park in the Northern Mariana Islands honors the thousands of American troops and local residents of Saipan who gave their lives during the Marianas Campaign of World War II. At the memorial, the American flag is displayed at the center of the Flag Circle and surrounded by the Navy, Marine Corps, Army, and Coast Guard flags. The Court of Honor consists of 26 granite panels inscribed with the names of 5,204 service members who died. The park’s 133 acres includes white beaches, sporting areas, picnic sites, playgrounds, and walkways. A series of wayside markers located throughout the island describe events such as the maneuvers of both American and Japanese troops, artifacts, and architectural remnants. The reverse (tails) design depicts a young woman in traditional dress at the front of the Flag Circle and Court of Honor. She is resting her hand on the plaque whose text honors the sacrifice of those who died in the Marianas Campaign of World War II. Inscriptions are "AMERICAN MEMORIAL PARK," "N. MARIANA ISLANDS," "2019," and "E PLURIBUS UNUM."

American Memorial Park.JPG

19. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Voyageur is now officially sold out at 16,832. It is the seventh rarest puck but will most likely be less rare than the four pucks still on sale at the mint. The Lowell and American National Park offerings are getting very little interest from the collector's universe. They may have a tough time breaking 15,000.

medjoy and halvessearcher like this.
  20. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The War in the Pacific puck went on sale in June 2019. The mint sold 12,010 in the first of week of sales. Puck sales continue to be very weak this year with the Guam offering having the slowest first week of sales on record. The other two pucks released in 2019 continue to have extremely low demand (13,249 for American Memorial and 14,191 for Lowell). I'm not wowed by the latest design but it isn't the worst of the litter. Here is some information on the puck from the mint website.

The America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin™ – War in the Pacific National Historical Park (Guam) is the third release of 2019 in the America the Beautiful Quarters Program. The reverse (tails) design portrays American forces coming ashore at Asan Bay, strengthening the number of troops on the island in the fight for Guam and its eventual liberation. Inscriptions are “WAR IN THE PACIFIC,” “GUAM,” 2019,” and “E PLURIBUS UNUM.”

The westernmost park of all the National Park Service units, War in the Pacific National Historical Park was established in 1978 to commemorate the bravery, courage, and sacrifice of those participating in the campaigns of the Pacific Theater of World War II. At War in the Pacific National Historical Park, the former battlefields, gun emplacements, trenches, and historic structures all serve as reminders of key World War II battles. The park also conserves and interprets a variety of amazing resources found on Guam. Snorkeling, fishing, and exploring the coral reefs are among some of the favorite recreational activities enjoyed by visitors to the site.

Perhaps the most iconic memorial in the park is the Asan Bay Overlook. In addition to sweeping views of the landing beaches, Apra Harbor, and seaside villages, there are bronze sculptures depicting events that took place on Guam. The Memorial Wall of Names lists both the military personnel killed, as well as the local residents who either lost their lives or suffered during the Japanese occupation. Other memorials include the Marine Landing Memorial, the Liberator's Memorial, and the Ga'an Point flag display.

War in the Pacific.JPG

halvessearcher, paddyman98 and medjoy like this.
  21. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The North Mariana's Island and Guam pucks have been released since the past update. Sales have been extremely low for all five of the remaining pucks that remain on the mint website. Puck values have decreased slightly since the last update in March. Hopefully, the Texas puck will breath some life into this dying program. At the current rate, the three 2019 pucks will have a tough time reaching the 15,000 threshold. The chart and graph tell the story.

upload_2019-6-17_16-16-47.png
    upload_2019-6-17_16-17-19.png

paddyman98, medjoy and slackaction1 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted