Featured Prusias II and the Roman Republic

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sulla80, Jul 19, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

upload_2020-7-19_12-1-25.png
    Public Domain, Thanks to the Getty Museum Open Content Program

In a previous post, I shared a coin from Pergamon, Mysia. @Shea19 added a coin of Prussias II, King of Bithynia, who took territory from Pergamon....here's my new addition, a coin of Prusias II. Researching the coin has been a wandering path with stops in Pergamon, Bithynia, Thessaly, the Seleucid Empire, Rome and Carthage.
    Prusias II Cynegos Bithynia.jpg
    Kings of Bithynia, Prusias II Cynegos, reigned 182-149 BC, Nikomedia, Bronze Æ
    Obv: Draped bust of Dionysos right, wearing ivy wreath
    Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ΠΡΟYΣIOY, the centaur Chiron standing right, cloak over shoulder, playing lyre, to lower right, monogram.
    Size: 22mm, 6.25g
    Ref: Lindgren 201 (Kings of Bithynia), BMC 10, CoinProject 246689; AMC 3026;

According to Greek mythology, Mt. Pelion on the Magnesia peninsula, was home to the centaurs. Chiron was revered as oracle, healer and teacher of many heroes including Achilles and Perseus. Another myth tells of Dionysos raping Nikaia, the nymph of the springs or fountain of the Greek colony of Nikaia in Bithynia. What would the Bithynians see in these images? For now, I don't have more.

Bythinia was north of Pergamon, on the south shore of the Black Sea, just across from Byzantium.
    upload_2020-7-19_12-29-36.png
    Public Domain Map 1923

Rome Looks East

The end of the Second Carthaginian War, freed the Roman republic to turn its attention east. After 195 BC, seven years after the Roman victory of Zama against Carthage in the Second Punic War, Hannibal, the great Carthaginian general, fled Carthage to escape being turned over to the Romans. He was taken in by Antiochus III, King of the Seleucid empire, who was at war with Rome.
    Seleucid Antiochus.jpg
    Seleukid Kingdom, Antiochos III Megas, 223-187 BC, Antioch
    Obv: diademed head right
    Rev: [AN]TIOXOY - [ΒΑ]ΣΙΛΕΩΣ, Apollo on omphalos seated left
    Size: 16mm, 2.45g

Antiochus III wrote to Prusias I, father to Prusias II, in BC 190, the king of Bithynia, about his fear of Roman oppression and to ask for his support.

“In this dispatch, he bitterly complained of the Roman expedition to Asia; they had come, he wrote, to deprive them all of their crowns so that there might be no sovereignty but that of the Romans anywhere in the world; Philip and Nabis had been reduced to submission; he, Antiochus, was to be the third victim; like a spreading conflagration they would envelop all, as each lay nearest to the one already overthrown. Now that Eumenes had voluntarily accepted the yoke of servitude, it would be but a step from Antiochus to Bithynia.”
    -Livy, History of Rome 37.25

The Romans were more persuasive. They shared with Prusias I the benefits of friendship, amicitia, with Rome. In 190 BC, Hannibal fought the Romans, leading the Seleucid fleet in the Battle of Eurymedon, a major defeat for Hannibal and the Antiochus III. Prusias stayed neutral and did not support Antiochus III, who was defeated by the Romans in 188 BC. Hannibal was soon, again looking for safe harbor from the Romans and ended up in the court of Prusias I, fighting for Prusias against Eumenes II of Pergamon, a Roman ally.

Hannibal’s Death
    Prusias II took over from his father in 182 BC. Close to the last year of Prusias I, and the first year of Prusias II (181-183 BC), one or perhaps both under pressure from Rome, betrayed Hannibal. Hannibal surrounded by Roman soldiers took his own life.

“The guards surrounded the house so closely that no one could slip out of it. When Hannibal was informed that the king's soldiers were in the vestibule, he tried to escape through a postern gate which afforded the most secret means of exit. He found that this too was closely watched and that guards were posted all-round the place. Finally, he called for the poison which he had long kept in readiness for such an emergency. "Let us," he said, "relieve the Romans from the anxiety they have so long experienced, since they think it tries their patience too much to wait for an old man's death.”
    -Livy, The History of Rome 39.51

Cornelius Nepos, Lives of Emminent Commanders, tells a similar story in Hannibal 23.12.

The Romans Defeat the Macedonians
    The Romans defeated Perseus of Macedon in 168 BC at the Battle of Pydna, during the Third Macedonian War. This coin depicts the king and his two sons, captives from the victory, with the relative of the moneyer, the Roman general Lucius Aemilius Paullus.
    Lepidus Concordia b.jpg
    L. Aemilius Lepidus Paullus, 62 BC, AR Denarius, Rome mint
    Obv: Veiled and diademed head of Concordia right
    Rev: Trophy; to left, three captives (King Perseus of Macedon and his two sons) standing right; to right, Paullus standing left
    Ref: Crawford 415/1; Sydenham 926; Aemilia 10

King Prusias II goes to Rome

King Prusias II chose this moment to go to Rome and request a gift of territory as a friend of Rome and in exchange for the services he had provided during the war against Macedonia.

“During the year Prusias went to Rome with his son Nicomedes. He entered the City amid a large concourse, and proceeded through the streets to the tribunal of Q. Cassius the praetor, surrounded by a crowd of citizens. Addressing the praetor, he said that he had come to pay reverence to the gods of the City, to salute the senate and citizens of Rome, and to congratulate them on their victory over Perseus and Gentius, and the extension of their sway by the subjugation of the Macedonians and Illyrians.”
    Livy, History of Rome 45.44

Polybius portrays Prusias as obsequious, going to undignified lengths to show subservience to Rome. Prusias left his son, Nicomedes II, in the care of the Roman Senate. Nicomedes II would eventually push his father out of the way and take over as king and ally to Rome.

The image in gold, tempera colors, and ink on parchment that starts this post, from AD 1413-1415, shows Prusias II, a cautionary tale, a beggar in his last days, deposed by his son and punished by God for his betrayal of Hannibal and violation of the laws of hospitality.

As always, additional information and corrections are appreciated. Post your coins of Bithynia, centaurs, Dionysos or anything else you find interesting or entertaining.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@Sulla80 !!! Wow, nice finds! Prussus during Hannibal's betrayal, very nice!

Thanks for the succinct write-ups!...

First Makedon / Macedonia Province coin:

upload_2020-7-19_14-7-24.png
    RR Prv Macedon Province 168-166 BC Tamios Quaestor Athena Cow - Eeyore

Kinda like this one as it is Roman Dioscuri Galloping OVER Makedon Shields... (take THAT, @Ryro ) LOL.

upload_2020-7-19_14-10-18.png
    RR T Quinctius Flamininus 126 BC AR Den Roma Diosc gallpng T-Q Macedon Shield S 143 Cr 267-1

Aemilius Lepidus Paullus
    Have an extra, not because I upgraded. It was more as: "Oooops... forgot I had this..."

upload_2020-7-19_14-4-42.png
    RR Aemilius Lepidus Paullus 62 BCE Concordia Perseus Maced captv Sear 366 Craw 415-1 XF

upload_2020-7-19_14-5-30.png
    RR Aemilius Lepidus Paullus 62 BCE Concordia Perseus Macedon captive Sear 366 Craw 415-1

Shea19, ominus1, Pavlos and 11 others like this.
  4. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I see that you've adopted the practice of referring to coins like this as "Roman Republican Provincial," rather than the traditional "Greek." I approve!

TIF and Alegandron like this.
  5. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

Nicomedes lV Philopator tetradrachm 88/7 BC
    Obv: Diademed head of Nicomedes ll right
    Rev: Zeus Stratios standing in Himeiton holding wreath in LH and Sceptre in other.
    Eagle on thunderbolt under Left arm, below monogram, below ΙΣ date Bithynian-Pontic era 210 = 88/7 BC
    ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟΥΣ NIKOMHΔOY
    16.19g 34.4 mm
    de Callatay: NEW

He was in Rome at this time when Socrates Chresto booted him out on Mithridate's orders

[​IMG]

Shea19, ominus1, Pavlos and 8 others like this.
  6. Sulla80

Thanks, @Alegandron, I have to say I like that Eeyore coin...and I don't fully understand the concept of "extra" when it comes to Paullus. Crawford estimates that I am still missing ~237 obverse dies...
    Paullus Lepidus Study.jpg

Shea19, ominus1, Pavlos and 10 others like this.
  7. Alegandron

Never adopted that practice. Never called them Greek! They weren't. I always had called them "Roman Republic Provincial." (This is when I change Makedon to Macedon.) Note my postings before we had discussed what to call them.

The Republic were the ones that started Provinces, ever since they took Sicily and Sardinia from the Carthage Empire.

The Republic virtually had most of the Empire that the Emperor's after Augustus had said they obtained!

Roman Republic at the Death of Caesar.
    upload_2020-7-19_14-43-37.png
    www.gethistory.co.uk

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Pavlos, TIF, DonnaML and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Another wonderful write up:singing:
    And wonderful Prousias twosias! I really like @Alegandron 's example as well... oh wait, it doesn't appear here has one;)
    Here's my example of the man of the hour:
    Screenshot_20200719-133447_PicCollage.jpg
    Prousias II Kynegos
    KINGS of BITHYNIA.. 182-149 BC. Æ (15mm, 3.07 g, 12h). Nikomedeia mint. Struck circa 181-179 BC(?). Head of Hermes right, wearing petasos / Kerykeion. RG 22; HGC 7, 630. VF, green patina. Rare.

Of course Megas gave us a wonderfully sexy:kiss:Macedonian shield example:
    20190503_142549_16BFB532-AB6D-4396-AFF1-3DCE8330AB28-489-000000AEB250706D(1).png
    Antiochos III Megas
    Seleukid Kingdom. Uncertain (military) mint 60. 223-187 BC. Struck 202-187 BC Bronze Æ 17mm., 4,60g. Macedonian shield with gorgoneion in central boss / ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑNΤΙΟΧΟΥ, elephant walking right, anchor above, monogram of ΠΑ below. very fine SC 1089.3a; HGC 9, 490
    Former: Savoca

And yes, the Romans steam rolled all in their path, including macedon... but did they have to run over the beautiful shields?!?!:(:rage::drowning:
    20191109_112627_CD93453C-32BB-44B5-BFAE-E0D185387149-223-00000010E256BE58(1).jpg

Shea19, Pavlos, zumbly and 9 others like this.
  9. Alegandron

LOL.

TIF, Sulla80 and Ryro like this.
  10. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

PrusiasIICentuar.jpg
    KINGS of BITHYNIA. Prusias II Cynegos. 182-149 BC. Æ (22mm, 4.08 gm). Obv: Head of Dionysos right, wearing ivy-wreath. Rev: Centaur Chiron walking right, playing lyre; monogram ΛΦ below raised foreleg. SNG Copenhagen 640.

Shea19, Pavlos, zumbly and 9 others like this.
  11. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

You and I very much agree, but I don't think we're ever going to get the RPC people, or other catalogers in general, to agree that there were "Roman Provincial coins" well before 27 BCE!

Ryro and Alegandron like this.
  12. Alegandron

As you get to know me better, you will find that I may not agree, nor adopt “normal convention”. I always felt that you must cut your own path in life. Besides, most of those old references just made up what they wanted it to be. Hey, what is a Celator?

I like to challenge. Just because it has been cited forever, never always means it is correct. :)

Sulla80, Ryro and DonnaML like this.
  13. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Very informative write-up. I have but a single Prusias II -
    Bithynia Prusias II - AE Herakles Feb 2018 (0).jpg

Bithynia Dichalkon Æ 19
    Prusias II Cynegos
    (c. 182-149 B.C.)

Head of Prusias II right wearing winged diadem / ΒΑΣΙΛΕ[ΩΣ] ΠΡΟYΣΙΟΥ Herakles standing front, holding club and lion skin; MHT monogram right.
    SNG Copenhagen 632-633; RecGen 25, monogram 5.
    (3.82 grams / 19 mm)

Shea19, Alegandron, Pavlos and 7 others like this.
  14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Thanks for the great writeup on Prusias II, @Sulla80. I like this type enough to have three of them. :shame:

[​IMG] BITHYNIA, KINGS OF. Prusias II Cynegus
    AE22. 6.38g, 21.9mm. Nikomedia mint, circa 182-149 BC. SNG Cop 635; RecGen 26; HGC 7, 629. O: Head of Dionysos to right, wearing wreath of ivy and fruit. R: BAΣILEΩΣ ΠPOYΣIOY, Chiron the Centaur advancing right, playing kithara; monogram below raised foreleg.
    Ex stevex6 Collection; ex Dr. Lawrence D. Sporty Collection (CNG 393, 15 March 2017, lot 75); CNG 253, 6 April 2011, lot 91

[​IMG]

BITHYNIA, KINGS OF. Prusias II Cynegus
    AE21. 5.53g, 20.8mm. Nikomedia mint, circa 182-149 BC. SNG Copenhagen 636-7; Lafaille 430 (this coin); HGC 7, 629. O: Head of Dionysos to right, wearing wreath of ivy and fruit. R: [BAΣI]ΛEΩΣ - ΠΡΟYΣIOY, Chiron the Centaur advancing right, playing kithara; to lower right, monogram.
    Ex CGB Monnaeies 49, 30 June 2011, lot 201; ex stock Crédit de la Bourse, 1993; ex Maurice Laffaille Collection (Münzen & Medaillen 76, 19-20 September 1991, lot 430)

bithynia prusias chiron.jpg
    BITHYNIA, KINGS OF. Prusias II Cynegus
    AE24. 4.54g, 24.4mm. Nikomedia mint, circa 182-149 BC. SNG Copenhagen 635; HGC 7, 629. O: Head of Dionysos to right, wearing wreath of ivy and fruit. R: [BAΣI]ΛEΩΣ - ΠΡΟYΣIOY, Chiron the Centaur advancing right, playing kithara; to lower right, monogram.

15. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Very nice write up and great coins! I yet have to pick up a nice coin of Prusias II.

I do can share an Antiochos III tiny bronze coin minted in Antioch:
    [​IMG]
    Antiochos III Megas (223 - 187 B.C.) Denomination E (Quarter), Antioch mint, ca. 223-211 B.C.
    Obverse:
    Laureate head of Apollo right, with short hair.
    Reverse: ΒΑΣΙΛEΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ (“of King Antiochos”). Apollo standing left, testing arrow and resting left hand on grounded bow.
    Reference: SC 1059.
    1.20g; 12mm

16. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...is that all?!....and here i thought i'd wuz havin' a large scope with all the Roman emperors..:rolleyes:

Sulla80 likes this.
  17. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

I was out of town and I missed this one...great post @Sulla80 !

I love the centaur reverse types in this thread... you, @zumbly , and @PeteB have some beautiful examples. Here’s my Prusias II bronze with a Herakles reverse type.

E05E5F9B-F22E-418C-8EB1-41366143FE17.jpeg
    Kings of Bithynia, Prusias II Cynegos, 182-149 BC, AE Dichalkon (18 mm, 4.28 g). Head of Prusias II to right, wearing winged diadem. Rev. ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ - ΠΡΟYΣΙΟΥ Herakles standing front, head to left, holding club set on ground in his right hand and lion skin in his left; to lower right, monogram.

zumbly, Alegandron, Sulla80 and 4 others like this.
  18. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Great coin, Shea19!

Shea19 likes this.
  19. Sulla80

I am still watching out for a Herakles - nice coin.

Shea19 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted