Featured A Tropaion : Turning Point to Victory

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Sulla80, May 2, 2020.

1. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

This "Greek" coin from Pergamon was the research puzzle that FedEx brought this week:
    Mysia Pergamon 133-127 blu.jpg
    Mysia, Pergamon, 159-133 BC, Æ (20mm,7.25g, 12h)
    Obv: Helmeted head of Athena right
    Rev: ΑΘΗΝΑΣ ΝΙΚΗΦΟΡΟΥ, military trophy facing, monogram left of trophy and right of legend

What is a tropaion?
    The reverse of this coin as what drew my attention to this coin, a large "tropaion" or trophy which can be found over many years on ancient coins like this Roman Republican denarius from L. Aemilius Lepidus Paullus, 62 BC:
    aemilia 10.jpg

and this Roman Imperial denarius from Septimius Severus struck around AD 194:
    Spetimius Severus Tropaion.jpg

A tropaion is an archaic Greek style, battle trophy (from tropê which translates to “turning point”). It is a branched tree decorated with the shields, armor and weapons of the defeated enemy that would be set up at the location where the battle had taken a turn toward victory.

Where is Pergamon?
    The coin was minted at Pergamon, Mysia, on the western edge of modern Turkey, as seen in this map van der Heyden (1960), Atlas of the Classical World. upload_2020-5-2_12-41-42.png

What is the mintmark?

The first puzzle for me of this coin is the mintmark. Reverse variants can be found in several references with one matching reference found. Reviewing ACSearch there are 3 different mintmarks in two different positions (left and right) of which the #1 (two variants) looks closest to mine (on left):

upload_2020-5-2_15-17-47.png

Out of 148 coins reviewed on ACSearch:
    • no monogram - 100 coins or 67.6%
    • #1 (a and b) - 13 (left) coins or 8.8%
    • #2 (a and b) - 2 (left) 20 (right) combined 14.9%
    • #3 - 13 (left) coins or 8.8%
    All of which leaves unanswered - what do these represent? #2a a match to this mintmark of Pergamon from an AR Cistophoric tetradrachm:
    upload_2020-5-2_19-21-6.png
    and the others?

Wroth (1892), Catalogue of the Greek Coins of Mysia p.130 - also here at @Ed Snible's site (references only mintmark #2a Edit: checking Wroth again and looking at the next page...#179, there's my monogram #1a from my list along with a couple of others)
    Wroth 179 Nikephoros.jpg

Hill, editor (1906), Corolla Numismatica Plate II, #35 (a mintmark that I didn't see on ACSearch)
    upload_2020-5-2_12-14-1.png

Hansen (1971), The Attalids of Pergamon (references #2a)
    upload_2020-5-2_15-28-56.png

Johnston (1981), Monograph 7, Greek, Roman and Islamic Coins of Sardis
    (another mintmark that I didn't see - close to #1a)
    upload_2020-5-2_13-1-12.png

When was this coin minted?
    The second puzzle is the date: Wroth placed these coins under Roman Rule between 133 BC and the reign of Augustus. Later references align with von Fritze's argument in 1906 "Chronology of the autonomous coins of Pergamon" that style and other evidence place these coins in the period before Roman rule (133 BC) and after 200 - the later period of the Pergamene kingdom.

Eumenes II ruled the Pergemene Empire 197–159 BC and with help from the Romans was victorious over the Gauls and King Prousias of Bythinia in 183 BC, earning him the name "Nikephoros" (Bringer of victory). And with that we are back to tropê and a turning point to victory for Eumenes II. In 181 BC, he established the festival of Athena Nikephoros at Pergamon. The obverse of this coins features a portrait of Athena Nikephoros and the reverse legend spells out ΑΘΗΝΑΣ ΝΙΚΗΦΟΡΟΥ. These coins may have been issued as coins for subsequent festivals under the reigns of Eumenes II's brother and successor in 159 BC, Attalus II, and his nephew and successor, Attalus III. Attalus III willed his empire and Pergamon to Rome after his death in 133 BC. There is much more to this story, but already this post has gotten far too long...

As always, additions, references and corrections are appreciated. Post your coins of Tropaions, or Athena Nikephoros, or anything else that you find interesting or entertaining.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    cmezner, robinjojo, svessien and 34 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

Athens New Style Tetradrachm 156/5 BC
    Obs : Athena Parthenos right in tri-form helmet
    32mm 16.82gm Thompson issue 9
    Thompson catalogue: Obs 43 : Rev: (not in plates)/ NEW?
    Rev : ΑΘΕ ethnic
    Owl standing on overturned panathenaic amphora
    2 Complex magistrates monograms in right field
    LF symbol: Trophy
    All surrounded by olive wreath

[​IMG]

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice article. Thanks.

Carl Wilmont and Sulla80 like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Great write-up, @Sulla80 ! I love antiquarian numismatic references! Cool exploration of the etymology of trophy, too!

Here's a tropaion-style trophy on a Roman imperial issue:

Severus PART MAX PM TRP X COS III PP Denarius.jpg
    Septimius Severus, AD 193-211.
    Roman AR Denarius, 3.26 g, 19.7mm, 1 h.
    Rome, AD 202.
    Obv: SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head, right.
    Rev: PART MAX PM TRP X COS III PP, trophy, with captives seated left and right at base.
    Refs: RIC 185; BMCRE 385-87; Cohen 375; RCV 6323; Hill 550.

6. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

A very informative write-up Sulla80. I am saving this post to my permanent reference file for these.

Here it is mine with my effort at attribution (monogram 3, I believe):

Pergamum - Athena & Trophy lot Oct 2019 (0).jpg
    Pergamum, Mysia Æ 17
    (c. 200-27 B.C.)

Helmeted head of Athena right / [AΘ]HNAΣ [NI]KHΦOΡOY, trophy comprised of a helmet and a cuirass. ΘA monogram in left field.
    SNG Cop 396; SNG BN 1875; SNG von Aulock 1374; Mionnet Supp. V, 896.
    (6.31 grams / 17 mm)

What would really thrill me is if somebody could identify this countermarked issue - it appears to be a club (a knobby club, like Herakles'), but I could find nothing about it:

CM - Pergamon club countermark Feb 18 (0).jpg
    Pergamum, Mysia Æ 19
    (c. 200-27 B.C.)

Helmeted head of Athena right / AΘHNA[Σ] [N]IKHΦOΡO[Y] to left & right of trophy of arms. O on ΔI monogram in left field.
    Weber 5198; BMC 179.
    Countermark: Club of Hercules reverse. Unattributed.
    (4.87 grams / 17 x 19 mm)

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Oh, and there's this one, too!

Egnatuleius quinarius.jpg
    Gaius Egnatuleius, c.f. 97 BC.
    Roman Republican AR quinarius, 1.68 g, 15.9 mm, 11 h.
    Rome, 97 BC.
    Obv: C·EGNATVLEI·C·F·Q, Laureate head of Apollo, right.
    Rev: Victory left, inscribing shield attached to trophy; beside trophy, carnyx; Q in center field; ROMA in exergue.
    Refs: Crawford RRC 333/1; Sydenham CRR 588; BMCRR1 1076-77; Sear RCV 213.
    Notes: In the obverse inscription, NAT and VL as monograms. Issued to honor Marius' victories over the Teutones and Ambrones at Aquae Sextiae in 102 B.C. and the Cimbri at Vercellae in 101 B.C. Crawford suggests this issue financed settlement of Marius' veterans, partly in Cisalpine Gaul. Sear (p. 113) notes, "The duplication of 'Q' suggests that on the reverse it may be intended as a mark of value rather than the designation of the issuer as a quaestor."

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  8. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

a palladium is also a sort of throphy:

P1170772 207 AD Mars (2).JPG

his brother has a real thropy , probably got it from his dad

Geta as Caesar.JPG

9. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Great post and coin, @Sulla80, very interesting writeup. Here is a bronze of Prusias II, who also had some major losses against Pergamon.

7DFDA1D0-4F7F-4615-8721-9A6E044986DA.jpeg
    Kings of Bithynia, Prusias II Cynegos, 182-149 BC, AE Dichalkon (18 mm, 4.28 g). Head of Prusias II to right, wearing winged diadem. Rev. ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ - ΠΡΟYΣΙΟΥ Herakles standing front, head to left, holding club set on ground in his right hand and lion skin in his left; to lower right, monogram.

And a couple of trophys:

BC92E31A-034D-422A-86E5-8F20C6F7399D.jpeg
    Trajan, AE Dupondius, circa 105-111, (28mm., 13.22g.) Radiate head right/ Rev. Trophy of arms, two shields at base; S-C across fields. RIC 586.

D5EEC6C1-A1E3-48D0-BF72-D3505354485F.jpeg
    Geta, as Caesar, AR Denarius (19 mm, 3.23 g), Rome, 200-202. Bare-headed and draped bust of Geta to right/ Rev. PRINC IVVENTVTIS, Geta, standing left in military attire, holding baton in his right hand and spear with his left; behind, trophy. RIC 18.

10. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

This was a really enjoyable read @Sulla80 thank you for posting. I have one coin with a military trophy from Trajan.
    51194q00.jpg
    Trajan AR Denarius, Rome mint, 107 - 111 A.D.
    18.6 mm, 3.022g
    Obv: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC PM TR P P, laureate bust right, slight drapery on left shoulder.
    Rev: COS V PP SPQR OPTIMO PRINC, Mars walking left, in military garb, trophy in left.
    RIC II 114

11. Sulla80

Thanks, distracted by your coin in general, at first I overlooked the trophy:
    upload_2020-5-2_20-13-40.png
    As do I, interesting to see the interconnected line of thought that builds (and can get distorted as well) over many years.
    Thanks for sharing your two examples, and glad you enjoyed to post. I have no help to offer on the "club countermark" - it is an interesting example.
    Thanks - interesting to see a coin of neighboring Bythinia. I don't have a Prusias or Prusias II...I guess I still have options for a "next coin".

12. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

The only coin with a trophy I have is this one:

Roman Republic Denarius 119 BCE - Obv. Janus; Rev. Roma crowning trophy.jpg

Roman Republic, M Fovri L.f. Philus, AR Denarius 119 BCE. Obv. Laureate head of Janus, M•FOVRI•L•F around / Rev. Roma with Corinthian helmet standing left holding scepter, crowning trophy* surmounted by helmet and flanked by carnyx and shield on each side, Gallic arms around; star above, ROMA to right, PHLI in exergue. RSC I Furia 18 (ill.), Crawford 281/1, Sydenham 529, Sear RCV I 156 (ill.). 20.13 mm., 3.66 g.

*According to Crawford (Vol. I p. 297), this reverse probably refers to "the defeat of the Allobroges and Arverni and the triumphs of 120 [BCE]."

13. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Thanks for the interesting and informative write-up! I didn't know about the historical connection to Eumenes II, so I learned something from you today.

My own example of this Pergamon type could in FSR terms be described as "somewhat crude," and it also requires better photography at some point. It's identifiable as monogram #2a (right).

Magna Graecia – Mysien, Pergamon, Athene und Trophäe.png

My better trophies are all Roman:

Römische Republik – Denar, Furius, Janus:Victoria mit Trophäe und carnyx.png
    Roman Republic, moneyer: M. Furius L. f. Philus, AR denarius, 119 BC, Rome mint. Obv: M. FOVRI. L. F; head of Janus. Rev: ROMA; Roma standing l., holding sceptre, crowns trophy with carnyx and two shields; in exergue, PHL I. 19mm, 3.81g. Ref: RRC 281/1.

Römische Republik – Quinar, T. Cloelius, Jupiter, Victoria mit Trophäe, Gefangenem und carnyx.png
    Roman Republic, moneyer: T. Cloelius, AR quinarius, 98 BC, Rome mint. Obv: head of Jupiter, laureate, r., control mark .C. before. Rev: T.CLOVLI; Victory standing r. crowns trophy with seated captive and carnyx; in exergue, Q. 16mm, 1.9g. Ref: RRC 332/1c.

14. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..kool info and coins :)..i think the trophy reverses are most interesting... antigonos ll gonatas  pan reverse 001.JPG antigonos ll gonatas  pan reverse 002.JPG Marcus Aurelius- Trajan denarii 001.JPG Marcus Aurelius- Trajan denarii 002.JPG Marcus Aurelius- Trajan denarii 003.JPG Marcus Aurelius- Trajan denarii 004.JPG .bronze Antigonus ll gonatas Pan & trophy reverse . Marcus and Tajan denarii with trophy reverses.

15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Excellent write up and great coins, @Sulla80 !

Here is a different one...

Hannibal’s Occupation of Capua.
    Promise to make Capua the capital of Italia once he exterminates Rome...
    [​IMG]
    Campania Capua
    216-214 BCE
    Æ Uncia 20.5mm 6.1g
    Laureate head of Jupiter r star value l
    Victory trophy star value r (in Oscan KAPU retrograde)
    Campania, Monete 21 HN Italy 493

16. Carl Wilmont

Carl Wilmont Well-Known Member

Very informative and interesting write-up @Sulla80!

I've enjoyed examining the various tropaion examples above.

It's somewhat difficult to see on this coin of Domitian, but that's a trophy in Victory's left hand on the reverse. This was struck as part of the Flavian series of Judaea Capta coins at Caesarea Maritima.

Domition Obverse.jpg
    Domition Reverse.jpg

Domitian (81-96 AD). Bronze. 23.8 mm. 8.30 g.

17. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great informative write-up @Sulla80. I would have thought that a trophy would symbolize a victory, not a turning point! I only have Roman throphies, here are two:
    14.3.png
    20.6.png

18. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

Excellent write up! And wonderful coins.

I agree that the trophy nikephoros issues were before Roman rule. I remember seeing a coin of this type that had a monogram that was also found on early cistophorus minted in Sardis.
    This suggests that 1. They were struck over different mints controlled in the empire. 2. They were minted contemporary with the cistophorus.

A pergamene coin that perhaps is also minted before Roman rule:
    [​IMG]
    Mysia, Pergamon. Asklepios bronze coin. (Mid-late 2nd century B.C.)
    Obverse:
    Laureate head of Asklepios right
    Reverse: Serpent entwined around staff of Asklepios. ΑΣΚΛΗΠΙΟΥ ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ.
    Reference: SNG von Aulock 1373, SNG Cop. 370-376.
    4.03g; 15mm

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  19. Sulla80

a very nice coin! a long way from the the end of the second Punic Way. Rome was not as easy to exterminate as he hoped.

A nice Asclepius. Still more more info on the the OP coin related to your #1 on mints: in M7 p74 Johnston & Buttrey question whether they were struck in multiple cities or struck for multiple cities in Pergamon:
    upload_2020-5-3_12-46-25.png
    There is a ΔIO monogram listed at @David@PCC's site associated with a coin of Sardes that matches my #1a monogram, although I have trouble seeing the "o" on the the coin listed.

Some additional inscriptions from 182 BC declaring the festival of Eumenes II, "the musical contest equal to the Pythian games and the gymnastic and horse-racing contests equal to the Olympic games".

20. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Here is a clearer example from the Bibliothèque nationale de France
    Screenshot_20200503-143738_Samsung Internet.jpg

21. Valens

Valens Well-Known Member

My little discovery
    Is it possible to make a very interesting discovery with the help of a coin? I think I was able to do that.

While looking through the reverse of the wanted and valued Trajan sester on the web, I noticed something very interesting.

I am talking about the Trajan coin where it is commonly seen is the Danube bridge (simplified) designed by Apollodoros of Damascus.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted