Puck "Cents"

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Phil Ham, May 11, 2013.

1. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

That is why we're collecting them because we like them not because we think that they will appreciate. By the way, I totally disagree with the 10,000 limit. I've seen things appreciate with higher mintages and things languish with lower ones.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Yeah, if I knew the atb's were coming, I would have.

4. statequarterguy

That's a broad statement, not true for all collectables. For U.S. Coins, these atb mintages are miniscule. With any increase in demand, the price should take off. Now, for private company "collectables", I'd agree with you.

5. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

Minuscule? Have you ever looked at population reports on graded coins or modern graded bullion? I have a 1/2 ounce gold graded libretad with a population of 7 that most bullion collectors would love, I value it at about 1.3x melt...five years from now I would bet good money that I can pick these pucks up at no more than 1.1x melt from dealers and even better from local adds I put out looking for silver.

Troodon likes this.
  6. statequarterguy

You mentioned several factors that I avoid. First, I’m not willing to pay much of a premium for high grade mint state or proof coins – so the only population reports I’m concerned with are mintage figures. Second, I stay away from foreign coins, since 90% of the coin market in the U.S. is U.S. coins. If that Libertad were a U.S. coin, you can bet it would be worth a lot more than 1.3x. Third, I only buy bullion if it’s also legal tender in the U.S. – it’s called U.S. coin collecting for a reason, private or foreign mints don’t count.

It’s all about supply and demand. Aside from the problem with foreign coins in the U.S., there are fewer collectors of gold coins, due to the higher cost of gold, so lower mintages are required to add significant numismatic value. Silver coins have a larger collector base - take for example the ASE's with typical mintages for collector issues in the 100k to 200k range, which command significant premiums over melt.

Yeah, currently atb 5 oz’ers have low demand, thus low mintages. Some U.S. coin collectors have done quite well buying low mintage out of favor issues, as most U.S. coins with low mintages eventually “have their day”. Yeah, you may be able to pick up P mint atb 5 oz’ers for 1.1x someday, but I’m betting not. With mintages this low, pm content won't even been a factor in the coin's price.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  7. Mr Roots

Legal tender in the US...lol....you hedging 5 ounces of silver with a quarter dollar..?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    Troodon likes this.
  8. statequarterguy

Nothing to do with using bullion to hedge, although the 5 oz of bullion is a bonus with the pucks. It has everything to do with very low mintage U.S. coins and darn beautiful designs.

9. statequarterguy

Looks like Rushmore may be sold out. With 23,477 sold as of 12/8, the order page currently shows backordered, as is the way the mint initially lists sold out products.

10. stewart dandis

stewart dandis Well-Known Member

I dunno,

2011-W ASE 5 pc. set, 100,000 sets, issued at $300 a set.
    Still selling for $700+ per set.

Many more examples including most of the 2012-P ATB pucks.

11. stewart dandis

They seem very popular.

12. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

The Rushmore is a great looking puck but it is not alone in this series. It think that the pucks will be one of the most sought after mint products. The mint has done good with this one.

13. Mr Roots

That's called hype and in the coin world it can take years and years for it to die down unlike sports cards when a player goes on a slump and the card drops in price at the same time.....Could you give me some examples pre 85..?

Troodon likes this.
  14. stewart dandis

Sure,

1798 Half Eagle, 24,867
    1920-S Eagle, 126,500
    1916 SLQ, 52,000
    1909-S VDB, 484,000
    1793 Chain Cent, 36,103.......................................................................................

15. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

and
    1928 Peace Dollar 360,694
    1916-D Mercury Dime 264,000
    1877 Indian Head Cent 852,200
    1894 Morgan Dollar 110,972
    1895-O Morgan Dime 440,000

16. Mr Roots

One big diffrence, those coins were circulated, not meant to be collectables and weren't sought after till years/decades later.

On the bright side the puck will never be worth less than silver. I won't lie I've payed premiums on bullion that I enjoy owning and that's all that really matters, but to think of these as a numismatic investment is laughable.

Troodon likes this.
  17. statequarterguy

With US coin collecting it doesn’t matter if the coins were meant for circulation or not, it’s all about supply & demand. There are plenty of collector only issues with higher mintages that have skyrocketed and continue to increase (as some of these pucks are doing). Down the road the pm content of these puck will be only a fraction of their worth.

18. bg35765

bg35765 Member

Classic commemoratives were not meant to circulate and almost all of them had mintages over 10,000. They didn't come in the capsules like we have today either, so many did circulate or get cleaned at some point.

But they were meant to be collectibles, are still collectable, and have appreciated in value in the long run. (I understand they aren't as popular as they once were.)

Back on topic: I bought 5 extra of the Mt. Rushmore 5 oz. Even at the maximum mintage of 25,000 this one will be a winner.

19. stewart dandis

Laughable is correct....the owners of a few 2012-P Hawaii Pucks are laughing all the way to the bank. Don't you wish you had bought about 2 0r 3 dozen? Two sold last week, $600 and $700, pretty good investment, YA?

Oh yeah, good observation on the classic commemoratives bg35765.

20. Mr Roots

Never said they were a bad investment for flippers. I'm not seeing much of the flipper mentality in this thread what so ever.

Troodon likes this.
  21. stewart dandis

Draft saved Draft deleted